Unofficial Mills

Vernon Kay Leaving?

James R

Vernon leaving? In his mind, I think he'd like a stint as Dr Who according to something filmed while he had Karen Gillan on his show the other weekend...

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2010/05/karen-gillan-vernon-kay-act-out-scene.html

I'm sure this interview caused Tess to watch even more closely, poor thing.

If this show ever does materialize on ABC it won't last long. The track record for British presenters here isn't exactly great on mainstream networks. Ant and Dec failed spectacularly, Jimmy Carr lasted just a season with his game show, and I could go on and on. I like Vernon well enough, just don't think the rest of America will take to him.

i think it's also a case of most (not all of course) americans not liking british culture/people, i don't understand why radio 1 is still on sirius by now. they get all the songs months before us anyway. it shows they aren't interested in us when they think we don't have any such thing as regional accents, and we all speak incredibly posh like the queen. pisses me off a bit.

vernon wouldn't last there i agree, he should carry on with what he's doing over here. regardless if it's with radio 1 or not.

on the grid.

If this show ever does materialize on ABC it won't last long. The track record for British presenters here isn't exactly great on mainstream networks. Ant and Dec failed spectacularly, Jimmy Carr lasted just a season with his game show, and I could go on and on. I like Vernon well enough, just don't think the rest of America will take to him.

They seem to work as occasional supporting guys though, like the British guy on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, even if he does sound really out of place on that show.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...

i think it's also a case of most (not all of course) americans not liking british culture/people, i don't understand why radio 1 is still on sirius by now. they get all the songs months before us anyway. it shows they aren't interested in us when they think we don't have any such thing as regional accents, and we all speak incredibly posh like the queen. pisses me off a bit.

vernon wouldn't last there i agree, he should carry on with what he's doing over here. regardless if it's with radio 1 or not.

I'm not sure if it's Americans not liking British culture and people, more that the bulk of folks here are just so US-centric in their thinking and ignorant of the world around them, especially as you get towards the middle third of the country. I don't think it's a specific anti-British bias here... just ignorance all around.

That said, even in my own circle of friends I know plenty of people who tune into Radio 1 on Sirius and XM, and tons more who tune into BBC America and the other channels carrying British programming here. Shows like Top Gear and Doctor Who and the growing popularity of Premier League Football here are really starting to turn the tide even further.

The nation as a whole doesn't take well to new game shows anymore... so it'll be about a week or two of Vernon and that'll be it. That is, if the show even hits air. Tons of pilots get filmed here and never see the light of day.