Unofficial Mills

Madonna is Ma-Gonna!

Jono

Since when have listeners to the Today programme had a chance to decide how Radio 1 is run?

erm they pay the license fee, read the Daily Fail, think that the music played on R1 encourages their children go out & stab people, get drunk, take drugs & not become a valuable contributing member of society.

Yeah, PR4L is all part of the Radio 4 conspiracy. EF4L is uncovering it now. He's jealous she's even nicking his abbreviations.

its not a conspiracy, its fact !

i'm not jealous about PR4L, credit must go to WF4L for that ;)

:)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viv, I think you're too close to Madonna to be able to rationally decide whether Celebration is a good Madonna song or not!

I LOVE Madonna. I'm one of her biggest fans and now that Michael Jackson has passed away there is no-one that comes close to her for me.

I agree though with the playlist's decision. She's a heritage artist who we should all respect but that doesn't mean she should get automatic rights to Radio 1 and it's playlist. If the young audience Radio 1 is supposed to serve don't care for a Madonna project then we shouldn't be putting it on. This is a greatest Hits album afterall, not a new album.

When I DJ'd in Southampton at the Under 18's club I played Madonna's Hung Up. That was the only song that actually made the entire floor stop dancing. I had to cut it short and go on.

So under 18s are behind what gets played on Radio 1? I think its a disgrace. Sure she has no rights but as this is very likely going to be her 14th UK number 1, doesn't that stand for something?

Yet again its all about age. Celebration isn't much different to Calvin Harris's last number 1 yet he had no problems getting onto the A list.

Radio 1 is the home of new music, is it not? That's where I feel Radio 1 is going wrong. Playing the same artists when there's new stuff out there. So this might be a step in the right direction. It was on X Factor last night and worked well... as a backing track.

So under 18s are behind what gets played on Radio 1?

Well... they are half of the target audience. The chances are it'll be mirrored by those up to twenty five. I'm at university and I'm 21. The stuff that seems to be working at the moment is stuff like Metro Station, Black Eyed Peas and so on. I'll let you know if I hear Madonna's record and what response it gets. But I can't see it being that massive on the dance floor (maybe due to Radio 1's lack of backing though?)

Well... they are half of the target audience. The chances are it'll be mirrored by those up to twenty five.

So why are all the presenters over 25 themselves then? most of them are infact over 30. If they want a younger audience then its the presenters they need to replace..

So why are all the presenters over 25 themselves then? most of them are infact over 30. If they want a younger audience then its the presenters they need to replace..

And that's currently what's happening in a gradual process. I don't agree with it but it's happening. That's why Fearne Cotton and Greg James start presenting day time from September.

And that's currently what's happening in a gradual process. I don't agree with it but it's happening. That's why Fearne Cotton and Greg James start presenting day time from September.

Yeah and its a disgrace.

Britian is infact an ageing population. There are more people over the age of 50 than there is under it.

No wonder Terry Wogan is beating Chris Moyles in the ratings. ;)

Still doesn't mean the Radio 1 playlists aren't fucked up and biased though. U2 slip well out of the under 18s bracket and they have far too much Radio 1 backing.

Yeah and its a disgrace.

Britian is infact an ageing population. There are more people over the age of 50 than there is under it.

But at the end of the day, would you not agree 4 Minutes was much stronger as a single which is why it was constantly played on Radio 1? She headlined the Big Weekend last year - so it's not like Radio 1 dislike her.

But at the end of the day, would you not agree 4 Minutes was much stronger as a single which is why it was constantly played on Radio 1? She headlined the Big Weekend last year - so it's not like Radio 1 dislike her.

Actually I think 4 minutes is one of her worst. I think Hard Candy was a disaster for her. But Celebration is old school Madonna. I'm so shocked its been shunned. I mean its very likely to be number 1 even without radio 1 but I think its madness not at least having it on the C list.

Viv, I can assure you when my show goes live in September, there'll be every Madonna track going on our playlist. We have a masssssive Madge fan on the team!

Which show is this?:)

Actually I think 4 minutes is one of her worst. I think Hard Candy was a disaster for her. But Celebration is old school Madonna. I'm so shocked its been shunned. I mean its very likely to be number 1 even without radio 1 but I think its madness not at least having it on the C list.

Which show is this?:)

Student radio :). We're getting the uni's first ever radio station next month and me and the radio crew have a show on it!

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

Student radio :). We're getting the uni's first ever radio station next month and me and the radio crew have a show on it!

Good luck with it! :D

Anyways, she is number 9 on UK radio airplay so maybe doesn't need radio one after all.

Once she is number 1, I wonder if they will change their tune.

Maybe that's the problem then. Old school Madonna. It was her reinvention that perhaps helped her with the Radio 1 airplay last time. I'll be interested to see if it does make Number 1. I assume Radio 1 will stick to their guns and not add it to the playlist if it does.

First post but I wanted to give my opinion. VV Brown said similar in a recent attack on the station. Which fuels the feeling that people are actually more fed up with the thinking of Radio 1 rather than actually agreeing with them. Its true that Madge has no rights to be added to the playlist. However just because under 18s didn't want to dance along to an Abba tribute doesn't mean that all Radio 1 listeners agree. I would have thought the main core of Radio one listeners was infact mid 20s and up.

Predictions- Radio one will continue to lose listeners to Radio two and Chris Moyles will eventually get the sack for being over 35 and the head of the station will eventually be replaced by a 19 year old A level student with no idea of what they are doing. Oh I forget the last one is already true.

First post but I wanted to give my opinion. VV Brown said similar in a recent attack on the station.

Bit of discussion here about that :) I recognise that the playlist has a lot of issues. I feel Madonna not getting playlisted is however not a major issue in the station's policy. Plus, just because it's not playlisted doesn't mean it's not getting air play though - let's get that straight. Jo Whiley and various other presenters have played it when it was first released to radio stations, and Scott Mills plays it weekly in his Floor Fillers. They just feel it's not right for the playlist to be played several times a day.

However just because under 18s didn't want to dance along to an Abba tribute doesn't mean that all Radio 1 listeners agree. I would have thought the main core of Radio one listeners was infact mid 20s and up.

Would you not agree that Radio 1 is a new music station though? Last time I checked here that was what it was branded as.

Predictions- Radio one will continue to lose listeners to Radio two

Radio 2's range is much bigger than Radio 1. Radio 1 as a whole is doing the best in ten years at the moment.

Chris Moyles will eventually get the sack for being over 35

Yes, eventually... He's been on breakfast over five years now. It's going to happen to all DJs in time.

and the head of the station will eventually be replaced by a 19 year old A level student with no idea of what they are doing. Oh I forget the last one is already true.

It is? I missed that story.

I can't remember whether it was Ben Cooper or Sir Andy of Parfitt who said it, but the age of the presenter has no relevance to their target audience. John Peel always attracted the youngest audience of all Radio 1 shows. Same applies to artists. It's not a case of saying 'why are U2 still being promoted by Radio 1 when Madonna isn't? They're both old'. It's about the appeal of the music, not the age of the artist.

Radio 2's range is much bigger than Radio 1. Radio 1 as a whole is doing the best in ten years at the moment.

R2 are rubbish, even Chris Evans is shadow of his former self :( such a shame he used to be so good.

U2 only had the backing because of the U2=BBC gig and because Moyles' team ramble on about them. In the same way R1 raved about Madonna for the Big Weekend.

yeah but that was ages ago they were mentioned all last week :woohoo: just because they have a stage shaped like a claw thing :woohoo: great stage over-rated music !

:)

Well I think Radio 1 is losing touch with its audience. Its alright saying listeners don't want her but how do they know if they don't test it? she is #9 on radio airplay and that is without a video and without Radio 1.

If Radio 1 is about new music then why are Sugababes and Beyonce - just two artists that have been around over 10 years, on the A List? that doesn't add up does it.

Viv, I think you're too close to Madonna to be able to rationally decide whether Celebration is a good Madonna song or not!

I guess you may have a point.... as a very big fan, I spotted the topic on Saturday, and automatically my head was fizzing too much to put any logic into the situation.

I still can't quite believe that 'Hung Up' managed to stop people on the dancefloor. Good God.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I have to be so careful what I write here for fear it will look like it's a statement from the playlist - and none of this is, these are all my opinions, but a lot of what is being written here is just wrong and it's hard to watch it all said without defending it.

All I'll say is that the premise of the article is wrong. Madonna hasn't been binned by Radio 1, it's coming back for discussion in this week's playlist.

And Cool Sue, new music and new artists are two different things. No-one is against playlisting anything that resonates with our audience (and by that I mean ALL of it, not just the older audience). Beyonce and Sugababes definitely do that well.

As for something being high on radio airplay isn't enough of a reason because a lot of commercial radio in the UK aims at an older audience than Radio 1 does e.g. Capital, Heart networks and Radio 2, so if they all played it (for their older audience) it will ride high on the airplay chart.

Hmm. Do the words Viv and 'rational' go hand in hand? *Nati ponders and gives a winking smiley*.

OI!! I have rational moments sometimes.

Madonna hasn't been binned by Radio 1, it's coming back for discussion in this week's playlist.

Genius!!! Yahoo!! :D:D:D:D:

Viv, I can assure you when my show goes live in September, there'll be every Madonna track going on our playlist. We have a masssssive Madge fan on the team!

Oh, you're having a show?? Where can I hear this???

I have to be so careful what I write here for fear it will look like it's a statement from the playlist - and none of this is, these are all my opinions, but a lot of what is being written here is just wrong and it's hard to watch it all said without defending it.

All I'll say is that the premise of the article is wrong. Madonna hasn't been binned by Radio 1, it's coming back for discussion in this week's playlist.

And Cool Sue, new music and new artists are two different things. No-one is against playlisting anything that resonates with our audience (and by that I mean ALL of it, not just the older audience). Beyonce and Sugababes definitely do that well.

As for something being high on radio airplay isn't enough of a reason because a lot of commercial radio in the UK aims at an older audience than Radio 1 does e.g. Capital, Heart networks and Radio 2, so if they all played it (for their older audience) it will ride high on the airplay chart.

I guess I have been a little harsh and I'm sorry if it's come across that way. But like Viv I am a massive Madonna fan so upon finding this out I guess I reacted more out of shock than reasoning.

I'm not going to say Celebration is her best track because it isn't, but its one of her best for a while, I actually think Revolver is better and that is tipped as getting a release too. But as Madonna is the last true iconic pop star we have left we should be celebrating her. I guess that is my main gripe. I hope she does make it onto the play list. Even if its just the C list. I mean it is very likely this will be her 14th UK number one so I think that should stand for something.

I mean how can people not love this woman?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRU6iufLmpA

But like Viv I am a massive Madonna fan so upon finding this out I guess I reacted more out of shock than reasoning.

It is a tremendous shock though!!!! That's the thing. She represents so much that is way beyond the music. The day she dies I shall be heart-broken, I think.

I'm not going to say Celebration is her best track because it isn't, but its one of her best for a while

I must agree with this!! And it's very clever: she's releasing a greatest hits, and this song sounds like something right from the very start. Hmmm.... mind you, a lot of the younger listeners may not "get" that, because they will have heard far more recent stuff.

I guess I have been a little harsh and I'm sorry if it's come across that way. But like Viv I am a massive Madonna fan so upon finding this out I guess I reacted more out of shock than reasoning.

It is a tremendous shock though, because you get so used to her simply making the R1 playlist, then one day she doesn't any more ... :-(

She always represents more than just the music though - there's a lovely attitude about her that questions everything, and breaks all the "age" rules, and I like that. She has said herself that why should she just die because she's over a certain age.