Unofficial Mills

Moyles breaches OFCOM code

Jono

A PinkNews.co.uk survey has found that 69 per cent of gay respondents think Radio 1 DJ Chris Moyles should be sacked over a "homophobic" imitation of gay singer Will Young.

The figures come after Chris Smith, the former head of Ofcom, criticised the BBC for allowing Moyles to continue making anti-gay comments.

Sixty-seven per cent said that an unwillingness to discipline other stars such as Jeremy Clarkson over similar comments showed that the BBC was institutionally homophobic.

When asked whether the BBC would take a stronger line if such jokes were about black, Asian or disabled people, 91 per cent thought it would.

Only one per cent thought it would treat anti-gay jokes more seriously and four per cent said it would treat them the same.

Speaking exclusively to PinkNews.co.uk last night, Mr Smith said the BBC needed to take "a more severe line" against the presenter.

Responding to a question on why homophobia is seen as less serious as racism, he said: ""I suspect the reason why there is a difference in the way racism and homophobia are treated is that we haven't yet changed attitudes as far as we need to in order to get people to realise just how unnacceptable homophobia is.”

An Ofcom judgement released earlier this week found the BBC in breach of the Broadcasting Code following complaints from eight listeners.

The complaints regarded a Chris Moyles Breakfast programme broadcast on the 20th January 2009 where the DJ discussed the birthday of the Pop Idol winner Will Young.

During the broadcast, Moyles imitated the singer by singing alternative versions to his well known singles 'Evergreen' and 'Leave Right Now.

During both songs, the media regulator found that Moyles "adopted an effeminate and high pitched voice."

Ofcom said that although the comments were not intended to cause offence, that Moyle's language could reasonably have been perceived by listeners as "hostile and pejorative" and had the potential to cause offence.

Moyles was criticised in 2006 for describing a mobile phone ringtone he disliked as "gay".

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-11751.html

Just so you know, I disagree with that 69% of people.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

well they would say that wouldn't they :rolleyes:

if we had a poll on here their would only be 1% of people saying that Moyles should be sacked over his comments.

i bet that 69% all laugh when Graham Norton or Alan Carr or other gay person on tv or radio make a joke or suggestive remark at a straight persons expense.

the main issue is that, by complaining about a tiny comedic comment the gay community are actually re-enforcing the views of the anti-gay community & the views of the wider community because when they see that there have been complaints etc they just say "well the gay community cannot take a joke can they ?".

i think it's strange that the majority of gay people say they "are proud to be gay" yet they cannot see the funny side when a comment in jest is made about a gay person, i wonder how many of that 69% have laughed at jokes about, ethnic community's (race), mental, physical illnesses, cancer or other 'taboo' subjects.

:)

I heard the songs, and while they were a little OTT the people that complained really need shot.

Although I'm completely straight I've got gay/bisexual friends and past/present family members who are gay/bisexual, and thus have no time for homophobia. However I think that sometimes people need to be less sensitive in this overly-politically-correct society we live in these days and let just learn to let some things go. Yes Moyles can be a bit of a loudmouth and occassionally put his foot in it, but thats 1 of the reasons I, and probably many others, listen to him.

And as the article on the sun's website is concerned, would we expect any less from the red tops? the only descent thing to have ever come out of those is Lucy pinder :hahaha:

Not impressed with censorship

Stonewall and similar organisations scare me to be honest. It's like they want to be noticed - which they deserve to be. Sadly they choose to do it about anything they can get a story out of and it just makes some of their comments a bit pathetic. It would be like if my university just opposed everything university related just to get into the newspapers.

Stonewall and similar organisations scare me to be honest. It's like they want to be noticed - which they deserve to be. Sadly they choose to do it about anything they can get a story out of and it just makes some of their comments a bit pathetic. It would be like if my university just opposed everything university related just to get into the newspapers.

Stonewall are pretty good in my opinion (Surprised?) but they do make a fuss over nothing a lot of the time. Sadly, attention like this hurts them a lot more than helps, as it makes them look very... stoopid.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Stonewall are pretty good in my opinion (Surprised?) but they do make a fuss over nothing a lot of the time. Sadly, attention like this hurts them a lot more than helps, as it makes them look very... stoopid.

I dare say they are good. It just seems that they've realised the only way for them to get publicity is by making petty comments and it just makes them come across as sensitive attention seekers.

Chris posted a photo on his twitter. In the comments he said that it was an after show meeting informing him he is on his last warning. Its anyones guess how truthful that was

http://twitpic.com/2hpwq

"Aled was telling us all about the Ofcome ruling that we are now on last warning.One more foot wrong and Im out basically.Then its local radio here we come!"

Haha, I very much doubt Aled would be dishing out the warnings, so I think it was very much said in jest.