Unofficial Mills

What's Swindon like?

Jono

The face of Swindon is changing rapidly, the best thing about this town is its ability to re-invent itself so quickly, where most towns stay the same for long periods, this town has changed dramatically over the last 5-10 years.

It carries a bad reputation, but if you live, and work in swindon most people will agree we are making a huge effort to change it.

The culture in Swindon is exploding, with new ventures happening all over the town, even in the recession. There are so many great bands coming through, and many live gigs going on all over the town. There are local festivals every year, Invicible, Sugarhill, and the shuffle, and the mela.

There are people who are working really hard to expand this, with better places to rehearse, play and more diversity.

Not everyone in Swindon works for honda/in an office, and there is much more than just concrete, dont judge us by "appearances". We are a really friendly town!

• 2 weeks later...

I have lived in Swindon all my life, the town centre is rather limited. Swindon seems to have always been the butt of jokes to many people. Yes some parts are rubbish, famous for chavs and that.

As far as music goes like mentioned before oasis centre has some good acts, obviously the famous band got its name from Swindon which is a good connection!. But also it is sometimes known as the home of 'UK hardcore' admittedly this music is not to everyones taste but shows the towns pedagree.

The surrounding areas are quite nice. The park is not in the centre, its in a good part of Swindon. I am a little worried what the traffic is going to be like because the roads near the venue are quite small, but i surpose other venues have the same problems.

I hope the weather is kind and it could become the best radio 1 weekend yet.

p.s. i was shell shocked anything like this was coming to Swindon as if you ask most people they have no idea where it is!!! fair play to radio 1 for seeing how good the venue could be