Unofficial Mills

The Secret Millionaire

Jono

Channel 4 won the 9-10pm slot last night as 'The Secret Millionaire' jumped to 4.2m viewers -- double ITV1's ratings for 'Trinny and Susannah' -- according to unofficial overnight figures.

Benefiting from the end of archeological thriller 'Bonekickers' on BBC One, 'The Secret Millionaire' jumped from last week's 3.7m to 4.2m.

This was an 18.7% share of the 9-10pm audience for the programme, which this week showed property mogul Nick Leslau spending time in Glasgow's Possilpark district as a volunteer carer for disabled people.

Including the ratings from Channel 4+1, the programme was watched by 4.5m viewers, giving it a 20.1% share.

http://www.brandrepublic.com/News/840446/Secret-Millionaire-coins-42m-Channel-4/

I love this programme and I'm glad it's getting the recognition it deserved. I actually get really emotional when they turn around and reveal who they are. Please say I'm not alone!

You aren't alone. We watched it last night for the first time. It's a good watch, and the reactions of the people when they received the much needed funds brought a tear to my eye too.

However, on the other hand, I can't help but feel disillusioned by the fact that there's a necessity for a programme like this to be made. How can the British Government allow people to sink to such depths, and fail to provide sufficient funds for the elderly and the disabled?

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I really love this programme too, although I always end up a bit teary eyed. Last night's episode was a good'un. Agree on the point Nati made, especially seeing all the volunteer run schemes, that are getting no government funding, which a lot of people in run down areas really depend on.

• 2 weeks later...

I thoroughly resent this programme. It depicts capitalist scum as philanthropists, continuing the commonly-held myth that capitalists are the true benefactors of society, men and women who can 'save' the undignified poor from their destitution. It is this complete distortion of the truth which germinates in the mindsets of the working-classes that capitalism is the only economic ideology worth implementing for it offers them more opportunity than any other economic system could. It is a tapestry of false illusion. They are egregious bourgeois dedicated to the conservation of an unequal, devastating and uncompromising economic system that ruins lives.

I thoroughly resent this programme. It depicts capitalist scum as philanthropists, continuing the commonly-held myth that capitalists are the true benefactors of society, men and women who can 'save' the undignified poor from their destitution. It is this complete distortion of the truth which germinates in the mindsets of the working-classes that capitalism is the only economic ideology worth implementing for it offers them more opportunity than any other economic system could. It is a tapestry of false illusion. They are egregious bourgeois dedicated to the conservation of an unequal, devastating and uncompromising economic system that ruins lives.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

I win!