Unofficial Mills

What's the point?

KingTutsWWH

I know loads of you are taking exams at the moment, so thought I'd ask 'Do you ever feel that what you are studying, or what it's compulsory for you to study is a bit of a waste of time and energy?'

Given my grand old age, I can safely say, thus far in life, I've had b*gger all use for algebra (hated) or trigonometry (rather liked). Mental arithmetic is the only skill I've needed so far. Fortunately I'm not too bad at it.

The following is a rather interesting article I read this morning. If you're taking exams, it's worth a look. If only for the purpose of procrastination;):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jun/06/maths.alevels

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I'd love to be able to finish reading that, but I have a maths exam this morning!

Mechanics is that maths subject that tries to relate to the real world. Probably why I find it the hardest.

I absolutely love algebra, trigonometry, polar co-ordinates, complex numbers, differential equations. All the proper pure stuff. But granted, I cannot see where I will be using it in the future (Though I now now what velocity and angle I should swim across a fast flowing river in order to end up on the directly opposite side ;), granted I know of any resistance forces and the velocity of the water).

I went to a medical conference and the number of doctors who struggled through medical school because they didn't take maths was quite a lot though. So thank God I'm taking it.

Guest CancerForTheCure

I don't really have time to read the article now but I promise I'll read it later. I don't think Maths as such is very useful but it tests and develops some very useful skills as it exercises a specific part in your brain which then links to other activities in your everyday life. I'm not really sure which part or what else you may use it for as I have never read enough into biological psychology, but I suppose the simplest example would be logic - logical thinking is very difficult to perform unless you are decent at Maths. I think lateral thinking may be another example. I might even go as far as stating that Maths may be the most important subject at school.

I can safely say it's quite pointless taking an English degree...

Hahahahahahaha. So can I Bumbly. It'll never make me rich, unless I suddenly turn into JK Rowling II overnight, but I enjoyed (almost) every minute of my studies.:)

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I second that, completely pointless it might be but it was thoroughly enjoyable and I was actually interested in it unlike some people who are taking other degrees and don't seem to be interested in what they're learning about

There/ They're/ Their. Different words.

I have an A2 level in Latin, so I know all about seemingly pointless studying. Latin is good at developing the brain though and spelling and grammar (any errors at the moment are due to this laptop that I am unfamiliar with). I really enjoyed the poetry we studied as well. I didn't want to study classics as a degree although I do know some people studying it who enjoy it.

Maths seems to come into many more degrees than I expected. My housemates (or should I say, ex-housemates) who study science/engineering type things complain about the amount of maths they have to do. In my degree, although the computer does the maths, I suppose it is part of understanding it to know how it works. Physical Geography has some engineering in it and involves some terrifying formulae, most of which I ignore.

I never understood algebra at school but I have never really needed it.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I think it's more to do with proof that you've been educated to a certain level. But your right, I've never really used owt I learned at school in an employment way. Everything I use for my jobs over the past few years I've taught myself.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

Guest CancerForTheCure
I have an A2 level in Latin, so I know all about seemingly pointless studying.

:shock: I'm so jealous, Latin looks so cool...

I agree with Nati, stuff like algebra is pointless (well, to me anyway). Also, things in Maths like Pythagoras (I think it is..) seriously, when will you ever need that? I remember someone once asked a teacher why and how we'd need it in reality, and she said: "Well when you go to wash the windows or paint your house, you need to work out what angle is needed to put the ladder against the wall." I merely thought you just put the ladder against the wall?

I think, however, lessons like modern foreign languages are important, but, then again, maybe I'm biased, being as that is what most of my qualifications are in!

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

I agree with Nati, stuff like algebra is pointless (well, to me anyway). Also, things in Maths like Pythagoras (I think it is..) seriously, when will you ever need that? I remember someone once asked a teacher why and how we'd need it in reality, and she said: "Well when you go to wash the windows or paint your house, you need to work out what angle is needed to put the ladder against the wall." I merely thought you just put the ladder against the wall?

I think, however, lessons like modern foreign languages are important, but, then again, maybe I'm biased, being as that is what most of my qualifications are in!

You're not being biased. I took Maths, Further Maths, Ad Maths and I see it as completely pointless. I actually just enjoy it. I use my GCSE French all the time and my Arabic. Languages are really rather important. Maths... well you can actually blame us Arabs for it. We invented it. Sorry! But I have a natural knack for it, so I might as well take it if I can get an A.

You're not being biased. I took Maths, Further Maths, Ad Maths and I see it as completely pointless. I actually just enjoy it. I use my GCSE French all the time and my Arabic. Languages are really rather important. Maths... well you can actually blame us Arabs for it. We invented it. Sorry! But I have a natural knack for it, so I might as well take it if I can get an A.

Ahh I won't blame you guys for Maths, I'll thank you for challenging my mind in a way that it has never been challenged before :P

Alouette...deployer les ailes;

Alouette...plumerai les ailes.

One of my recent exams had 6 questions and you had to answer 2 of them. 5 of them were essay questions and one was a calculation you could do. I really didn't understand it but the people who did understand it could do it in about 10 minutes whereas writing the essays took a lot longer and more knowledge and thought. The calculation was pointless anyway because the computer program does it in less than a second these days.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'