Unofficial Mills

Five years of Moyles on Breakfast

Jono

Chris is now in his fifth year on the breakfast show - a great achievement.

I was just thinking about it after turning off my radio this morning. It is odd to believe he started in 2004 and I was in Year 10 at high school. I enjoyed Chris in the afternoons on Radio 1, but wasn't a regular listener then. I'd never listened to breakfast radio much bar the stations the bus driver used to put on. It was GMTV to all the way as RI:SE hadn't been a ratings hit and The Big Breakfast was long gone. So I thought I'd give Chris a go on breakfast - the fresh sounding jingles, buzz off, the right mix of music and chat, and a good team.

I don't think I realised how much it would shape the next five years of my life. It properly introduced me to Scott's work, and brought a new love of Radio 1 that I hadn't had before.

The show has so far seen me through cold mornings waiting for the school bus, GCSEs, sixth form, sick days and kick off summer holiday mornings. I'm still engrossed in the show and waking up to it on sick days. You could argue back then I had a lot going for me (now I'm only a part time worker and a self-confessed geek!) but still.

Thank goodness for Chris on breakfast.

moyles started on breakfast in 2004 not 2003.

anyway moyles and mark & lard had a lot to do with my school life, the best parts of it. writing with my headphone in one ear leaning on the desk. moyles mostly used to come on when i was coming out at 3pm. i wasn't at school that much for the breakfast show though, i was close to leaving by then. mnl had gone and i was doing my gcse's, so that meant loads of jo whiley being as my exams were first thing of the morning or afternoon for some reason. sitting out in the back yard waiting for those bloody exams or having just come back from one. everyone was nervous, i just enjoyed the time off. i remember the coach driver having him on when we were going to london in my ill fated time stopping on with the 6th form thingy. and i remember the exact show, i think jules was leaving on that very day and chris was trying to make her cry.

he's done well on breakfast, but i dont get to hear him as much now. what i wouldn't give for it to be 6 or 7 years ago with him back on afternoons.

on the grid.

There's been four years of Moyles on breakfast so far Jono. The fifth year has only just begun ;)

Yeah I'm aware of that. But unless he pops his clogs I don't think they'll be making any changes before September.

The fact that Moyles is doing breakfast is a lot more convenient for me as I listen to the radio most in the mornings - usually the only chance I got to listen to his afternoon show was in the car for about 10 minutes on my way home from school. As much as I do love his breakfast show I still think he was at his peak in the afternoon show years, there was just something about the features he did back then that seemed so much fresher, I do tend to think he's "playing it safe" with a lot of his features these days. But the quality of the show is still very good, there's definitely room for improvement but Moyles still manages to make me giggle on several occasions each morning. Hope he's not planning on retiring in the next few years at least.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

I was living in Nottingham, in my own house. Was Djing to loads of students every weekend and was still saying "Stop............Carry on" in the middle of records.

His opening show jingle, all 5 minutes of it was genius, made me laugh out loud. I used to be a reigious listener to the R1 Breakfast show: Mayo, Wright, Evans etc, but when the girls took over it lost it's appeall (along with listeners) so I was glad when Chris Moyles took over.

I never got to listen to Moyles much in the afternoon as I was at my day job a lot of the time although I had heard him on Saturdays and early mornings as I was just about getting ready for bed then.

The show has changed so much since then....and so have we.

Sometimes here, sometimes not.

Moyles' humour is slightly alternative but he's also so clever in being the famous guy who's just like you. Nipping out for a cigarette, playing X box, going to the pub, talking about his girlfriend as anyone would about their partner.

Rob DJ's Pub Quiz is my favourite feature at the moment, but there've been so many! I just wish I could wake up early enough to still hear the opening jingle.

I love Scott most of all of course, but I could listen to Moyles forever. Together with Jo and Greg he's one of the best Radio 1 presenters ever, in my opinion. :D

UM is a nice place

I used to listen to Rob DJ's Monday Night Pub Quiz and think 'who the hell would find this a good feature'. Then I realised before listening to Moyles on breakfast I'd regularly spend journeys on the bus playing along with some naff daily quiz on local radio. So probably answered my own question. It's much better with Rob actually on it now. Well, on tape...

For me, Chirs Moyles is the best DJ in Britain. I could listen to him all day. He is one of those people that I find everything he says, whether it be on his show, in his book or just TV appearance, whatever he's in I think he's brilliant. I'll never get bored of listning to his show and I hope he does a Wogan and continues for years/.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I used to listen to Rob DJ's Monday Night Pub Quiz and think 'who the hell would find this a good feature'. Then I realised before listening to Moyles on breakfast I'd regularly spend journeys on the bus playing along with some naff daily quiz on local radio. So probably answered my own question. It's much better with Rob actually on it now. Well, on tape...

I think the feature has been saved by having the recorded Rob :)

When I say pub, you say quiz...

I've always liked the Pub Quiz myself, a lot of people seem to think it's had its day but I think it's just as funny now as it was when it first appeared on the show. Admittedly it was a lot better when callers actually took part in it but that's more the BBC's fault for suspending phone-in competitions.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...