Unofficial Mills

Livechat with Scott Mills - 9th October 2007

Jono

<P><b>In October 2007 Scott Mills answered some questions in a livechat on the Unofficial Mills website. Here's a transcript of that chat. Scott promises to answer some more questions soon! Thanks to all those that took part, and sorry we couldn't get all of your questions answered.</b>

<b>Jono</B>: Hi all, thanks for joining tonight's livechat. I'm Jono, I'm the site creator, and I'll be making sure things run smoothly tonight. Right, now that Scott is here we're going to go into livechat mode. This means all questions will go to Scott for him to answer. Keep them clean people! He'll try to get through as many as possible.

<b>Grant</b>: Hi Scott, what is your favourite choon at the minute?

<b>Scott</b>: My favourite tune at the moment has to be the new Kylie song - it's amazin!

<b>theeveningsaviour</B>: Scott, if you were stuck in a lift with anyone, who would it be?

<b>Scott</b>: Hi Saviour! I would like to be stuck in a lift with Alan Carr. I've met him socially a few times lately at various events, and he is one of the funniest people I have EVER met. I'm scared of lifts, but his slightly wrong jokes would take your mind off it. He is a very nice man

<b>Jono</B>: Was radio always your first love? We know you've been involved in it all from a young age, but what would have done if you hadn't made it into radio, did you keep your options open? And if you weren't a DJ, what would you like to be doing?

<b>Scott</b>: I have NO idea. I didn't keep my options open at all - my parents were quite worried because I had nothing to fall back on. It's all I can remember wanting to do - since I was really young. Like STUPIDLY young. I followed Radio 1 from something like the age of 7. I was so determined to do it that I didn't think about "What if it doesn't happen?" - but I never thought I would one day get to where I am now.

<b>MattDGiles</B>: Hi there what is your favourite tv show scott?

<b>Scott</b>: I know it's obvious - but at the moment X Factor. I know what's going to happen - people cry/say it's all they've ever wanted/ kiss the judges - it's the same every time- but I LOVE it. It's so well produed and put together. I get swept up in it every year.

<b>Andy_B:</b> Hi Scott, do you have any animosity with the people of Portsmouth, coming from Southampton?

<b>Scott</b>: Hi Andy! Not at all, I have spent a lot of time in Portsmouth and have some good mates there. I don't really understand the Pompey/Southampton divide. It's probably to do with football isn't it? Which is why I don't understand!

<b>Sophie</b>: Hi Scott, is it actually you that has a facebook page or are you not into all of that?

<b>Scott</b>: I find facebook a bit intrusive to be honest Sophie. Scott is... doing a webchat. I feel my every move is being watched, and I don't get why you want to see someones pictures of them a)at uni B) in a bar with people you don't recognise c) on holiday. So no I'm not on it. Think someone has set up a fake one for me which is nothing to do with me.

<b>Jono</b>: It was on your fourth day at Radio 1 because Zoe Ball was off that you became a stand-in presenter on breakfast, and you became the full-time presenter of 'drivetime' when Sara Cox got pregnant for the first time. Would you say you got to where you are with a lot of luck as well as talent? Is the element of luck what all wannabe DJs need?

<b>Scott</b>: Absolutely yes. I would hope talent is involved somewhere along the line, but every radio person will tell you a bit of luck(or not) and being in the right/wrong place at the right time also plays a part. I did do earlies for 5 years before taking over Sara's show though! But I was very lucky to get my job at Radio 1, and have been very lucky at stations throughout my career.

<b>CK1</B>: During the course of your radio career, what is the best piece of advice you've ever been given?

<b>Scott</b>: Cliche - but always be nice to people you work with. There is no need to be a diva - because the industry is small, and the person you were nasty to may well end up being your boss. At which point, you're probably fired. I know people this has happened to in the past.

<b>Riz</b>: Hey Scott. Would you ever consider doing more reality tv shows?

<b>Scott</b>: Hi Riz! Honestly? No. I didn't enjoy it very much. But I was doing Scissorhands because it was for charity. I wouldn't have chosen to cut hair! I know they get paid well, but those shows are REALLY hard to do. I went to Hell's Kitchen and looked at them cooking, and thought - rather you than me! I'm not good under that kind of pressure. And some people are doing it because work is so thin on the ground for them, and they really need the money. Singers for example, who don't have a day to day job anymore. I went for an audition for Dancing on Ice and was so crap. Ask me again in a few years haha!!

<b>KingTutsWWH</b>: What are your worst habits?

<b>Scott</b>: Smoking. I really want to give up but I know I will find it so hard. I get quite stressed out sometimes. And I squeeze toothpaste from the middle.

<b>Timsk</B>: Have you ever thought of trying RED wine? It's said there can be more variety to the palate/taste etc etc...? Or is the Pinot more a means to an end?!

<b>Scott</b>: Yes,in fact red has been my drink of choice lately. I'm on a fitness regime, and it's better for you apparently. I quite like some red wine. It does stain your teeth though

<b>Stacey</b>: Do you think Chappers and Laura are lurking on here tonight?

<b>Scott</b>: I doubt it!! They're probably asleep. Or Chappers will be at home with his son, and Laura will be cleaning her house!!

<b>Kelly</b>: Is James May as lovely as he seems?

<b>Scott</b>: Absolutely 100 per cent. What a charming (and hilarious) man! I'd never met him until yesterday- but yes he is . You're obsessed woman! What will happen if the Hamster ever comes on?!

<b>Jaxxon</B>: Hi Scott, now that your name and face are known all over the place do you find it hard to make new friends without thinking 'Do they want to know me for me or because I'm famous'?

<b>Scott</b>: I'm lucky in that I have a good base of friends around me- in London where I live, and all over the country. People who I have worked with in other areas, or became mates with while living in those other areas. I do tend to be more guarded about meeting new people yes, but it doesn't stop me. I think by now I can tell the people who are genuine or not.

<b>Jono</b>: Talk us through your catchphrases. 'Alright Treacle' is a saying Pete Beale used to say in EastEnders, how did that come about on your show? And what about 'good mornin', wasn't that something that crap band Scooter used to randomly throw into their songs?

<b>Scott</b>: Alright treacle?! Although I know it did come from Enders, was something my friend Robbie sent me at the start of a text one day- and he said "YOu should use that on air". So I did a few times,and it sort of stuck. As for GOOOOD MORNIN - it seems to be a Radio 1 thing which is said when something is funny/rude/crap. Used on and off air by DJs such as Chris Moyles, Joel , me etc. And some off air staff too.

<b>foo_fighters_fan</B>: Hey Scott! Is Laura really getting the P Diddy PA job? If so who would be your ideal replacement?

<b>Scott</b>: I really don't know. We are waiting for them to call us back. But both P Diddys people and the Oprah Winfrey show want to talk to her - true! I don't know how we would replace Laura to be honest! She is truly unique.

<b>Jono</b>: You've always said you don't want the breakfast show. But does this mean if you were handed it to you that you'd turn it down? I imagine you'd have to change the format for your show a lot for mornings, is this part of the reason you wouldn't want it? Surely a bit of extra cash would make it worth the mornings?

<b>Scott</b>: I just got up early for a LONG time before I got my lovely afternoons! Of course I couldn't turn it down. It's the best show on radio. The reasons I would feel worried are the hours, and the pressure. If the breakfast show fails, the whole station really suffers.

<b>Neil</B>: Why does "the one who doesn't speak" choose not to speak? Scared, nervous or just personal choice?

<b>Scott</b>: Personal choice. He never has had,and never will have any desire to be on the radio. Which is why he is such a good producer

<b>Jono</B>: As you mentioned Celebrity Scissorhands returns next month, and it's rumoured Steve Strange will become the assistant manager. As a former 'contestant' will you be booking a hair or beauty appointment this year? And do you have any plans for Children In Need this year?

<b>Scott</b>: I've not been asked as yet to do anything for Children in Need. Er - no. I know too much now I think to ever risk my teeth, hair or tan

<b>Emma</B>: My Media tutor has told me to start small in terms of radio stations, in order to find work on there. Would you consider this statement as being true?

<b>Scott</b>: Yes totally. I started helping out at my local hospital radio when I was 12. You HAVE to start small . And be prepared for them to tell you to go away. If you give up at that point, you don't want it enough. It's not the industry for you.

<b>CK1</B>: How do you think commercial radio is sounding at the moment? What would you say it is lacking or how would you improve it?

<b>Scott</b>: I'd like to hear more personality. Although there is more creeping back in now in some places. You need to have something to stand out, because there are hundreds more stations than when I started out now, and everyone can tell the time, announce a record, do a timecheck. There are loads more DJ's. We just need more people being themselves. But I understand that some stations don't allow you that freedom.

<b>DC</B>: How long do you arrive at radio 1 before a show? And what do you do to prepare for 3 hours on the air?

<b>Scott</b>: I get to Radio 1 at 1.30. We go to the studio at 2 and prepare in there.. do calls, discuss the order of the show, go through what we will do. Me and the one that doesn't speak will email in the morning with ideas for that day. But some stuff is prepared a long way in advance. We have a meeting after the show every few weeks to discuss new ideas and see how we can develop them. Emlyn (OTDS) and Laura get to work in the morning to set out the plan for the show. It's a team effort!

<b>simon37</B>: What's all this about you in bed with Chappers and Jo Whiley on camera? When can we find out more about that? Anything you can reveal about what's coming up on the show soon?

<b>Scott</b>: We WILL reveal what that is when I come back off holiday - a week Monday. You will like it a lot.

<b>Danishgirl</b>: Are you a geek yourself? I mean, have you ever signed up to a fansite or a fan club like Unofficial Mills (about some of your favorite celebrities of course)?

<b>Scott</b>: Hi Danishgirl! No I've never really joined a fan club or site - but it's lovely that you do on here! We read comments/criticism on here everyday at Radio 1. It's nice to have feedback, and people on this site are generally really cool people.

<b>Jane:</b> You're on a fitness regime at the moment. How's that going? Do you have to watch what you eat, or it is just gruelling running sessions?

<b>Scott</b>: Both. I have a trainer called Mark who makes me run up hills/lift weights. But it’s working slowly. I;ve lost a bit of weight and feel better generally. It's easy to slip up on the food sometimes. Basically it's just a healthy diet. No bad stuff.

<b>dropdead</B>: Do you like the way the whole MAAATTTT DAMON thing has spiraled out of control from its origins as you just saying his name (like in Team America) cos he was in Radio 1 one day? or are you secretly sick of it? X

<b>Scott</b>: At the moment I love it! When we - or the audience get sick of it- we'll drop it I guess!

<b>Jono</b>: When you first started at Radio 1 you were an early breakfast DJ. From some of the clips we've heard of you things weren't always plain sailing for you, and sometimes you turned up worse for wear. Were they really dark days for you, and even though you were at Radio 1 did you feel like jacking it all in back then?

<b>Scott</b>: I never felt like jacking it in, I was just concerned that my career was in a bit of a rut. I had done earlies for too long, and had tried to have a social life too. I was just tired of the alarm going off at 2.30am! Towards the end of my stint, I rarely went out! I would get up - it would be dark - go home - dark - get up in the early evening - dark - go to bed - dark - up at 2.30 - dark.. etc. I didn't want to leave my flat. I went a bit strange for a while.

<b>Debbie</b>: Hi Scott. I wanted to know if you have nightmares and do you get nervous when meeting guests on your show?

<b>Scott</b>: I have nightmares about things going wrong on air quite a lot, anxiety about the show (especially when on breakfast) and yes, whoever the guest is - I always get a little apprehensive.

<b>CK1</B>: What on-air moment are you most proud of?

<b>Scott</b>: Robbie gigs at Knebworth, and Radio 1 Big Weekend in Derry - both stick in my mind as being great on air moments, and how proud I felt at those times to work for Radio 1.

<b>Riz</B> : Scott, do youthink the radio 1 attempting to appeal to pre-teenagers more these days is a good move? Or do you think maybe it will fill the station of teeny boppers?

<b>Scott</b>: Radio 1's audience - like all of us - will eventually grow up and get older. So yes, I do believe we have to encourage new, young listeners all the time. Which is what Sunday nights are all about from this week on Radio 1. If we end up with only 50 year olds listening, then what's the point of Radio 1? We are the national station for young people in the UK.

<b>DC</B> If i am right Chris Moyles is going to be starting half an hour earlier than he does now pretty soon. When you cover for him will you be starting at that time as well or will it still be 7?

<b>Scott</b>: Yes when Chris is off It'll be a 6.30 start for me. It used to be that when I filled in for Zoe though.

<b>Timsk</B>: Did you/the team ever expect Flirt Divert to take off in the way it did and still has...? Has anyone ever tried to give YOU the number?!

<b>Scott</b>: It's so strange when I do uni gigs and SO many people have the number in their phones! I never expected it to blow up this big - not at all. I don't think anyone has tried to give it to me, but i'm proud to announce I did give it to some crazy drunk girl at a gig at Hull Uni few weeks ago. My first time of using the number!

<b>Emma</B>: My Gran is a big fan of yours, she tunes in every day without fail. She would like to know when (if) you bring back "Your Call", could you answer her because she always tries!

<b>Scott</b>: Hi Emma, Sorry to say please tell your gran "Your Call" we felt had run it's course and won't be back in the forseeable future. But there is a new request show with Fearne and Reggie on saturdays now!

<b>Neil</B>: Scott, do you like turtles?

<b>Scott</b>: I don't actually. Find them a bit scary.

<b>superscott</B>: My local radio station doesn't accept any help until the age of 18, what should I do to get 'in' to the industry? Should I try local radio and offer my help in the offices or what?

<b>Scott</b>: Yes yes yes. Do whatever you can to get a foot in the door. Don't take no for an answer! Someone will let you in if you are persistent!

<b>HuttonUK</B>: Scott, which guest on your show have you most enjoyed interviewing?

<b>Scott</b>: I really enjoyed Billie Piper when she came in. It was like being with a good mate down the pub - so easy to chat to. Yvette and the dwarf last week though was hugely enjoyable. She lost it - and so did I !

<b>KingTutsWWH</b>: Who do you most envy?

<b>Scott</b>: I don't like envy. It's up there with jealousy as a horrible emotion!

<b>sinister</B>: scott, is someone typing your replies for you, as in your not using the keyboard?

<b>Scott</b>: No - the typing is all my own work!

<b>popbitcher</b>: Are you doing anything nice on your holiday?

<b>Scott</b>: I'm just going away with my brother to the Middle East. Not Iraq. Just to chill and get some sun. But don't try and burgle my house- my flatmate is still here! :)

<b>TK_Nixx</B>: Heard Moyles say he tends to go to bed quite late when he's on mornings - what about you, Scott? Are you a good boy or is it still late nights for you with your 5am starts?

<b>Scott</b>: I find sometimes you can get away with going to bed quite late and feel fine the next day. Other days, like I do today, you feel a bit of a zombie. It's hard to call because you never know til you wake up! I have generally been a very good boy on this run of 5am starts

<b>Riz</B>: Is the relationship between you and Chris Moyles really a love/hate thing, or is that just for show on air?

<b>Scott</b>: We do actually like each other very much.

<b>popbitcher</b>: What's a common misconception people have about you?

<b>Scott</b>: That I am quite complex. But i'm not.

<b>Bog_man</B>: Hi again Scott. Could you tell me what size Laura's breasts are? And could i have a pic please??

<b>Scott</b>: They're G something. I don't keep pics of her breasts on my PC sadly

<b>charris</B>: Scott have you thought of adapting your childrens entertaining set for a older audience?

<b>Scott</b>: Yes. I think we should do an adult version. At Butlins or somewhere.

<b>will20:</b> Radio 1's undergoing some schedule changes in the next week or so. Greg James taking over the early breakfast show permanently, Nihal taking weekend breakfast, Dick and Dom joining and Moyles gaining half an hour. Are you excited about all these changes?

<b>Scott</b>: Yes. I do think change is mostly a good thing , and I think the line up is very strong. A station like Radio 1 needs to evolve every now and again.

<b>Jono</B>: So you're on a livechat, talking about yourself, on a busy website that talks about you all the time. Little weird isn't it? You've had a few websites about you in the past, but did you ever expect one to take off like it has? Does it freak you out? And there's often hints you're sometimes lurking, do you find the forum adds to the interactivity of your show?

<b>Scott</b>: Yes along with the text system the forum really adds to it - I'm ALWAYS lurking!! You better believe it! This website doesn't freak me out at all no. And I NEVER expected to get a website as good and as popular as this. Honestly

<b>Jono</B>: Well that just about wraps things up tonight... Just time to ask the Lord Scott Mills to give us his final blessing of the night…

<b>Scott</B>: THANKS EVERYONE! I hope I answered your question. If not, Jono will post the rest up on the site, and I WILL get round to it soon. Thanks for being so amezzin and not being horrible for the last hour and a half! LOVE YOU!!! BYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.. scott xxx

<b>Jono</B>: Thanks for joining tonight's livechat. It's been a big experiment, and appears to have been a success - didn't even think technophobic Scott would get here! A big thanks to Scott for taking part, and to all of you for joining in the chat this evening. A full transcript will be online tomorrow at unofficialmills.co.uk - and don't forget to get involved with our message board if you're not already part of it! We're now going to return to the normal chit chat mode if you want to stay on for a little longer...

<b>Jono</B>: This has been a livechat from Unofficial Mills. Log on daily for downloads, reviews, news, chat and more.</p>