Unofficial Mills

Newsbeat

whoknowswhy

I am a regular listener to Radio 1 during the week and weekends and am surprised they are continuing to share Newsbeat between Radio 1 and 1Xtra. Vernon just totally cut a song short to be in time for the 10:30am news this morning. Sounds very unprofessional and somewhat annoying also. Don't seem to get this problem quite as much though during the week. Could this be the DJ at fault?

I am a regular listener to Radio 1 during the week and weekends and am surprised they are continuing to share Newsbeat between Radio 1 and 1Xtra. Vernon just totally cut a song short to be in time for the 10:30am news this morning. Sounds very unprofessional and somewhat annoying also. Don't seem to get this problem quite as much though during the week. Could this be the DJ at fault?

I would imagine getting the timings to match up on 2 different shows is tricky. It's all part of the newsbeat cuts. They have cut the news from dev's show as well

james_ryder.png

I just don't agree with them just cutting a song mid way through - a BBC National Radio Station. A local one maybe you would expect it but Radio 1, you would think they could find a way to make it work better to sound better!

Personally my response would be that if the DJ can't get his timings right to get to the news on time, then he's to blame, not the scheduled news programming?

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

Hmm I guess cutbacks are cutbacks and I can see the need/desire to combine 1/1x newsbeats. Seems so wasteful doing them differentely! I agree with Nik, its not Newbeats fault. If they are given a time of 10:30 for example, its the producers/presenters role to ensure they are both ready for news at 10:30. Obviously took their eye off the ball yesterday!

Yes this was bought in a few months. There is a post on my blog outlining the changes. It was made due to BBC budget cuts. Weekends simuilcasted the news and now so do daytime. Therefore, all shows have a running order and it is down to the presenter and producer to stick that running order. The one positive is that the newsreaders don't have to hang around anymore!

Greg James is off to Africa for Comic Relief. Read it here, r1newspost.wordpress.com.

Because they can't just have silence til the news if they run out of things to say..

Even "And now itis time for Newsbeat with Nomia Iqbal, at 1:30, on bbc radio 1" would have filled the time better, or saying what's coming up on the show...

At school we did a cheesy radio show for charity, and even we worked out time management, had scripts being written to fill just the right amount of time and cutting songs out / changing them to fit... we lengthened a cheesy interview by a question to give us exactly the right amount of time to play Rick Astley before the end of lunch so the bell didn't cut over it... not difficult.

I would love to see Moyles being forced to stop a song to go to the news...

etheridge_tom.png

Is it something to do with ticking songs that need to be played off a list? Especially today...when they needed to make up time following the Peter Andre interview which was a bit later than expected.

Either way, I'm also not happy with this. Agree that it sounds very unprofessional, and today was just ridiculous when Stingin' Belle was cut short for Gangnam Style...which in turn didn't even make it to the end befoe 3:30..

It does seem like the playlist song count is on the increase. Less talking, more shorter "bits" across the board outside of interviews. I can remember Scott talking on-air about pushing songs to the next half hour if they couldn't fit them in. Doesn't seem like they're allowed to do that anymore.