Unofficial Mills

The Next DJ

Viv

Guest staghead

Whats being a mum got to do with anything though? I like her, she's a good mid morning presenter, she's got the right personality for that show.

And it wouldn't be the same with somebody in control of ze live lounge!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats being a mum got to do with anything though? I like her, she's a good mid morning presenter, she's got the right personality for that show.

And it wouldn't be the same with somebody in control of ze live lounge!

I suppose not,ive never been a fan of Jo tbh although the live lounges are always classic.

twitter.com/emgreatorex

I think they're both great presenters, especially Jo Whiley who i listen to on a regular basis in college.

Yeah,i listenend to her while i was Ill.And it changed my opinion alot about her.

I really didnt seem to like her,but i seem to like her now.Espesh the Live Lounge..she was going over her fav ones and yesterday it was mcfly <3

twitter.com/emgreatorex

Guest staghead

Bit late on that one weren't ya :D

I suppose Zane could be seen as overwhelming, but I like his enthusiam. He really enjoys the music he plays and that comes across well. A lot of presenters nowdays sound so false.

I don't think Zane could ever be a daytime presenter, but he's very good at what he does. His DJing at clubs is mega too :)

Yep.... late again... days later. That's the worst thing 'bout not having your own computer, or always managing to log on. Listened to Zane other night, and still feel a bit scared by him. Hopefully he will grow on me. Wonder if all New Zealand DJ's are like that... so intense. Going slightly off topic, but there's a guy who delivers water to my workplace... he is from New Zealand, and is intense too. Hmmmm.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Guest staghead

You can't see Zane's face when he's presenting though. Unless you look at webcam, and they're too rubbish to make much out.

Tough mode?! Do you mean to conincide with my Oasis avatar :D

From MediaUK:

Rory McConnell for Radio 1

BBC Radio 1 announced today that Rory McConnell will be the new host of its Northern Ireland show on Thursday nights. Rory joined Radio 1 in 2004 as broadcast assistant on Donna Legge's show, which is one of the station's weekly new music shows from the UK's four nations. Rory will succeed Donna Legge. who joined Radio 1 as presenter of The Session In Northern Ireland in 1999.

>> I'm on here every now and again... <<

http://www.offthechartradio.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
I think Staghead wd apply for position. Correct, Staghead??

On another note, Staghead, can I ask what you did to get into radio. Did you do university or college or was it work experience? I'm just interested in doing some sort of media job.

Hi Jono

At the moment im 16 and I recently got into radio( I went straight from school) I did hospital radio for a few years but i just kept sending letters and letters all the time. So many people would discourage me, (teachers used to say get a proper job etc.) but I met Scott back in the summer, and he was amazing. He gave me so much good advice and not long after all the advice he gave me, I got a call from my local station. He even e-mailed me recently to say hes glad im doing well.

You just have to keep on and keep on, just dont give up. Although im at the bottom at the moment I just have to work my way up now. I'd also be really interested in how Staghead got into radio.

Guest staghead

Well I originally got the taste for it after helping my friend do a show on the Sheffield community station Sheffield Live!, after helping him out for a few weeks, I managed to blag my own show which went OK.

I then went on to help out another friend at Chrystal Radio, the hospital radio station for the Sheffield Children's Hospital. After doing that for a few weeks, I was very lucky to go to Skill City, a big careers event held in the Manchester G-Mex.

There I got speaking to somebody from Key 103 who had a stall there. After telling him of what I'd been upto so far, he was impressed by my enthusiasm and got me sorted with some work experience.

In the meantime, I had to stop doing Chrytsal due to the fact I couldn't affrod to get the train down to Sheffield every week. By this time I had started college, and I was fortunate enough to find somebody else who was interested in radio. Me and him decided to set up an internal college station, which we got up and running. I also participated in the Mediafly masterclass course (a course run by Galaxy)

After a few months of doing work Key, they let me go to make room for other work experience people.

I decided I'd record a demo, as I felt like I was at the right stage now, so I went to a friends studio, and after a month or so at toiling on a demo, I put one together which I flooded to as many relavant stations as possible.

I eventually got a weekend gig, at stayed at X station for a few months before recording another demo and moving to a bigger commerical station as a freelancer.

Thats pretty much where I'm up to now. I'm just doing cover work at this commerical station. I'm going to be doing the Mediafly academy course in the next few weeks and I can hopefully get a gig with Galaxy through that. At the moment I'm just trying to improve and learn my trade, and I'm very lucky to have a good PD behind me who is really doing a fantastic job of teaching me.

I would advice people to be persistant, never lose focus. There are many times where you think you don't have what it takes. Or you won't make it. Just remember, you need to have the right attitude, because taht will take you a long way. And you need to remember that, just like anything else, it's about aquiring the right experience and skills.

The best way to get into radio is by work experience. There a lot of people gain a true understanding of what the industry is like. The majority of people actually prefer to do something else, rather than present.

Hope that helps anyway :)