Unofficial Mills

Day 1 at Radio 1's Big Weekend in Swindon

Jono

bigweekend_front.jpg

What an amazing day! I'm just back from Lydiard Park after catching the free bus to Saturday's event. There is SO much I could talk about here - it's been a jam packed day. We spent the day, unintentionally, following Bobby Friction and Nihal's Children's BBC television crew. They are working on a show that will air in July - it's basically Popstars (remember that?) for children. The prize was to perform at the Big Weekend. We spoke to one of the lucky winners who was dead excited about performing there so we went along to check it out.

Artists that rocked the Big Weekend ranged from Jack Penate to Dizzee Rascal to Calvin Harris and The Saturdays. Chris Moyles was a highlight too and he went all out to please the crowds with his parodies. Even JLS hit the stage to sing Lamb Bhuna!

It wasn't all about the music stages though. The outdoor stage is attracting a huge following with the amount of quality DJs performing there - today Eric Prydz and Pete Tong with Vernon were some of the highlights. Surprisingly I found myself hanging out in The Surgery tent too where Aled got up close and personal with some of the stars.

Backstage there was also plenty of Radio 1 stars to spot. Whether it was Zane Lowe with his mini Zipper or the Chris Moyles show WAGs.

The rain stayed away, Swindon was well prepared for today's event and the atmosphere in Lydiard Park was immense. Roll on the second day of Radio 1's Big Weekend and keep following my Twitter for more Twit Pics and updates.