Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Power Cut

DarkAngelMJH

Well they're so far in the past they might as well have Will Kinder doing his 1950s voice telling listeners "do not adjust your sets" and that this is "Radio 1 from the BBC". I'm sure someone could argue that making no reference to the back-up tape in the voice overs is misleading listeners somewhere along the lines.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On remembrance day they had a 3 minutes silence when Sara was covering for Jo, but i suppose they had generated silence or disabled the emergency tape.

Do you think the white noise over every newsbeat in Sara's show was related?

Sam

I'm sure someone could argue that making no reference to the back-up tape in the voice overs is misleading listeners somewhere along the lines.

Well, that's hardly an issue. Partially as most of the texts seemed to twig something was wrong. Besides: music's playing, it's all premixed and got a playlist anyway, it just so happens that this premix is from 3 years ago. :P It's if there was someone talking that would confuse things more.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

Well they're so far in the past they might as well have Will Kinder doing his 1950s voice telling listeners "do not adjust your sets" and that this is "Radio 1 from the BBC". Surely back up tapes now mislead listeners into believing it's a live show?

should have some sort of wooooop woooooop siren noise then play radio gaga or video killed the radio star :hahaha:

:)

They do have a UPS... but apparently it was the UPS failing that caused the power cut!

Most good quality UPS systems tell you in some way the health of the battery. Shows ya show often they are checked...

Meh, I remember back 2 years? When they had bugs in the system. the computer was stopping the songs at real random times and the DJ didn't know.

Guest inxces4308
On remembrance day they had a 3 minutes silence when Sara was covering for Jo, but i suppose they had generated silence or disabled the emergency tape.

Do you think the white noise over every newsbeat in Sara's show was related?

What they do is they play a small white noise/crowd noise. Last year is was a tiny tiny noise that you can't really hear unless you really turn the radio up and Radio 1 will probably also disable to the emergency tape, just incase.

Commercial station take a feed from IRN which also just plays white noise/crowd noise.

Last year on the IRN feed during the middle of the silence some protesters kicked off and started swearing which was, erm, sadly, funny.

I wonder if there are some announcements explaining that programmes have been interrupted later in the tape, maybe after an hour of back to back music?
Not normally because they don't want to draw attention to it. What often will happen though is the music will be a little specalist or, as in radio 1's case, the idents will be slightly older. This then allows management and tech to notice that there is a problem, if nobody is in the building, etc.

According to the video above, 35 seconds. That's really long, the one on OTC is like, 8 seconds.

The standard time for FM stations is between 30 & 35 seconds. This allows for any small problems that may have happened. If the station is still on-air then the presenter will often just put the mic up or have time to find a CD to play, etc.
Just to correct what a number of people have said based on what Vernon said when he came back on air - they weren't in Broadcasting House but Western House, which is home to Radio 2 and 6 Music.

I forgot, they've moved back. Its only next door though so its not an awful mistake.

Most good quality UPS systems tell you in some way the health of the battery. Shows ya show often they are checked...

Wasn't the last power cut at TV Centre due to the UPS or its associated switchgear failing, and not a failure of the incoming mains.

That said, it sounds like the Yalding problem was a double failure - Vernon mentioned the lights went off and emergency lighting came on. I wouldn't imagine the lighting would have been on the UPS sustained technical supply.

Wasn't the last power cut at TV Centre due to the UPS or its associated switchgear failing, and not a failure of the incoming mains.

That said, it sounds like the Yalding problem was a double failure - Vernon mentioned the lights went off and emergency lighting came on. I wouldn't imagine the lighting would have been on the UPS sustained technical supply.

Not sure about the TV centre one.

The lights wont be on the UPS, your right there. That's why there is emergency lights. Must of had some bad luck then, never mind!

Its also makes me laugh thats its the old Radio 1 voices, the scottish bloke is back, you'd have thought somebody might have updated it! Its start with Razorlight....

You may have also noticed the voiceover referred to 'Listen Again' rather than the iPlayer, which of course was some way away from being properly launched for TV, let alone radio.

You may have also noticed the voiceover referred to 'Listen Again' rather than the iPlayer, which of course was some way away from being properly launched for TV, let alone radio.

What do the voiceovers say now? I thought they still do say "listen again to the best of Radio 1". Alright it's not "listen again" in the brand sense but I think the voiceovers still use that line.

Guest inxces4308
What do the voiceovers say now? I thought they still do say "listen again to the best of Radio 1". Alright it's not "listen again" in the brand sense but I think the voiceovers still use that line.

Yeah, they still say 'listen again, <i><insert jody="" lathams="" accent=""></insert><insert jody="" lathams="" accent=""> </insert></i>[insert Jody Lathams accent] whenever you like"