Moyles to climb Kilimanjaro!

Viv

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also why should anyone including his team fell obliged to donate to charity? I thought it was a free choice?

No-one says they have to donate to the climb, but it just looks a bit better, rather than landing it in the listeners' laps (so to speak). It's difficult to explain, but it's that thing, that if you want people to follow on, it's nice if you are a shining example. If you don't wish to donate, I'm sure no-one will cry (except maybe the kids starving somewhere). Or some kid dying of malaria. One child dies every 30 seconds of Malaria in Africa.

Anyway, The Sunday Mail had as their headline yesterday, "Ronan's Jet Relief" Basically, Ronan Keating almost missed the Comic Relief flight to Africa, because of his connection from Dublin arriving 90 minutes late. I heard Chris Moyles say this morning that he had never seen anyone sprint so fast!!!

Anyway Text CLIMB to 88808 - £1.00 goes directly to comic relief. Just £1.00 buys a young homeless person in the UK some food.

I will happily pay my taxes in full and work with kids in need, and try and support politicians who advocate change, but I dont see why I should have to donate to anything?

We all pay taxes. I pay taxes, but it's that thing about being able to give up something in one area to give to another. 10 less texts today for example = £1.00 to donate to Comic Relief. Would you leave someone you knew down the street from you to starve? I wouldn't.

And one final point I would boot in is the 6% of separation "thing" which means all of us in this World are connected. The World isn't fragmented.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/rednoseday/2009/

I love that picture Sam posted. Not only does Alesha Dixon look yummy, but it shows what a positive effect Comic Relief has.

Hear hear. You know one thing I always notice about the poorer countries, and it's this: despite all the poverty and disease, the people are so often bloody smiling. Compared with all the materialistically obsessed people who live in our celebrity-obsessed society, it's actually pretty f****** remarkable.

Total raised now = £512,555 Make. It. Higher.

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

Guest inxces4308

Does anyone know when the climb is going to end? Looking at the image (below) they should only have a few more days to get to the top, then a few more down.

Is chris back on breakfast next monday?

post-6494-145327871487_thumb.jpg

06:30–10:00

The Chris Moyles Show

09/03/2009

Chris is on his way back, so Vernon has all the latest on the big Red Nose Climb.

According to the schedule

They're not exactly over-the-hill, but the nine celebrities climbing Mount Kilimanjaro look exhausted already.

The struggle to keep up proved too much for Gary Barlow, who broke down in agony at the end of the first day of the Comic Relief challenge.

The crocked Take That star "collapsed in a heap" after the gruelling four-hour trek as he could no longer bear the pain of his injured back.

His fellow celebrities had earlier helped him up the first leg of their 19,000ft climb by taking turns at carrying his rucksack.

A source said: "He was in a great deal of pain but everyone rallied around to get him through it. It was a hellish experience especially with the steep incline but Gazza refused to give up. It really was a baptism of fire to say the least."

The muscles in Gary's back went into spasm during a training session last week.

But a Comic Relief spokesman added: "He is determined not to let his back beat him."

Gary, 38, is joined by Cheryl Cole, 25, and Kimberley Walsh, 27, of Girls Aloud. TV's Fearne Cotton, 26, Ben Shephard, 34, Denise Van Outen, 34, Ronan Keating, 31, Strictly's Alesha Dixon, 30 and DJ Chris Moyles, 35, are also taking part.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/03/02/comic-relief-exclusive-gary-barlow-struggles-with-mount-kilimanjaro-challenge-115875-21164419/

Poor Gary!

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

Good luck to the team on Kili, it's a beautiful mountain and I hope they all learn as much as I did. Never take a 19,000ft mountain for granted, the last night is the hardest...but yields the biggest reward. I hope they all come back to the UK with the energy + happiness that the Tanzanian people bring to their visitors. Thinking of you all, enjoy the views and enjoy the sights and raise some money for the poor in our world

That's a lovely post, Fine Day, and how cool are you having actually scaled the mountain!! WOW. :-)

Summit Special

Gary Barlow is keeping a "Climb Diary" for the Sun.

Before beginning the climb, Gary met a local guide, a young man called Jackson. He has been to the summit 80 times!!

Jackson told Gary that, at just 16 years of age, he survived 2 bouts of malaria, the killer of 3,000 young people per day.

From Day 2 of the diary, Gary says, "The end of the walk was in rain, so we all reached camp tired and wet. Then, just as we were ready to collapse, the clouds parted, and we had the most beautiful view of the summit for the 1st time". Lovely.

A belated Happy Birthday to Ronan Keating, who had to celebrate his birthday on Kili yesterday!! :-)

The team are now at approximately 12,470 ft. and the sum raised = £662,493!! (still not enough!).

Guest inxces4308

There is a great bit of footage of Moyles on the homepage:

http://www.rednoseday.com/climb

They are doing video messages.....

Radio 1 total so far (12.30pm) is = £662,493

The Complete total so far (12:30pm) is = £779,116

I think Moyles mentioned it this morning that the climb, without radio 1, would have raised buger all!

Guest inxces4308

Radio 1 total so far (8.45pm) is = £708,536

The Complete total so far (8.45pm) is = £802,506

The radio 1 counter that counts how far up the mountain they have got has also gone crazy!....Attached image. My counter is still going up too!

post-6494-145327871836_thumb.jpg

post-6494-145327871839_thumb.jpg

Guest inxces4308

So the totals:

Radio 1 Total (12.45pm) - £837,134

Complete Total (12.45pm) - £937,657

So so so so so so close to £1 million now!

They should easily pass that target.

Does anybody know how much Chris raised for Comic Relief last year? I would be interested to see if the two compare.

Also, for any fellow geeks:

http://www.music4.com/musicservices/catalogue/598/bbc-radio-1/chris-moyles-vernon-kay-comic-relief-jingles-themes.html

Radio 1 Total (7pm) - £896,107

Complete Total (7pm) - £1,028,161

One thing i wanted to add, is yes i think they are doing a great thing but i dont think it gives a true representation to listeners of how it would be to climb Kili. I know it will be very difficult for them, etc.

But, they probably have close to 100 people with them helping them on their way.

Anyway, i'll stop being cynical now!

Fearne Cotton reportedly collapsed after suffering nosebleeds while climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.

The presenter is one of a nine-strong team of celebrities attempting to reach the top of the highest peak in Africa for Comic Relief.

Cotton was among group members said to be suffering on the fourth day of the ascent, with ITN reporting that the 27-year-old collapsed as the altitude took its toll.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/a148668/cotton-collapses-on-kilimanjaro-climb.html

Attunement.png

Guest CancerForTheCure

My boyfriend and I donated £15 yesterday (well, it was his money but I initiated it :P). He is not a big fan of Chris so I was more than keen to donate for Gary! I will probably text in as well.

Time for you to donate!! lol

The team are now at 15,090 ft. Amount raised = £1,151,182.00 (I believe R1 have broken a record today with amounts raised via donations, so very, very well done!!).

From Day 3 of Gary Barlow's climb diary: Gary wrote about the scary sight of seeing a man being stretchered off Kili. with an oxygen mask!! (That's the thing about these climbs: many people dream of doing them - myself included - but it's all too easy to forget the dangers!).

Gary's final comment is: "Here's a thought before I sign off for the night - we are sleeping in the clouds tonight, and tomorrow we'll be above them". Lovely. :-)

It's still not too late to DONATE!! Here's the magic number : 88808!!

(ps: that rhymes!!).