Unofficial Mills

'Elderly' bus tickets discrimination

Jono

Just saw this on local news and can't believe what I was seeing. More political correctness gone mad, no other age group gets free tickets, and yet that's what they'll be renaming the tickets to.

A BUS company has come under fire for giving out tickets to over 60s with the word 'elderly' printed on them.

Pensioners had voiced their anger after being handed bus tickets in Ipswich which referred to them as elderly tickets, which have been free of charge since 2006.

Elderly groups and charities yesterday branded the tickets issued by Ipswich buses “insensitive”, “unnecessary” and “unsympathetic”.

Cliff Horne, chairman of the Suffolk Pensioner's Association, said a change was definitely needed.

“There is a campaign against age discrimination and that is an aspect of it - the wording. I do not think it should be used. Why differentiate between passengers?

“I think it is insensitive and unnecessary. If they need to know how many tickets for admin reasons they should use numbering or something,” he said.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=News&tBrand=EADOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=IPED18%20Oct%202007%2022%3A42%3A53%3A983

On the local news there were women sitting there moaning about it all, and some guy who just sat there saying he didn't give a stuff as long as he gets a ticket. One woman then was outraged saying she doesn't want to be labelled an elderly person, it's discrimination and puts her in the same league as someone in a wheel chair. Oops...

Shut up Andy, don't give them ideas to get rid of it! I'm looking forward to my bus pass, but they'll probably put the age limit up as I get nearer to being able to get one, like the bloody retirement age. We are all just bloody battery hens in the global coup.

'The light at the end of the tunnel was the light of an oncoming train'

Perhaps they should give them something more exciting to read than bus tickets? Perhaps 'over 65' would be a bit more sensitive. But they get them free, they shouldn't be moaning. I pay £1.40 a journey, I should be complaining dammit.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

perhaps when you've lived through 55 years of failed dreams frustration and disappointment, interspersed with a few moments of ecstasy and joy, you have every right to have a good moan about what ever you like!

I'll probably have to work till I'm 93, if I don't die first, because of the pension problems caused by an ageing population. I just missed out on free bus travel for being under 19, so I'll have to wait and see.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I'll probably have to work till I'm 93, if I don't die first, because of the pension problems caused by an ageing population. I just missed out on free bus travel for being under 19, so I'll have to wait and see.

:yeahthat:

Very pertinent point.

I'm a fair bit older than you and have already come to terms with the fact that there won't be any remaining funds in the 'pension kitty' (UK or Spain) for me at 65 - so frankly you youngsters have had it. Sorry.

Or maybe my generation will all die young. I'll carry on smoking. Just to do my bit, you understand, then you lot will be in clover, pension-wise! ;)

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

If they don't want to be discriminated agains't then don't give em the bus tickets, give em the same bloody option we have which is pay up or walk.

I agree with you. No patronising concessions and no forced retirement. lets all go on until we drop, like Jimmy Saville and Bruce Forsyth. Working keeps your brain alive and stops the annoying decrepitude from setting in too early.

UM is a nice place