Unofficial Mills

Instrumental Continuation of Tracks

Forgive me if this has been answered already, elsewhere. Just something I'm curious about.

When they 'extend' the actual record into an 'instrumental section' (to talk over, afterwards), how is this done?

1/ With their own 'vocal-removing' technology?

2/ By getting cover bands to make something that will sound very similar?

3/ By receiving extra tracks from the record companies, for that purpose?

4/ By clipping instrumental parts from the record - or a 'B-Side'/ '12"' type alternate version of it??

Whatever the answer, I think there's an over-reliance on it - but that's a different topic!!

• 2 weeks later...

I sort music for a radio station and a lot of the time within a promo pack there's an instrumental within there too we can use as a bed.

Someone I know works for the bbc, and has access to dira. I've been on there myself and have been through Radio 1's. For their big tunes they will have various edits about. The usual stand alone radio edit, one with a 'power intro', sometimes an edit with the tune as you know it then into a 2 min loop to talk over tagged on the end. It depends.

Talking over instrumentals onto the end of a tune isn't anything new at all for radio 1. I remember as far back as early breakfast, Scott was doing it on there. And I'm talking 20 odd years ago. Although there wasn't a massive "ONE (one one one)" etc to break it up back then.

on the grid.

Also. I know to it that radio 1 for many years have been crafting their own edits of tunes too. Red Hot Chili Peppers Can't Stop which came out in 2003, their version of that cuts off the longer intro you hear on Absolute etc. The same copy still sits in their system as of 21 years ago. When Rihanna Umbrella came out, they played a version with an instrumental start and just kicks in on Rihannas first verse, without Jay Z at the beginning. Their mix of Ultrabeat Pretty Green Eyes you may hear on dance anthems now and again today, isn't the usual radio edit everyone else played when new. It's some variation of edit of the CJ Stone mix. The same edit they were playing back in 2003 when it was new.

Even as recent as last year they had their own version on Beyonce Virgos Groove (which I "borrowed" from their playout), that was 3 mins. Wherever you search there is no existing radio edit of that song and the normal version is closer to 5 mins. 

on the grid.