Unofficial Mills

Jeremy Vine

onlyME

Is it really a massive problem him being there for a while longer? He's not heavily reliant on the music played as its drastically cut down as its a speech show. So that's not an issue, he still seems pretty popular. There's been a lot of change at Radio 2 recently, there needs to be some stability for a while.

on the grid.

4 hours ago, NathanS said:

Tina Daheley. She's his main cover, and does an even better job (in my opinion).

I think she’s definately would be a listener favourite and be at the top of the list of most likely to take over such a slot think other bookies odds if they were to run it would be Phil Williams and less so Paddy O’Connell. I think less likely hats in the ring would be listed as Naga Munchetty and Gordon Smart. 

That said with the new charter renewal with the BBC pitching podcasts like Newscast and Americast as two examples of their drive to focus on audio programming of news and current affairs. Wonder what changes would mean for the hours a station like Radio 2 dedicate to it. I wonder if eventually they would want in the next decade secure ability to change the format of the programming so it’s less to do with the government, international news and politics on a music station but more about like stuff of money saving tips, mental wellbeing and health tips that are less a reaction to the days news.

1 hour ago, DC said:

Is it really a massive problem him being there for a while longer? He's not heavily reliant on the music played as its drastically cut down as its a speech show. So that's not an issue, he still seems pretty popular. There's been a lot of change at Radio 2 recently, there needs to be some stability for a while.

I think he’s very marmite and doesn’t have the popularity and listener support that Steve Wright and Ken Bruce had when they moved from their daytime shows on the station. I think maybe because Vine is more vocal figure. I think if Jeremy Vine left to focus on making programming with Channel 5 don’t think there would be as many listeners who would be wishing for him to stay on as some of the stations roster. It felt that there wasn’t as big of a reaction to Vanessa Feltz departure the other newsy type broadcaster in recent time.

I usually enjoy the Jeremy Vine Show (switching over to R1 after 2pm news, as - whisper it - Scott isn't doing it for, on R2). He handles the mixture of light and serious talking points (plus musical interludes) skilfully enough.

Vine also has a while to go before he matches Jimmy Young's tenure (and not everyone was too keen on him - but that's another story).

If he absolutely had to be replaced, then someone should twist Nicky Campbell's arm .....

The only thing about Tina is, I can't imagine them wanting to break up the Breakfast trio because she and Richie sit very comfortably as Zoe's co-hosts. So I feel like they may look into other options.

Personally I think once Jeremy leaves they should look into removing the requirement for that format of show and then change the timeslots for Vernon and Scott to take up the time. So Vern going till 1 and Scott his classic slot of 1-4.

5 hours ago, UnofficialStark said:

The only thing about Tina is, I can't imagine them wanting to break up the Breakfast trio because she and Richie sit very comfortably as Zoe's co-hosts. So I feel like they may look into other options.

Personally I think once Jeremy leaves they should look into removing the requirement for that format of show and then change the timeslots for Vernon and Scott to take up the time. So Vern going till 1 and Scott his classic slot of 1-4.

I think in terms of what Jeremy Vine’s show slot shares similarities to maybe what a Radio 5 Live show does. So any reformation of the charter maybe about how it looks at things for the whole network and service and the content it provides for key demographics rather than strict guide-lines for one station. I think as shared before if the BBC were to designate its finances to getting a new news radio station that would replace the current 5live and possibly on FM only taking Radio 1’s FM frequency they could focus on directing people to a specific news station to direct people to for more news after bulletins. So that a station like Radio 2 would be more able to focus on music, entertainment and conversations that resonate with its listener-base

On 8/10/2023 at 2:32 PM, BBCAaron said:

In a situation where that they could ditch the current format of the lunchtime hot topic newsy music show I would consider moving Scott forward and maybe have Jo Whiley & Steve Lamarq squeezed into the afternoons 

It does seem odd Scott only does two hours. I felt it was a temporary timeslot.