Should Britain keep 'Trident'?

Should we keep 'Trident'?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should we keep 'Trident'?

• Yes
    • No
    • Cheryl Baker

It's a contentious subject.

As a proponent of nuclear disarmament, I'm pretty much in favour of scrapping Trident and all nuclear weapons which are at our disposal.

But what are your thoughts?

I must confess that I'm not entirely sure what "Trident" is. :-?

Trident is the name of a type of Nuclear missile that can carry up to 8 warheads to a target and deploy them independently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trident_missile

Also the fleet of submarines that are armed with the weapons in the british navy are known as Trident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_class_submarine

(I used to love anything to do with submarines and/or spacecraft.. and still do to an extent, but waaaaay back I was a sub and shuttle geek :P)

If you're looking historically, it's basically a type of three-pronged staff weapon, often associated with Greek gods.

*cough*North Korea*cough*

What I don't get is why US and UK governments appear to think they have this divine right to be the ONLY ones with Nuclear Weapons...

Also it's VERY suspect that Iraq is only suspected of having them and we go to war, but in N.Korea, we have PROOF and they even ANNOUNCE it, but you don't see Warmonger Bush going there.... do they have little or no oil perhaps?

Gaunty was talking about it in The Sun yesterday. He was against the whole idea when Thatcher was talking about trident, as he thought it was wrong. But then he realised he was wrong, and when we have people like North Korea we need to show we're serious about these things, and we need to put up a fight against these countries.