Unofficial Mills

Big Thing (Record of the week)

harrysmyth

See I like Big Things and it would be great to see them back, Call it Record of the Week though. However I'm pretty sure the DJ's didn't pick them. I remember Grimmy mentioning he didn't like the song that was being played at that time and then 2 weeks later, It's his Big Thing. Anyway just my opinion. All in all Big Things should come back!

See I like Big Things and it would be great to see them back, Call it Record of the Week though. However I'm pretty sure the DJ's didn't pick them. I remember Grimmy mentioning he didn't like the song that was being played at that time and then 2 weeks later, It's his Big Thing. Anyway just my opinion. All in all Big Things should come back!

Well Nick Grimshaw's opinion has been know to change regarding songs! And half on the fun is when a playlisted song starts playing and he just has the audacity to press what I call the thumbs down buzzer! Good on him!

As far as I can tell, I think the songs are partly chosen by the DJ. I think the Music Team at Radio 1 put forward some up and coming songs and then the DJs chose which one they want, with Nick having the first dibs. If someone is better informed then me then please do chip in and correct me. I'm fairly sure this is what happens though as Nick mentioned the process on-air once.

Agreed. Track of the day is pretty pointless - not all that different a concept than any other playlisted thing they have to press play on. Big things were much more interesting (apart from those weeks when they just picked them from the biggest guest that dj had on their show that week).