Unofficial Mills

BBC R1 No Longer Available on American Satellite Radio

tvguy101

The one thing I have always heard is that you cannot simply get, for example, Adele followed by the Foo Fighters, followed by NDubz, the way R1 would randomly pull it off !!

Aled answered a question about how the music is chosen on CM.net. he said its all selected so that 2 genres do not follow each other

james_ryder.png

The one thing I have always heard is that you cannot simply get, for example, Adele followed by the Foo Fighters, followed by NDubz, the way R1 would randomly pull it off !!

It depends on the station. Here's the "most-recently played" list from the better of my local top 40 stations. Most of the artists here should be familiar to Radio 1 listeners so you can gauge how well things mix for yourself.

http://www.kc101.com/pages/whatsong.html

You will note songs that are months-old are still being played every two hours or so. As of Wednesday evening Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" is being spun every 90 minutes despite having been released as a single six months ago. "Someone Like You" was released in late June but still hasn't hit commercial radio here.

What about the worse radio stations?

And some of that music is quite old, and all the same genre. We need to get more British music over to America, there's another of theirs over here. Why not the other way round?

Here's the "worse" station in my area's playlist, sorted by most-played first. You'll notice "Stereo Love" comes in at #11. That hit radio here in the States last fall and is still getting massive play. That's what happens when you do corporate "focus groups" to determine playlists instead of relying on a braintrust like Radio 1.

http://www.kiss957.com/iplaylist/playlist.html

Sadly a lot of UK music is never even legally released here in the US. We can buy music Rizzle Kicks and Cher Lloyd but nothing by Take That since their '07 reunion, or the latest from Scouting for Girls. Other artists have released here in the past and stopped with their latest albums including The Saturdays, Dizzee Rascal, Calvin Harris, and JLS.