Unofficial Mills

Annie Nightingale breaks world record today!

Jono

BBC Radio 1 DJ Annie Nightingale has been given a Guinness World Record for having the longest career as a female radio presenter.

She was presented with the award by one of her favourite musicians, Liam Gallagher, at Radio 1's studios in central London.

Annie became the first female DJ on Radio 1 back in 1970 and has spent 40 years at the station.

She is now its longest serving presenter.

A special tribute evening was recently held in her honour at the famous Maida Vale studios, featuring performances from the likes of Paul Weller, Professor Green and Fatboy Slim.

'Keep cool'

Annie said: "When I took the wrong record off and caused eight seconds of dead air on my very first Radio 1 show, I thought that was the beginning and end of me.

"Since then I think it's been a case of keep cool and carry on."

Annie was awarded an MBE for her services to broadcasting in 2002 and two years later she became the only woman to date to be inducted into the Radio Academy Hall of Fame.

Liam, who presented the award to Annie on his birthday, said: "Annie is a true icon of British Radio. She's been on Radio 1 since before I was born.

"Good on her for getting this record. I hope she's still here in another 40 years!"

Annie's musical background ranges from acid house, to punk, to drum and bass and she's been on tour with bands including The Police, The Who and The Rolling Stones.

Her weekly show (Fridays from 2am-4am) has won best radio show at the International Breakspoll Awards for the last five years in a row.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/11383209