Unofficial Mills

Swearing On R1?

Guest PineapplesLikeAarons

I swear that on Radio 1 nowadays there is loads of swearing (when I say loads I mean once a month..)! Take for instance, just now, Scott just played Hot n' Cold by that German band, and they didn't miss out the 'b*tch' bit. Which, I class as a swear word...

Yet, they cannot play 'Dirty Picture' on R1, instead they play 'Take A Picture' (Taio Cruz ft. Ke$ha). But, I swear that Radio 1 played 'Best I Ever Had' (Drake), which is just as bad. I suppose it depends on the context actually.

Maybe I'm just mad and stupid..

I don't think you're mad and stupid, but to me it's doesn't seems so bad. Maybe that's because I'm used to it. If someone swears on air in Denmark, that's no big scandal. They shouldn't of course, and they all try to avoid it, but it happens.

Then again, I think swearing is a normal part of the Danish language, sadly, I don't know how it is in the UK.

However, swearing in songs is different, and I always think it's a bit strange that they "have to" remove the swearing in songs.

Il n'y a qu'un devoir, c'est d'être heureux; il ny'a qu'une vertu, c'est la justice -Denis Diderot

I actually don't care about the swearing, it's part of my daily language, but I just thought that they're not allowed to on air! It offends people or something..?

Yet, they cannot play 'Dirty Picture' on R1, instead they play 'Take A Picture' (Taio Cruz ft. Ke$ha)

I found it interesting that Reggie played the proper version on the chart show last Sunday, yet during the week they play the dire radio edit version! :confused:

I've heard Grimmy swear quite a few times on R1 but i guess that's cos he's on in the evenings and there's that watershed thingy I guess... either way, it's never bothered me. Oh and, btw, Annalie, you're not stupid, just mad, i'm on the same boat as u on that one.. ;)

I found it interesting that Reggie played the proper version on the chart show last Sunday, yet during the week they play the dire radio edit version! :confused:

Yes, I remember that! I thought u weren't allowed to!! Either way, the original is best! ;)

there is no radio watershed - so rumours of it being allowed after 9PM are false. Swearing is allowed on the radio, it all depends on the context.

Ofcom state that if offensive language is needed, it must be at a time when it is not likely to be heard by children. So, in theory, it is much safer to swear during the day on the radio than during the night.

Radio 4 are constantly broadcasting old plays which have offensive language. For example, the 'N word' was used constantly during a black American play. But they didn't get into trouble because of the context the word was used in.

There are certain words which cause offence, and people complain about, and ofcom has a list of the most offensive words (in order)

If someone complains about offensive language, ofcom will investigate it (as somebody has been offended by the language used) but it fully depends on the context the word was used in.

radio 1 forces the regulations on itself, and from what i understand, dj's have to pay a fine if they swear on air, and i suppose scott was willing to pay the fine for the use of bitch.

And that drake song has the word fuck silenced, but it is quite obvious, i'm not offended by the language (everyone hears/uses worse/more everyday) just by the pathetic excuse for a song.

Personally i'd like scott to play one of his many clips over the swear word or the PR4L saying "swear word"

etheridge_tom.png

I remember listening to the Radio 1 Review show from 8 not too long ago where Nihal had a soundclip of one of his guests from The Wire saying "shiiiiiiiiiittt...". Nihal said he had received special permission to play it a maximum of three times during the show.

radio 1 forces the regulations on itself, and from what i understand, dj's have to pay a fine if they swear on air, and i suppose scott was willing to pay the fine for the use of bitch.

And that drake song has the word fuck silenced, but it is quite obvious, i'm not offended by the language (everyone hears/uses worse/more everyday) just by the pathetic excuse for a song.

Personally i'd like scott to play one of his many clips over the swear word or the PR4L saying "swear word"

there's nothing wrong with the word bitch. There's a song by Meredith Brooks called Bitch which still gets unedited plays across billions of commercial radio stations.

there is no radio watershed - so rumours of it being allowed after 9PM are false. Swearing is allowed on the radio, it all depends on the context.

Ofcom state that if offensive language is needed, it must be at a time when it is not likely to be heard by children. So, in theory, it is much safer to swear during the day on the radio than during the night.

Radio 4 are constantly broadcasting old plays which have offensive language. For example, the 'N word' was used constantly during a black American play. But they didn't get into trouble because of the context the word was used in.

There are certain words which cause offence, and people complain about, and ofcom has a list of the most offensive words (in order)

If someone complains about offensive language, ofcom will investigate it (as somebody has been offended by the language used) but it fully depends on the context the word was used in.

Ah, that also explains why Mark and Lard used to have a trail with "let's kick some ass", it was usually played around the start of the afternoon show, when it was likely kids would be in school and not listening. I can see why Radio1 would impose it's apparent sort-of ban though, given it's target age group.

Professional eater of puppy dogs, baby heads and killer of grannies...