John's Movie Club

John

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have any of you seen David Lynch's Blue Velvet? Total mind f*ck!

Ive seen that! Right over my head it went. Watching films like that is a complete challenge for me. Im much like Funkyseaweed up there. With that said though, if someone tells me a film is good, no matter how confusing, i will watch it. And watch it to death till i understand it. Except Vanilla Sky. Dont watch Vanilla Sky.

Ive seen that! Right over my head it went. Watching films like that is a complete challenge for me. Im much like Funkyseaweed up there. With that said though, if someone tells me a film is good, no matter how confusing, i will watch it. And watch it to death till i understand it. Except Vanilla Sky. Dont watch Vanilla Sky.

I've not seen Vanilla Sky but apparantly its quite similar to Eternal Sunshine

take control

Except Vanilla Sky. Dont watch Vanilla Sky.

Haha, seconded.

I also really adore Peter Jackson's early stuff: 'Bad Taste', 'Meet the Feebles' and 'Braindead'. All very warped, disturbing and utterly compelling!

You should watch the opening scene of Vanilla Sky, it's brilliant, then stop the film and go do something else. The opening dream scene with Everything In Its Right Place by Radiohead playing is the best bit by far. The rest of the film is weird and confusing and I felt like I'd wasted an hour and a half of my life after watching it.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Maybe i'm just sub-human but I didnt cry at The Notebook. It was a nice story but I wasnt moved by it. It reminded me alot of Green Mile and Big Fish.

Most of the time I was wondering what else Allie had been in. I've only just now realised it was Wedding Crashers

take control

There is a few good films on TV this week.

Tommorow night on Channel 4, Bill Murray in Lost In Translation. A very strange comedy drama, well worth a watch. Then just after that one of Kubrick's finest films - The Clockwork Orange.

On Thursday night on Channel 4, Tarrantino's Jackie Brown.

Vanilla Sky is on Film 4 tonight. If I get chance I might watch that.

take control

Stacey: Any luck with Vanilla Sky?

Just to remind you all that Lost in Translation is on Channel 4 at 9. I love this film, but I know lots of people that don't like it, so it'll be interesting to find out what you all think. :)

Have anyone seen The Virgin Suicides, also directed by Sofia Coppola?

I still don't like A Clockwork Orange. I think people assume it will be this spectacular masterpiece because it was banned but to me it's just a film with some existential undertones clothed in surrealism, becoming bogged-down and consumed by the story of the main protagonist without attempting to challenge government effectively as it should have.