Unofficial Mills

Jo Whiley in her own words

Jono

This much I know: Jo Whiley

DJ Jo Whiley, 44, in her own words

Jo-Whiley-and-jukebox-001.jpg

When I talk on air, I always know where I'm going. I have bullet points in my head, information I want to convey. Sometimes what you actually say makes sense and sometimes it comes out in a splurge.

I'm the world's biggest weeper. I saw Up the other day with my boys and two minutes in they looked over to check and, yes, I was crying. I cry out of frustration, too.

Interviewing Britney Spears was like having a one-night stand. It made me feel cheap and frustrated. I couldn't get beneath the veneer, the absolute nothing.

My sister and I DJ as the Whiley Sisters. [Jo's 40-year-old sister Frances has cri-du-chat syndrome, a genetic disorder which causes learning disabilities.] It's been lovely to see her confidence grow – she elbows me out the way to talk to the audience now. Her floorfiller is Abba's Dancing Queen.

Once I made up tour dates for a band live on air because I didn't know what else to say.

There are so many things I'd change about myself, it's hard to pick just one. Being more organised or less late would be good. The more children I have, the worse it gets.

My last dream was about Cheryl Cole. It was because I had to interview her – I dream about work a lot. I am immersed in The X Factor this year, though Stacey's my favourite.

People don't respect that those with special needs have feelings. I hate people staring at Frances. It makes me defensive and angry and I have to shame them into looking away.

If you're on-stage faced with a sea of people, ask them where they're from. "Hello Sunderland, hello Dublin." No matter how many times you do it, they'll always cheer.

My earliest memory is being lost. We were on a family holiday in Cornwall, it was dry and hot and I was bemused, wondering where everyone had gone. I didn't feel scared – I had that sense of security in my family.

The worst thing that ever happened on air was technical trouble during a U2 interview being broadcast worldwide. Millions were listening to nothing. Bono got up and walked out and I thought, "Holy shit". But he came back five seconds later with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and vodka in the other and asked me, "What's your poison?" I thought he was having a hissy fit, but he was looking for the remedy.

I feel fundamentally blonde.

I don't miss my Radio 1 daytime show. To be honest, I don't know how I did it – I've got four kids, including my baby, Coco, who's one. If I'd stayed, how would new talent like Fearne Cotton get on air? You're naïve if you don't think you should step aside and try different things.

The Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" makes me think of my husband.

Young people think it's OK to use offensive words. I hate the use of spaz and spastic. People wouldn't be racist or sexist, but they still say that.

I haven't cooked anything for years.

Listeners don't seem to realise DJs actually read the emails they send in. You get a lot of offensive ones. When it first happened I'd reply "How dare you!" – but quite often they'd reply and say they meant every word. You just have to tell yourself, at least they're listening.

I don't have a shred of musical talent. It's the biggest shame of my life.

Mencap's Little Noise Sessions run from 16-24 November. For details, go to www.littlenoisesessions.org.uk

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/01/this-much-i-know-jo-whiley-dj