Unofficial Mills

Female voiceover?

capes

has the current female VO (Holly) either been sacked or just cant be arsed to do any other work for R1 as all the promos now seem to be voiced either by random people (Greg James' Summer Tour) or the INMWT female (What do you think about Radio 1 & Creamfields) or is this just because Creamfields is a INMWT event? I know she does the main bulk of imaging e.g. BBC Radio 1, Listen again to all of R1, Radio 1 Podcasts, Digital, FM, Online etc but i am assuming these were all recorded months ago before she was actualy put on air

Capes :)

Guest inxces4308

No, she's just a crap voiceover.

Are you saying they have to use the same voice over and over and over again and not 'mix it up a little'? Because if you are, then your being stupid.

i beg your pardon!!

I am just saying that for daytime promos they usually use the daytime VO's, however i have not heard the current female VO being used for any daytime promos and wondered if there was any particular reason behind it such as her not wanting to do any more voice work for R1 etc.

Guest inxces4308

I think its nice not to use the same voice over and over again. There are several reasons:

1. The female voiceover doesn't get too repetitive, remember she is on every ident during daytime output, they play around 4-5 ident's an hour. Then she is also on the news jingles.

2. It makes promos stand out and therefore the listener turns up the radio because they are intrigued as to what's different. In turn this then gets the message across better to listeners.

These are very good points! Thanks for enlightening me! I dont think the current VO's are too bad, ok they are not as good as the Scotsman and his female VO partner but i suppose they could be a lot worse. I do think the BBC is shoe horned in on the newsbeat imaging though, that is the only thing that still grates on me slightly when listening.