Unofficial Mills

Creative traineeship

LJ123456

Hi This is my first post here. ANyway I was thinking about applying for a creative traineeship for BBC radio 1. I am just wondering what the standard for that would be. I've already done work experience at two major commercial radio stations in London and I currently do part-time work at a radio station in a sales/ marketing/contests department.

I'm guessing this is a place where people have done or have applied for work experience, etc at bbc so I am just seeking a bit of advice. I am in university at the mo.

thank you! Feel Free to PM me.

Hi This is my first post here. ANyway I was thinking about applying for a creative traineeship for BBC radio 1. I am just wondering what the standard for that would be. I've already done work experience at two major commercial radio stations in London and I currently do part-time work at a radio station in a sales/ marketing/contests department.

I'm guessing this is a place where people have done or have applied for work experience, etc at bbc so I am just seeking a bit of advice. I am in university at the mo.

thank you! Feel Free to PM me.

Hey LJ123456,

I applied for work experience with Radio 4 and got a month's placement about two years ago now. I decided against applying for work experience with Radio 1, as the Station is so popular. Bear in mind that there are only two places, and competition is going to be relatively high.

Ask yourself, are you: talented, dedicated, enthusiastic & 100% committed?

They basically want someone that stands out from the rest. It's your chance to sell yourself and make them want to give you a chance. Show them that you have a keen interest in the subject / industry and can offer your creative skills to improving the product, which is Radio.

It's good that you've had previous experience of working in Radio. Show on the application the skills which you've learnt and explain briefly how this has benefited you and others. Mention everything you've done, the info you've gathered and how you used the skills to get the most of everything you involved yourself with.

Looking at the criteria, I would suggest you try to answer as much of it as possible in the respects of what they're looking for.

Good luck,

To be honest... as much as I'd like to help... I'm not going to because I've worked very very hard on my application for it. Good luck to you though

Thetricktolife,

It doesn't hurt to help the competition. The key to being ahead is not give all your secrets away.

507033771.183.1247039672.png

Guest inxces4308

The thing i dislike about the BBC placements is that they wont take on anybody that has a hint of radio knowledge/radio experience.

It dosent fill their 'quota' of people. Sorry, but its true.

Good look with the placements application! Just be truthful on it.

I wrote the right amount... or so I hope.. its allowed up to 4000 characters per section, so I've got about 2000 in each. All relevant non waffling.

You do understand someone will have to read through yours and others applications, an application with 6000 or so words isn't really going to be the highlight of their day ;)

I'm not too sure how you can write 2000 characters for "Please tell us why you are interested in this particular placement and how you think it will benefit you." ...

It's not length but quality, just because they give a limit of 4000 doesn't mean you have to use it up.

Attunement.png

I would just say apply for it. There are always exceptions to the rule. Really, age is just a number. I managed to do freelance writing for a number of music magazines when I was about 14,15. It's really about what you've done and your potential ability. I'd say if you've had some years of radio experience under your belt already, you'd be a fair candidate for any sort of BBC work experience.