Unofficial Mills

Describe the year you first started listening to Scott Mills

Jono

I first tuned into Scott's shows in 2004. I was just 16, I was in my first year of high school, social media wasn't a thing. Mobile internet wasn't a thing. And podcasts and on-demand radio wasn't either. I'd listen on my hi-fi, which I think was capable of DAB, and I'd record the shows on to tape (whooo?) when they were on breakfast so I could listen back later in the day. When Scott was on afternoons I'd have a pocket radio I'd take with me to school to listen on the bus on the way home. 

Before Scott's show I still loved radio - but I'd be tapping the dial more and listening to a lot more commercial and even local. Suddenly I was hooked on Radio 1 and it barely got switched off! This was before I had a job, so I'd be listening from 7am right through until midnight. I loved it.

And here's a photograph from back then!

Anyone else want to join in? :)

41348_420106515924_3124031_n_420106515924.jpg

There wasn't a "year" for me really. The first I heard him was around 2001 on early breakfast. It was in the 6 weeks holidays and I remember sometimes my dad for his job at the time would have to travel a fair bit to drop equipment off, from the Midlands up to Newcastle was the one day. I sometimes used to tag along. So we were up dead early to set off. 

I remember him playing a tune and then using a state of the art (of the time) loop machine to loop intros as beds to talk over before the vocal. I thought that was so sharp and sounded great. Nowdays that's easy but in 2001 it was all new.

Autumn 2004 into 2005 was when I properly started to see how good he really was. By then he'd teamed up with Chappers and made the drive show his own. I was looking for an excuse to keep listening to Radio 1 after Mark and Lard went, and Scott provided it.

on the grid.

I'm playing catch up here as I only even started listening to Radio 1 in November of 2021.  I moved to Scotland two years prior, had a few months before the pandemic hit.  I had pretty much given up on radio back home except for the school run as even the non latest music stations were repetitive (you have 30-40ish years of music to pick from and you still have to play Hotel California two, three times a day!!???) and heavy with adverts.  So I just listened to Spotify and old RSK shows on loop.  I am kicking myself now, it not dawning on me that BBC Radio was out there as I have heard many times of the companionship felt during lock down times.

What's kind of funny is one of the the first things I remember about Scott and Chris was the farting version of Do it To it which I HATED.  But it wasn't long before I was silently cursing Doreen for printing stuff out right when Brother or Lover reveal was made or turning the radio down to make a phone call during the whoooo game.  Man alive I used to look forward to Mondays just for that.  Crazy.