Unofficial Mills

What was technology like when you first listened to Radio 1?

Jono

I first got heavily listening in the 2000s before Listen Again and I'd record Scott Mills on my computer or even a tape if I missed the show. Podcasts weren't a thing and I'd have to take a pocket radio (whoo?) to listen to Radio 1 at school. What was the technology like when you got listening? 

You sound like you had a great school @Jono. My dad used to put it on in the car around 2012 when I was 6/7 and I got obsessed, used to watch online and everything. 2017-2019 I only listened in the morning as that was what my alarm was set to however now since Lockdown, I have got back my old obsession. I have grown up with streaming so I can listen when I want with the power of BBC sounds. Even in my computer science class ?

With radio in general it was probably  on my way to school, mainly radio 2.  
End of my Aleve, is when i stared paying more attention to radio 1.  It would of been live lounge month 2016 is the first time I rember  paying loads of attention to radio 1. 
used to listen on 3rd party app on my computer, and in the car and i player radio. WHO 

Then Sounds came along and it made listening so much easier. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started listening to Radio 1 in February 2014 and the big thing back then was Visualisation, especially live streaming of shows and features. The main shows/features live streamed were of course The Official Chart, Dan and Phil, Innuendo Bingo and The Live Lounge - but many shows and features were live streamed, wherever there was an opportunity. Access All Areas springs to mind.

Listen Again wasn't as yet advanced as it is now - the best way of doing so was to go onto the Radio 1 website and find the relevant episode. Even then, you only had 7 days to listen back. And of course there was the BBC iPlayer Radio app.

Also, interesting point to note - the Radio 1 channel on iPlayer launched in November 2014.