Unofficial Mills

Modem help

Mafro

I've got that Netgear wi-fi router, the control panel comes across as quite easy to use, and works well with AOL.

I presume you're talking bog standard broadband as opposed to Telewest like DC and Geezer have on here.

Don't forget you'll need a USB stick or a network card to pick it up on your laptop or computer

have you tried going into PC world Mafro or any other reputable network dealership?

Broadband with telewest can be bog standard Jono, I just have a wireless USB sending a signal from my cable box to my usb pen drive unit which means I dont have the hassle of having cables underneath the floorboards (main reason I got the wireless was it was a new house to me and I couldnt find the trap door :rolleyes:)

Ah right, wireless enabled laptops, that's fair enough. Although I found my sister's wi-fi was a bit sh*t with the built in stuff, but did the job. I'm not really clued up on it all, I wouldn't know what to look for, I just got one that did the job and made sure it worked with my service provider.

I've got Orange (formerly Wanadoo) broadband. The PC I'm currently using isn't Wi-Fi compatible but my laptop is, and thats what I need it for. The nearest PC World is in Edinburgh but I'll have a browse on their website.

Ive got wanadoo broadband,tis alright..but we're getting wireless soon dont know which network on though.

twitter.com/emgreatorex

ive got a Netgear DG834G wireless router, ive connected my wifi laptop to it. Also in the package there was a little USB pen thingy, that you plug into your big desktop pc to make it wireless

So both my computers are wireless

My desktop PC ain't wireless. I had to take it apart to put a network card in it though, so it's too much to make it wireless. It's also kinda pointless, as the network router sits on top of the CPU anyway, so making it wireless would just complicate things unnecessarily.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

sits on top of the CPU

No it doesn't! It sits on top of your computer's case - if it was on the CPU it would be actually inside your computer getting rather toasty. Your computer probably wouldn't last that long either. I just hate it when people get these technical things wrong ;):P

Yes, but Netgear stuff is junk...

The kit I'd recommend is Cisco enterprise stuff, which is about £400

But Olly - can you really see cisco enterprise stuff in your average persons home? Until the world becomes rich and clever - netgear will just have to do :)

But Olly - can you really see cisco enterprise stuff in your average persons home? Until the world becomes rich and clever - netgear will just have to do :)

*shrug*

There are other possibilities too, although most consumer grade stuff is just junk. I'm using two Zyxels at the moment, and they sporadically go odd, like this morning...

dropping.png

The purple/red drips are the lines going offline when they kept rebooting.

Regards,

Olly.

Yes, but Netgear stuff is junk...

The kit I'd recommend is Cisco enterprise stuff, which is about £400 :P

i'd just like to say that netgear isnt rubbish, its one of the best systems on the market, and i have been using mine for quite a while now, its so easy to use and live with, olly...

Sorry, Netgear _is_ rubbish, like most consumer grade stuff from D-Link, Linksys, Thomson, Belkin etc.

Netgear stuff is especially bad, and with MaxDSL some have interesting behavour where the SNR margin wanders over time, causing the connection to drop out. It also accounts for huge numbers of ADSL faults, where end user equipment is responsible.

Regards,

Olly.