Unofficial Mills

Bad news for Grimmy but good news for Clara, Scott and Greg

Jono

A good blog here from @Matt D on the RAJARs.

http://www.mattdeegan.com/2017/10/26/rajar-q32017/

Grimmy's slumped to the smallest audience for Radio 1 breakfast, but there's good news for Clara, Greg, Annie Mac, and Scott who have seen growing audiences. This somewhat contradicts that Radio 1's audience are shunning radio - although I guess they have more appeal with older audiences.

Moyles and Radio X are also on the up which is pleasing to see.

I've made this point before but I feel Radio 1's target audience should be 16-35, and not 16-24 (or 29 officially) as it is now. Radio 2's target demographic is 35+, leaving no mainstream BBC radio service aimed for those of us aged between 25 and 35.

It's also all very well Ben Cooper talking about Radio 1's YouTube subscribers but without the pull of a strong breakfast show then there may well be less engagement with the platform. And of course radio should always be the priority.

I happen to quite like Grimmy now, however the show really needs a bit of a revamp. The finest moments are when Grimmy is just himself and not so "on-script"- for example I enjoyed him talking about his dogs yesterday, or when him and Fiona naturally bounce off one another. The entertainment news is quite good in the sense that it gives Grimmy someone else to bounce off but there seems to be heavy reliance on it as a "feature".

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:55 PM, Ant L said:

I've made this point before but I feel Radio 1's target audience should be 16-35, and not 16-24 (or 29 officially) as it is now. Radio 2's target demographic is 35+, leaving no mainstream BBC radio service aimed for those of us aged between 25 and 35.

That would never be allowed - 30-45 is purposely neglected by the BBC so that commercial radio can get a look in. If Radio 1 skewed its remit to be older, the Radiocentre would have a fit. Bear in mind that the whole emphasis on getting Radio 1's average listener age down in the first place was started by Radiocentre, they'd never allow them to make the target demographic wider. I guess when I hit 30 (it's a long way off yet) I'll just toddle along to Heart and enjoy turning up the feel good to Olly Murs, Take That and Corona all day.

The remit of BBC 6 Music is to entertain lovers of popular music with a service that celebrates the alternative spirit in popular music from the 1960s to the present day. Its programmes juxtapose current releases outside the mainstream with earlier recordings, including music from the BBC Sound Archive. It should provide context for the music it plays, and support live music and new artists.

That's from the 6 Music service licence - its remit is focussed on its output, not its audience it seems.