Unofficial Mills

Button pressing on OBs

japitts

I notice on Moyles' tour this week, he doesn't have as many controls as the main studio desk does and has made comments to the effect of the sound OB truck doing things - also Aled pressing a few buttons from his desk. Also during some OBs (Greg in Belfast last week a prime example) there was some comment about "back in London pressing the buttons)

This got me wondering.. I'm guessing Chris (or indeed any OB DJ) has just got a few basic faders and the cartwall, Aled's got the playlist and music.. and everything else is done from the OB truck with the desk in London set to "outside source".

Yep, you're right. The vast majority of audio is played from the truck. Chris has a few 'basic' faders, so he selects audio, plays some himself, but normally, I think he presses the button, Will in the truck gets a 'notification', and fades it up himself. I could be wrong, but there are plenty of technical people on here that will probably know!

Latest additions:

- Full Imaging Beds package (2009-2010)

- 2009 re-voice by Music4 (DRY+WET IDs, chart numbers 1-40)

- BBC Top Gear - Backing beds used in programs

You'd be surprised actually!

Chris actually plays the music and the jingles, with the Cartwall. The music is also played there, however Chris has the faders for the people on the desk, but the people in the truck do most of the mic fading.

Latest Jingles: 2010 Beds Package, 2009 and 2010 ID Packages, Newsbeat 2009/10.

http://www.freegary.org.uk/

• 3 weeks later...
Also during some OBs (Greg in Belfast last week a prime example) there was some comment about "back in London pressing the buttons)

Most likely that there is someone in the studio monitoring the feed and firing jingles/songs as necessary. You can often tell when they are doing this anyway as the voices sound a bit more mushed (and subtly different, due to the different setup at LR and being fed down ISDN) than the actual songs, which are played back in the studio.

Moyles is probably doing most of the mic fading, but the sound truck does the adding of effects, I seem to remember them asking bloke in the truck to add stereo flange and echo. :P That would seem about right anyway, the OB mixing desk for the presenter seems rather barebones and from the looks of it I wouldn't expect it to do fancy stuff.