Unofficial Mills

Shrinkflation

radio247

7 hours ago, radio247 said:

Looks like Jan Slam was very scaled back this year. It used to be every day in January. It didn't start until the 8th and was only on weekdays. 

It’s been like that for the last couple of years - Greg has taken the first week off in Jan and they’ve only started it in the second week. There was actually one more prize this year than last, and one of the prizes last year was a walk with Barney (the dog).

I’m not surprised recent years have shown that when comes to Live Lounges, funding and investment for digital video content has gone down in recent times. I do think this inevitably the year where we can see a plan of how this could impact the stations regular schedule with maybe break-up of certain duo’s and maybe look at moving some shows from 1 xtra to air across Radio 1. As see a possibility where 1 Xtra a station who has been struggling with attracting a new audience with listener figures shrinking and rivalling its competition of Kiss and Capital Xtra.

I think if there’s one thing that they’re not going to do to save money is start simulcasting 1xtra shows again, I think that’s been made very clear in the past couple of years with changing Saturday nights, and changing the one show that is simulcast across both stations (rap show) to be radio 1 branded rather than 1xtra.

I do agree that we might not see anymore new duos now though. I think it would start to seem a bit too many if there’s more than there currently are.

19 hours ago, Dan18F1 said:

I think if there’s one thing that they’re not going to do to save money is start simulcasting 1xtra shows again, I think that’s been made very clear in the past couple of years with changing Saturday nights, and changing the one show that is simulcast across both stations (rap show) to be radio 1 branded rather than 1xtra.

I do agree that we might not see anymore new duos now though. I think it would start to seem a bit too many if there’s more than there currently are.

I think how the BBC is set to have to push for new cuts this year think some stuff that has been announced in spending changes like the return of BBC Three to free-to-air linear broadcasting. With the cuts set to close Radio 4 Extra this year that there maybe something that later this decade smaller pop music radio stations could be put at risk. As podcasting and internet radio amongst a much larger commercial audience to the demographic of 1 Xtra, Kiss and Capital Xtra will see itself as a much attractive audience to broadcast to.