Unofficial Mills

Final Ever Radio 1 Shows

DC

With Scott leaving recently I thought I'd put something a little interesting up for people to hear back. There could be many out there I've missed so feel free to add any, especially post 2012ish stuff which I'm not too up on really. Below are some poigniant final ever Radio 1 shows, with a little backstory to go along.

Scott Mills 2022-08-25

Only one place to start really. After 24 years at Radio 1 for Scott Mills, and 10 for Chris Stark. The curtain closed on the show in 2022 in emotional style. We all know the story here for that.

Chappers 2009-12-24

The younger audience may or may not know. But before Chris Stark, Scott had another co presenter in Mark 'Chappers' Chapman. He worked on Scott's 4-7pm drivetime show from 2004 to 2009. As a co presenter and also sports reporter on Newsbeat. Chappers also worked with Sara Cox on the Breakfast show, and Dave Vitty (Comedy Dave) for 'Chappers and Dave' on Radio 1 in the 2000's. You can now find him doing Match of the day on the telebox.

Chris Moyles 2012-09-14

Chris Moyles started life at Radio 1 the same way Scott did. On early breakfast back in 1997. Following a successful afternoon show (1998 to 2003), Radio 1 gave Chris Moyles breakfast to kick off 2004. A move that reaped the benefits following falling ratings. Moyles would go on to host breakfast until 2012. He returned to radio in 2015 with Radio X, fronting the breakfast show there. He split opinion, but for us of a certain generation he defined an era. And on his day could be brilliant and incredibly funny.

Chris Moyles (Final Afternoon Show) 2003-12-03

Not the end of Chris Moyles on Radio 1, but a sort of end of an era for people of a certain age. Chris was handed the afternoon show in 1998 following a good stint on early breakfast. The show originally ran from 4-5.45pm, but was given an extra hour in 2001 following Simon Mayo leaving and a reshuffle of the schedule. Through my school years I grew up with hearing Mark & Lard on afternoons followed by Chris Moyles, they coincided perfectly for me. In 2004 Chris moved to breakfast, Mark & Lard left Radio 1, and I left school.

Mark & Lard 2004-03-26

One of the ones I heard on the day, and haven't been able to listen to since. You either got these two or you didn't, I got them and they were brilliant. Free thinking, said what they thought, unique, and just two northern tosspots (self described) who couldn't believe they were given a Radio 1 show. They joined Radio 1 in the early 90's hosting the Graveyard shift which really was a bundle of comedy, poetry and up and coming new indie music. They were given the breakfast show after Chris Evans left, the less said about that the better. The afternoon show that ran from 1997 to 2004, was a success. Featuted quality items such as 'Lard's Classic Cuts', 'Missing Words', 'Beat The Clock'. And 'It's A Mystery', where Mark & Lard introduced their 'Whoooooooo?' catchphrase (later continued by Scott). Most of these were usually Lard inspired, on the phone in another studio putting on a daft voice!

The last show they got to ditch the Radio 1 playlist (no more pesky Ja Rule crap to put up with!). Travis joined them on the show, there was a special song from Coldplay, a goodbye song from all the Radio 1 DJ's, a phone message from David Bowie plus numerous other skits and bits. The show ended with half a catchphrase 'Stop!', a Radio 1 sweeper, and silence, followed by the emergency backup tape. And then Sara Cox afterwards filling people in on what they just heard. There was a running gag where sometimes control from Manchester where they broadcast from, back to London went wrong. And sometimes they'd just see how long they could stay silent for to test the waters. That time it was on purpose. I remember staring at the radio when they went off kind of half expecting them to come back on, they never did.

Simon Mayo 2001-02-15

Simon Mayo seems to be the DJ who was the link between the Radio 1 of old (cheesy 80's jingles and roadshow shorts era), and the Radio 1 of the new millenium. He survived the Bannister axe in the early 90's, down to the fact that he was bloody good tbh. A talented presenter who took on various shifts across the station including the breakfast show at a point. I only heard bits of Simon Mayo in his Radio 1 days, as I only started properly listening to the station around 1999 way. I began to appreciate how good he was in his Radio 2 days when he hosted drivetime there. Sadly the Radio 2 management butchered things up by pairing him with Jo Whiley which never worked. Simon left Radio 2 and is now on Greatest Hits.

His final Radio 1 show was a final show you'd expect. A mix of memories, music, and a final handover with Jo Whiley.

Nemone 2005-09-xx

Even though I recorded this I'm not fully sure of the exact date aside that it was September 2005. Nemone joined Radio 1 in 2000, covering Jo Whiley when she was off and having her own weekend show. In 2004 she replaced Scott Mills on early breakfast, as he was moved to drivetime to replace Sara Cox. She later went on to join 6 Music and left there in 2021.

The final show was favourite picks, songs, memories. And another time Spice Girls 'Goodbye' was used, Scott also played it for Chappers final show (above).

Dave Pearce (Dance Anthems) 2008-09-26

Dave had his radio roots laid back in the 1980's but joined Radio 1 in 1995. He as many others, started on early breakfast taking over from Bruno Brookes. He also had late drive (6-8pm) for a spell from 1998 until 2004, which also included the legendary 'mix at 6'. Dave was also the first ever voice on Radio 1 as the year 2000 rolled around, hosting a special millenium essential mix alongside Judge Jules from Glasgow.

Dance Anthems is where Dave Pearce really made his mark on Radio 1, he was the original innovator. The show started in 1997 and was broadcast on Sunday nights from 7pm-9pm. Later moved in 2007 for it's final year to Friday nights 11pm-1am. Dave and other DJ's such as Pete Tong and Judge Jules were really at the forefront of the trance music boom, that engulfed dance music over the late 90's and early millenium. Dance anthems was a hard show to convince Radio 1 bosses to take on, because they thought that people wouldn't want Dance Music on a Sunday at that time. But it became an institution, with shows also coming live from the likes of Ibiza and Magaluf.

Dave's final show included lots of classic dance anthems, a small montage of his Radio 1 years, and the final track being William Orbit - Adagio For Strings. Dave took Dance Anthems to 6 Music where it felt an irregular fit on a mostly indie station, so was short lived. He still plays out doing his trance anthems gigs, and can be heard on Radio 2 from time to time in recent years. Usually hosting New Years Eve/Day shows. A new look Dance Anthems returned to Radio 1 in 2012 with Danny Howard on Saturdays.

So there you have it, some final Radio 1 shows of interest. Feel free to add more below if you know of any.

on the grid.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:24 PM, DC said:

There could be many out there I've missed so feel free to add any, especially post 2012ish stuff which I'm not too up on really.

I might be able to help you with that, since I started listening in 2011 and decided saving shows later that year, mainly because I ran out of the 7 days limit on iplayer too often to listen to something I missed.

For example here's Scott's last drivetime show featuring an introduction by a listener, obsession over Call Me Maybe (wHhhHhoooOOOoo), a quite long best bits compilation, and the last ever Wonderyears and Ready For The Weekend.

Note: I've never used mixcloud before, so I'm sorry if the link breaks later if I messed up something. :) 

11 hours ago, AndyK77 said:

His opening link is amazing in view of everything that has come out about Tim Westwood or am I reading too much into it?

I heard him say that too. Haven't heard the show since I recorded it but listening back that perked my ears up. "I have some stories about Tim too..." You never know.

on the grid.

52 minutes ago, vorti said:

I might be able to help you with that, since I started listening in 2011 and decided saving shows later that year, mainly because I ran out of the 7 days limit on iplayer too often to listen to something I missed.

For example here's Scott's last drivetime show featuring an introduction by a listener, obsession over Call Me Maybe (wHhhHhoooOOOoo), a quite long best bits compilation, and the last ever Wonderyears and Ready For The Weekend.

Note: I've never used mixcloud before, so I'm sorry if the link breaks later if I messed up something. :) 

Shame that won't play. All you do to post a mixcloud show on here once it's uploaded, is just post the normal url from the address bar for it on here. The forum will automatically put on the mixcloud player for it.

Thats a good shout though. I drifted away from Radio 1 around that point so missed getting that. I remember the fuss about him moving to "a less desirable" time slot at the time. Thinking it was the start of Radio 1 pushing him out. He did another 10 years though, so not bad.

on the grid.

Going back to Scott coming off drive time  my take of it was at the time I think they wanted drive time to be slicker with more corporate features and that gave Scott and Chris who was announced full time an uninterrupted 3 hours show with work and student listeners who would be less likely to either on the go or in a car fiddling with stations 

5 hours ago, DC said:

Shame that won't play. All you do to post a mixcloud show on here once it's uploaded, is just post the normal url from the address bar for it on here. The forum will automatically put on the mixcloud player for it.

Weird, I tested it on multiple devices, and it played just fine even without logging in. Anyway, I looked into it, and a help article suggested to add the tracklist manually, otherwise it might get blocked for others, so I did that, so hopefully it works now.

The copy-paste embed worked, but here's the link itself just in case: https://www.mixcloud.com/vorticonguard/scott-mills-2012-03-30/

Sara Cox's final show from 2014 was recently put up on mixcloud. Really marked the beginning of the end of an era at Radio 1, with Fearne, Zane Lowe, etc. all leaving within about a year of each other. 

Not the best quality and no music, but still one I remember listening to fondly, at a time when I had all but stopped listening to Radio 1.

Also, ignoring the shamless plugging of one of my own uploads, Wes's final show in Jan 2005. Decent presenter thrown under the bus by BBC management in my opinion. Compare this to his first show and you can see how much he'd changed since his first show.

I really couldn't have cared less for JK & Joel when they joined, but again this was another show I remember listening to live in 2007 and thinking it was shame to see them go.

https://www.aircheckdownloads.com/uk-airchecks/radio-1/2000s/clive-warren-sept-30th-2000-237

Also, worthwhile noting the very much understated exit of Clive Warren in 2000. Made doubly sadder by the mention of the late Vicky Marsden taking over his timeslot.

A good DJ, Clive Warren, almost certainly overshadowed by the likes of Evans, Moyles & Radcliffe.

Couple more final shows I've come across:

Don't be decived, this isn't Reggie's departure, but instead, (whether intentionally or not) this recording does actually capture the final 5min of Jo Whiley's last show after 18 (!) years. As a kid I don't think it ever occured to me that Whiley had been there that long, I always assumed she'd been there maybe a decade tops.

Mark Goodier signing off after almost 15 years with Radio 1. I believe also one of the last Beerling era DJs, along side Mark Radcliffe. Having listened to an array of his shows from across his Radio 1 career, I personally feel Mark started to lose some his spark around 2001-ish and his departure, while very much the end of an era, did seem to be inevtible. 

Of course, if your going to talk about Mark, you might as well mention Bruno Brookes, on his final early breakfast outing after 11 years, having been sacked by Bannister.

And immediatly following him, 

A very relevant final show. Wonder how Steve will handle leaving a show he actually enjoyed?

There's a few unavailable final shows as well, that may well be floating out there in the ether on tape or disc, people like Kevin Greening, Steve Lamacq, Colin & Edith, Judge Jules etc, which I'd love to hear again one day as well.

• 2 months later...

I managed to record Dev's last show and Huw's last Radio 1 Introducing show but I never got round to uploading them and with the way Mixcloud is going that's going to be difficult to do. I also got Grimmy and Annie's last week of shows, same with Scott. Have a few of the last shows on 1Xtra and Asian Network.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/1/2022 at 8:53 PM, Brigham27 said:

There's a few unavailable final shows as well, that may well be floating out there in the ether on tape or disc, people like Kevin Greening, Steve Lamacq, Colin & Edith, Judge Jules etc, which I'd love to hear again one day as well.

A bit late to respond to this but I actually have Judge Jules' final Radio 1 show around somewhere. It was nothing too special tbh, a studio show where he played a tune from each year from the start of his time on Radio 1 till the end. It was 11pm till 1am on a Friday Night, a low key end to one of the biggest dance DJ's on the planet around 2000. I get the feeling Jules just didn't want the fuss though. I'll have to seek it out, but otherwise I'm sure it's on the Judge Jules archive website anyway. 

on the grid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good afternoon, I am also new here, and I have decided to share some more Final BBC Radio 1 shows that I stumbled upon 

This was Roger Scott's last show on BBC Radio 1 where he only joined the previous year after 15 years on Capital, he died of cancer on the 31st of October 1989 at the age of 46, so a very poignant final programme

Here is Tony Blackburn who launched Radio 1 back in 1967 is hosting his final show there in 1984, he is of course still on the air on BBC Radio 2

During his time on BBC Radio 1 Peter Powell was an early champion of many successful 1980s acts like Spandau Ballet, Culture Club and Duran Duran, he was also associated with the Radio 1 Roadshow and hosted the Radio 1 Weekend Breakfast Show, he is now retired from broadcasting

This is Simon Bates last show on Radio 1 broadcasted live from New York's Carnegie Deli

From that very same day, here are large chunks of Bob Harris' last Radio 1 show

Finally something more recent, here is Judge Jules' last Radio 1 show after 15 years on the station

That's it and I hope you enjoy them!