Unofficial Mills

Radio 1 Webchat - July 2001

Jono

<P><B>Here Scott answered some questions for a webchat for the BBC on the 26th of July 2001.</b>

<b>How did you get you first get into radio?</b>

When I was sixteen I worked at a radio station called Power FM. That was about 1990 and I was doing overnights. Then I worked in Bristol, Manchester and London before I started at Radio 1. I just got a lucky break. I actually tried to get into my local hospital radio, but I was told I was too young. I never thought about doing a real job! I told my careers officer that I wanted to be a radio presenter and they laughed at me. I was asked to go to a school reunion and I said no. They told me I could be a carpenter instead, but I was focused on being a radio presenter.

<b>Which Radio 1 DJ's did you admire where you first started out on Radio 1?</b>

I think I admired Annie Nightingale. Her programme was on after the top 40 and it was a programme for students, and it was great. Simon Mayo at the time as well.

<b>Scott, so you are used to doing late night shows then, what would be your ideal time slot on Radio 1?</b>

Something where you don't have to get up too early, and you don't go on too late. Anything in the afternoon or early afternoon would be good. Anything that doesn't interfere with a social life. I haven't had a social life for two and a half years! You have to be very specific when you sleep, eat and go out. It's difficult to manage your time. You end up getting three or four hours at once and if you get used to that it's ok. I try to go to bed around 23:00 and get four hours, and then try and get some sleep on the afternoon. You don't keep in touch with many people working at that time of day. There are times when I don't phone friends for a month - it's nothing personal!

<b>What do you think makes a good radio show?</b>

Something that plays music you can relate to, that you're passionate about and a presenter that's actually talking to you. There are still some presenters that still don't talk to you, they talk at you. I think Radio 1 across the board are good and the presenters do talk to you as people. You then feel part of that world. Generally, in commercial radio, you're not allowed a personality, and when I came to Radio 1 I was told I could talk about my own life if I wanted to. It's a bit strange when someone gives you a blank piece of paper. Good though. It's ultimate freedom that you don't get anywhere else.

<b>Have you always wanted to work for Radio 1? I used to sneak a walkman into school school to listen to Radio 1</b>

Really? I haven't, not in school. I did used to listen to it a lot at home, in bed, under the covers. I always aspired to Radio 1 from when I was young - Radio 1 was on where I lived.

<b>How was it standing in for Sara Cox and Zoe Ball during Breakfast? Would you ever like to do the job full time?</b>

I get asked this question every time. The answer would have been different if you had asked me a year ago. I would've said it was lovely to do it, but it's different when you're doing it all the time and it's a lot of pressure. If they asked me to do it now, I'd probably say yes, but it would've been a different answer a year ago. I was really nervous the first time I did it, as it was my fourth day at Radio 1. It was good cos chucking you in at the deep end gives you the opportunity to shine.

<b>What's the best and worst bits of working at Radio 1?</b>

The best parts are lots of things. The people are really nice, the music we play is such a radical change from anywhere else you can be, you can actually have an input, the live events you get to do. Nobody else can do that type of thing. When you go to a One Big Sunday, the first one we ever did, and we got 80,000 people in the crowd and me and Emma B were peaking at the crowd through the curtain at the amount of people there. I don't think i'll forget that. The worst moments are generally oversleeping and feeling bad some days. There are days you can feel absolute crap due to the sheer nature of the hours.

<b>Do you get to play songs that you have chosen, or do you stick to the playlist?</b>

Radio 1's different to anywhere else as it's quite a democratic choice of music. Your producer will go to the playlist meeting and if I want to champion a record, they will put it forward there. We do have an A, B and a C list which you have to play, but you do actually feel you can put your own input into it.

<b>What was your favourite song from today's show?</b>

'Hey Boy, Hey Girl' by the Chemical Brothers which we played this morning. Also 'Starlight' our record of the week - it's going to be huge!

<b>Given that it was always radio that you wanted to get in to, how did you make the cross over into television?</b>

Radio is still what I want to do the most. TV can be really boring as it's a lot of hanging around. It's not immediate whereas radio is. It can take six or seven hours to record a 25 minute programme on TV and it sometimes feels a bit staged. I still enjoy the spontaneity of radio. TV is good though and I do it because they asked me to, and I do enjoy it. I don't think I could do it full time. Radio is my thing.

<b>What do you think of the Mercury Music nominees?</b>

I'm surprised about Craig David. Whatever you think of Craig David, you can't knock what he's done for British R&B. After being snubbed at the Brits he maybe should have had some luck for this.

<b>Who are your favourite artists / groups?</b>

You can't ask a DJ that question. If I told you that, we'd spend the rest of the chat talking about it. There's so many artists I like equally, I couldn't even begin to tell you. That is too hard to answer. Most DJ's can't answer that question either. When I was really really young, I was subjected to lots of really crap pop music like Bucks Fizz by my parents so I rebelled against that and went through a rock phase. Then I went top 40 for a while when I was about 14, 15, 16 and then I got into the early 90's Happy Mondays stuff, and then into Dance music. Dance music is probably my favourite genre of music.

<b>You always wear good clothes - where did you get them from and are you a victim of fashion?</b>

I'm not a victim of fashion at all. I just buy high street stuff and hopefully it looks alright. I don't think that spending £800 in Versace makes you look any better. I think less people buy designer stuff now, like having designer names on your shirt. I actually hate my clothes most of the time. That's cool that somebody has said that.

<b>What's the best celebrity bash that you have been to?</b>

The party for Ash's album was good because it was weird. They hired this great big place in North London. The theme was heaven and hell. I remember seeing Polar Bears and and people dressed as tarts walking around serving drinks. It was superb. I actually saw Ash last week and I said thanks for a great party. The worst one was the Spice Girls, the 'Forever' album party was terrible. There was no atmosphere and it wasn't very good.

<b>Any chance of bringing back 'Lost in Showbiz'?</b>

Probably not. I'm trying to develop this TV idea at the moment which may encompass 'Lost in showbiz'. If you've got any suggestions on how we could update it or make it cool, then let us know. I did really enjoy it and I've got a lot of response to it. If I brought it back it would have to be in some way different, but i'm open to ideas.

<b>Which artist have you met that you personally had most in common with?</b>

I haven't got anything in common with any pop stars. They're all bonkers! I don't think i've met anyone for long enough to say that. You meet them for 10 minutes or so, so you say hi, how are you, try and be their friend for 10 minutes, then they're off to the next interview. I class myself as a normal bloke, and people at that level tend to have their lives taken away from them, so once fame starts to happen, there's places you can't go to, and things you can't do and things like that. There's loads of people i've enjoyed interviewing like SisQo and Ash because they're nice people. Wyclef is funny to interview. I like people that are good value and don't answer the same every time. Some people have been so trained that they seem clinically dead and they just re-use their answers. They have nothing to say. It happens a lot to American manufactured people. You can't get anything different out of them. As an interviewer, you really want them to say something different.

<b>Why is it that Radio DJ's faces never fit their face? You don't look like you sound. Why do you think that is?</b>

I don't know if that's a compliment or not. The first thing that anyone says to you is that you don't look like you sound, but what does a sound look like? For people who haven't seen me at Radio 1, you would be surprised. You always build up a mental picture of what they're going to look like and when you actually see them you're normally wrong.

<b>Are you scared of becoming too famous?</b>

Yes. I'm a bit scared of being famous generally. Just stupid things like you could be on edge if you're out for a drink, or something which is stupid. I forget sometimes, and then somebody comes up and asks you for an autograph which is weird. If you can keep a handle on it and it's manageable it's cool, but there are some down sides to being famous that you don't see. To be really famous is actually quite hard I think.

<B>Why do you get so embarrassed when people compliment you?</b>

Because I'm actually quite shy really. Especially on TV I do that. I've got a really weird thing about that. It's like when someone asks you for an autograph. When you're not used to it or it's all still new to you, the idea that somebody would want to think of you like that is kind of alien. I feel flattered and worried at the same time when you're tipped to be the next big thing. You can't actually worry about it though as you'd go mad otherwise and just enjoy it. If it happens, brilliant, but if it doesn't, it won't shatter my life either. I think i've got a good handle on it.

<b>What's the worst chat up line you heard when you ran the slimebusters competition? And have you got any recommendations for chat up lines?</b>

I think the worst one was this guy on the answer-phone singing really bad ballads down the phone to this girl. He kept on phoning up and we had about 16 messages from this guy singing lines from songs. I want to bring that feature back at some point - alot of people were handing the number out. It did work a treat, I have to say. I don't do chat up lines though. I think they're rubbish.

<b>How did you feel about the media reaction when you came out?</b>

I though it was all really positive. That's another thing I was quite scared of, but I think the Guardian article was really good, and the Attitude thing was great, but i'm really glad they did it. I put in the interview about hoping Radio1 listeners wouldn't have a problem with this, and I was right. I had about 300 e-mails about it and none of them were negative. Loads of different people were e-mailing and it was quite pleasing that happened. I had expected a negative response, but that didn't happen.

<b>As a gay man have you encountered much prejudice in your career?</b>

No, not at all. I've been really lucky and in a way protected from it as there are a lot of gay people in the media and as I've been working in the media since I was sixteen, it wasn't an issue. I'm pleased that I work in an industry that is like that. It's a gay friendly environment so it was never going to be like that.

<b>Do you and Moyles get on? You both take the mickey out of each other, but do you mean it? It sounds quite nasty sometimes!</b>

It's not nasty at all. It is fun. People think that we wouldn't talk to each other if we saw each other in the pub tonight, but the reality is that he'll walk in and we'll say alright, and that's it. It's not personal. It's not an act either, it's just a laugh. I think anyone who takes Chris Moyles seriously is wrong. He's a good bloke and if he thought that personally you have a real problem with what he said, he'd be mortified.

<b>What do you do in your spare time?</b>

I go and see friends. I have alot of friends in Birmingham and Cardiff so I try and get out of London. I've been going to see a lot of dance events like Gatecrasher. I have to have an occasional weekend when I do nothing at all. I felt no benefit whatsoever though, so I won't do that again!

<b>What's your favourite film and why?</b>

At the moment, my favourite film is 'Traffic'. I've just got it on DVD and it's rather cool. Favourite film of all time, I'll come back to you on that.

<b>Which BB housemate did you want to win?</b>

I didn't care about Big Brother last time, but this time I did care. I was hooked on it. I couldn't imagine the idea of Dean or Elizabeth winning. I had a problem with Helen for the first few weeks, but then I thought she was funny and harmless. It had to be Brian though! He had the personality to see it through. As lovely as Helen was, I think some people thought she was too stupid to win.

<b>If you could invite four people to dinner who are famous, who would it be and why?</b>

People i'm just interested in and why they do what they do and stuff. A clash of personalities, so i'd have Thom Yorke from Radiohead, Geri Halliwell, Helen from Big Brother and Adolf Hitler. That was just off the top of my head, i'm sure I could think of better ones. Radiohead because of the music, Geri I don't understand at all, Hitler I want to know what drives somebody to do that. And Helen is obvious.

<b>What three words would you use to describe yourself?</b>

Illusive, Caring, Scattered.

<b>If you were stuck on a desert island with Elizabeth from BB and Ruby Wax, and you were forced to turn into cannibalism to survive who would you eat first?</b>

Ruby is more meaty, so if you wanted a more juicy steak i'd go for her. If you wanted to take your anger out on Elizabeth, I'd eat her. Scrap that - I'd eat Elizabeth first.

<b>What's on your CD player right now?</b>

The new Super Furry Animals album. It's alright. Gorillaz as well. Gorillaz wasn't as good as I though it was going to be in my opinion. The remixes are good. I'd like to see them on tour again in September though. Roger Sanchez new album too.

<b>Mark and Lard have just said you're good on plumbing enquiries, so I've got some nasty blackflow into my washing machine - any ideas?</b>

Just twist your ballcock! See, I do know what i'm talking about. I knew Mark and Lard would have a little talk about this on air!

<b>What do you think of Mark and Lard</b>

I think they're hilarious! They're kind of my breakfast show as well, as that's normally the time I get in. It's comedy that nobody else should attempt because it's just clever and I admire them immensely.

<b>Have you ever gone massively wrong whilst on air and said something you later regretted?</b>

Yeah. I can't really tell you the exact story but I made an unwise comment on the Breakfast Show about a court case still pending, which was wrong as we're not allowed to comment on things like that. I do tend to go on rants about people and realise I shouldn't have said half of the things I did. Especially on Early Breakfast as when I'm tired I just start ranting and find it difficult to stop. Especially if it's something unpleasant about someone as I'm a nice person really. It's all fun really, it's the media. Celebrities are there to be laughed at!

<b>Have you ever sworn on the air in amazing Coxy style?</b>

No. I have had people thinking that I swore. I said **** and I had millions of complaints saying I didn't say that at all. For the record, I did say that. I think people are listening out for it.

<b>What were you like when you were young?</b>

Shy, fat, quite.... dull!

<b>What did you feel like when you became the youngest ever radio presenter?</b>

I knew. It's like when you do stuff, you just think great, i'm the youngest radio presenter. Normally you don't realise your achievements are so good at the time. One of the things i'm most proud of was getting on Radio 1, which I never thought would happen. You've always got to realise that you're not going to be here forever. Also, presenting Top of the Pops for the first time as it was the first thing I ever did for TV.

<b>If you could star in The Simpsons, which character would you play, and why?</b>

I think I would be Homer because he gets all the best lines.

<b>Which do you prefer, milk or plain chocolate hob nobs?</b>

Milk. Great question! Because they're the best obviously. Plain are inferior.

<b>Any advice for budding young presenters?</b>

When I meet students that want to be on Radio, they want to play the exact music they like, their exact way of presenting, and they've got complete tunnel vision. Sometimes to get into the business, you are sometimes going to have to do some things that you don't want to do. I hate it, but that's the way it is. I had to do it. Don't be too arrogant about it on the way there, you will get there. I've seen loads of young presenters I know being to antagonistic and they're now out of work, and they had a really promising career. At the end of the day, it;s a job, you've got a boss, you can't do just what you want to do all the time.

<b>If I was trying to get you drunk, what's your poison?</b>

Vodka is evil to me and because I get really tired when I go out drinking, White Wine I must say no at all times. Nothing gets me drunk like White Wine does. I don't actually like being horribly drunk.

<b>What do you think you will be doing in twenty years time?</b>

Probably playing the Manic Street Preachers on Radio 2! I don't know, i'd quite like to have my own production company at some point. You have to realise you're going to grow out of touch with the target audience in the end. If they rate you, you can stay at the BBC for a very long time. There are other avenues you can peruse which is good. At the moment though, the thought of going back to commercial stations, after this, is wierd. I would do it, but I think i'd rather do something else, maybe even go abroad.

<B>What do you think about the BBC no longer supplying biscuits?</b>

I think it's an absolute travesty! Every morning at 4am I would tuck into my complimentary digestives, or maybe Rich Tea, and I have actually complained to Mr. Dyke about taking them away from us. I think it's really funny. Papers and press always pick up on such bizarre BBC stories. I've actually never had a free BBC biscuit. I read things like that and I have no idea about it.</p>