Unofficial Mills

Are they cloning Laura?

Jono

I fear they're trying to make a clone of Laura with Wacky Becky. And I'm not sure that's the route they should be going down. The whole laughing in the background and immature jokes.

For the average listener they might just forget Laura, but for the rest of us it makes it cringey to think they've just replaced her in that way.

The show needs a female character but she needs to differ from the last one.

I fear they're trying to make a clone of Laura with Wacky Becky. And I'm not sure that's the route they should be going down. The whole laughing in the background and immature jokes.

For the average listener they might just forget Laura, but for the rest of us it makes it cringey to think they've just replaced her in that way.

I don't think they are.

When you say "involved on air" - what do you mean? Becky's not even said anything!! She does the same job as Laura did. She's in the studio. They can hardly say "don't laugh" to her!

There is no "new character" as far as I can see? She may be mentioned by Scott but that's it. Even if she was to play a more on air role on the show, I can't see it being done in the same way as Laura.

Immature jokes - isn't that the show? Not Becky?

Nobody's going to be so stupid as to try to "make a clone of Laura". Surely.

I don't think they are.

When you say "involved on air" - what do you mean? Becky's not even said anything!! She does the same job as Laura did. She's in the studio. They can hardly say "don't laugh" to her!

Maybe so. But Pippa was Laura's assistant when TOTDS was away and she was only mentioned once when she was getting married. She had the same job, but she didn't instantly appear in videos and jokes.

The fact she's already become 'Wacky Becky' on-air and in online content after a week means that the show have begun to consider her an important character. It just seems very quick.

I certainly don't think she should be told to be kept stum though. Laughter is important in terms of knowing when something is happening in the studio that we're not hearing about and to know when there's a joke that has gone over our heads.

Nobody's going to be so stupid as to try to "make a clone of Laura". Surely.

That's what I hope. I can understand she has the same job title as Laura and this will mean there'll be some similarities, and that she hasn't spoken on-air, but the show is currently portraying her as a bit of a clone. She will have her unique selling points, and that's what I want to hear about. They didn't replace Jules off of the sport on Chris' show with someone who was exactly the same did they?

On another note I have four hours of a recording of GMTV because someone decided to check the lottery results this morning. Woop-de-doo.

But Pippa was Laura's assistant when TOTDS was away and she was only mentioned once when she was getting married.

Yes, but Pippa was only a temporary replacement. The "Wacky Becky" name is only a continuation of a suggestion about what to call their rubbish paranormal TV show. I hardly see it sticking.

And I just can't see how she's being portrayed as a clone. She's hardly done anything on air apart from hide behind a chair and say "boo" to Scott!

Laura's not dead. Nor was she Scott's wife or girlfriend. So all this "it's too soon" for anyone to do her job on the show is just a bit baffling.

Let's just all wait and see, eh?

i don't think a lot of people even know laura has gone yet judging by the comments on facebook :| from what the one that doesn't speak said he didn't think there should be names and too many voices. it seems a little odd becky has come along and has been introduced on air already and yet the one that doesn't speak had been there a while before he got much of a mention!

Continuing from what popbitcher says, I'd say there must be some intention to make her a character on the show as she is being referred by the name as opposed to "one of the ones that doesn't speak".

I've no problem with that but to the common listener they are still unaware that Laura has gone anywhere.

You're not telling me with captions online saying "Wacky Becky" and Chappers and Scott referring to her as that if she's going to be someone that doesn't speak.

Neil was an assistant a few years ago. He was never referred as Neil on the show in all of the time on his show. It just seems strange she's already gained a name on the programme.

If they're going to make her an on-air asset (which I am deducting is the case from this) surely she should have a slightly different selling point from the last female on the show?

I sound like a moaning miserable old fart - I just like to speculate as to where things might be going - it doesn't mean I have anything against Becky!

I just find it amusing that we're speculating about someone who works on the show who hasn't even said a word! Speculating about her character and whether she is different enough to Laura when she hasn't even uttered a word!

Maybe they will make her more of a character. Maybe they won't. Many people are referred to on radio shows who aren't big characters on the show.

I think TOTDS was saying how characters on shows need to be well defined if they are to be a major part of the show.

Sorry to repeat myself but Becky hasn't even said a single word!

Maybe we should lay off all this speculation until she makes her first utterance.

No pressure, Becky!!

Sorry to repeat myself but Becky hasn't even said a single word!

Maybe we should lay off all this speculation until she makes her first utterance.

No pressure, Becky!!

If you want me to be pernicity, I think you'll find she has already spoken. She said "if you want" on today's show when Scott mentioned going out with her somewhere tonight or tomorrow night.

If you want me to be pernicity, I think you'll find she has already spoken. She said "if you want" on today's show when Scott mentioned going out with her somewhere tonight or tomorrow night.

Sorry to be pernickety, but that's how it's spelt. Alternatively 'persnickety'. ;)

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I'm going to reserve judgement before commenting on Becky. Give it a bit of time first I think. It seems we're all agreed on the fact that Laura is irreplaceable, but that shouldn't have any reflection on Becky.:)

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Hey give the girl a chance, its not easy walking into someone else old job and I think in the short time she has been on show she has been great. She will bring her own style, influence and input on the show. Although its only natural its not right to compare her to Laura she is a different person. Things move on and can't stay the same forever lets give the girl a chance. Go Beccy !!