Unofficial Mills

Why don't voiceovers trail ahead?

Jono

I notice 6Music have voiceovers that talk through the schedule each day.

At the start of Nemone they have "Coming up now... Nemone. At 4pm it's Gary Crowley in for Steve Lamacq and at 7pm it's Marc Riley. At 10pm... Gideon Coe".

Surely this would be much easier than the presenters constantly talking through the schedule?

Yeah they do this for INMWT. They used to do the 'missed any of Scott Mills? Listen again...' after the last news in a show. Maybe they could do a schedule trail at this time. It makes it difficult though when there are schedule mix ups.

Yeah they do this for INMWT. They used to do the 'missed any of Scott Mills? Listen again...' after the last news in a show. Maybe they could do a schedule trail at this time. It makes it difficult though when there are schedule mix ups.

I don't know. There's only one cover for Scott and Jo Whiley these days so it wouldn't need much effort most weekdays. Evenings and weekends may be a bit different.

Guest inxces4308

I can think of a few reasons:

*When alot of people hear music or station voices they may turn the radio station down because the presenter isn't speaking. Therefore they would miss it. If the presenter says it, they will hear it.

*If something unexpected happens and a show cant go out (eg. edith is ill) then the voiceover would be incorrect and probably not used, therefore the presenter would have to say it anyway.

*Its more expensive sometimes to get your voiceovers to constantly voice more material. Most will be on retainers but still....

*Presenters saying it makes it more 'listener-freindly' mainly beause of the tone of their voice. Unless your Jo W.

*When alot of people hear music or station voices they may turn the radio station down because the presenter isn't speaking.

We're used to hearing voiceovers at the top of the hour anyway, don't see why this would make a change.

*If something unexpected happens and a show cant go out (eg. edith is ill) then the voiceover would be incorrect and probably not used, therefore the presenter would have to say it anyway.

You make it sound like presenters are ill more than they are there.

Guest inxces4308
We're used to hearing voiceovers at the top of the hour anyway, don't see why this would make a change.

Yes, we hear voiceovers all over the place, mainly because its ofcom rules that the station must brand itself every 10 mins or less, this can be done via presenters too. And, it blends some of the songs together alot better.

When there is 3 in a row, i turn the station down. I dont tend to listen that intently when there is nobody talking.

You make it sound like presenters are ill more than they are there.

Zane. No more needs to be said.

AND, one final point. They dont have the voiceovers say it because its the whole point of a trailer/promo. E.g, the chris moyles show - tomorrow from 6. Scott mills - this afternoon from 4.