Unofficial Mills
  1. Helen.a12

Helen.a12

• Matt sits in for Greg on Monday 22nd April.
    • Lovely to see Adele hyping up Sam and Danni in Cardiff today on Instagram. 
    • Arielle is in Dubai and Ibiza - I think she has pre-recorded her new show this week (at least that’s what it looked like from her Insta stories on Thursday) I think if Katie is off it will mostly likely be Matt - he’s the only other one who has presented with Jamie before 
    • I feel like it'd be more likely to be an early breakfast presenter than someone like james if they went down this route. Perhaps it might complicate matters (but I do completely agree with everyone saying it'd be better) and they're just waiting for July to come round and for it to be over. I believe you said it on digital spy @coffeeandgin that James is long overdue and deserves a slot on the station and I still think he was kept back from a temp show because of the weekend announcement yet to come and his global contract is a hold up. Of all the decisions recently, I think that'd be a decision that would be universally welcomed.
    • Yes they normally do this on Breakfast - sometimes Greg failed to opt in then there will be a separate one after a song.
    • Danny beard might be available. They might just tell Jamie not to come in and give it to Sam and Danni instead tbf. Arielle’s off Early Breakfast all week but is doing her new show on Thursday so she may be about as well.
    • Didn't someone say that Lauren is covering with Katie soon so she could potentially do it with Jamie. Or yes Matt with Jamie is an option they've used before
    • Katie’s posted on Insta how she’s poorly at the mo (bad cold by the sounds of things). Vick is off all next week and no way could Jamie possibly present solo (imagine!). So if Katie can’t present on Monday be interesting to hear what they do. Suspect they’ll be asking Matt Edmondson if he’s available, but not too many obvious options at all. 
    • I think tracks like the NewEra Birds in the Sky one sort of highlight my issue with the Radio 1 playlist perfectly. Surely as a new music station it's the sort of song Radio 1 should be championing - a new Irish DJ duo with a song that is exploding in popularity and is right on brand with Radio 1 and has now reached the Top 20. Ticks all the boxes and has got a fair bit of play on shows Dance Party or Party Anthems. Yet months after its release it's only now reaching the C-List and making its way to daytime and with it being on the C-List will only probably be played a handful of times across the week. Whereas artists like Royal Blood say seem to get an open pass to the playlist.
    • Posted this over on DS but while I'm sure there are probably reasons behind this it's weird optics how easily Radio 1 were able to cut time off Newsbeat this week purely it seems for a petty tit-for-tat gesture at Capital's new show but then weren't prepared to show any level of flexibility with reducing Newsbeat’s length a few weeks back when Mollie was supposed to finish their Comic Relief challenge for the day at around 5.45pm (with the DJs all but asking to delay Newsbeat). I guess the issue with the 5.45pm Newsbeat is that it also airs on 1Xtra and Asian Network but surely you could still air those as normal on those two stations and then do a separate Radio 1 edition later. They've certainly done that before with the half past the hour bulletins.
    • I was really impressed by the Capital Breakfast show. Had been finding Greg a bit stale - he's a great DJ but there's only so long you can listen to the same features and same sort of topics Where Capital's show had that familiar feel with Jordan & Chris being ex Radio 1 plus Sian Welby is great. It felt a light, fun and pacy show which I sort of feel Radio 1 has lost recently but used to have say when it was Scott & Chris, Katie, Jordan & Vick and Matt & Mollie Even the music choices are more to my liking so far. which has surprised me given its reputation of the same 5 songs all day. And it’s not as if you’re not getting Tate McRae, Dua Lipa and Beyonce on every show on Radio 1 anyway. Radio 1's playlist is really not vibing with me at the minute - some shows like Party Anthems or Future Pop have some great new stuff that should make the playlist but too often doesn't or if in the off chance they do it's just on the C-List and heard once in a blue moon.  Whereas Capital actually surprisingly seemed to have got some of that on their playlist already like the new tunes by Becky Hill,Paul Russell and 5SOS.
    • And a lot of Radio 1 features or interviews are pre-planned and pre-recorded which they don't exactly advertise - things like Something Songs and Complete the Year and previously on Scott's show The Who Game for example. The giveaway is normally no mention of texts or the song just played if it's a non-song based feature. There's always a bit of smoke and mirrors in entertainment. Also while it seemed obvious to me the Greggs partnership was pre-planned (the Greggs CEO seemed almost prepared for supposedly an off-the-cuff call) it didn't grate on me hugely. Whereas sometimes with Radio 1 want something to happen or to particularly push an artist or TV show/film they can be just as stubborn and forceful as any product placement. See for example how Saltburn was near constantly mentioned for a while.
    • It does feel like since it was announced that Dean & Vicky will no longer be a pairing with the schedule changes like it's very often Dean or Vicky that's on with the other away as if both have sort of given up on the pairing. Combine that with that Going Home continuing to be a show where you can quite guess what combination will be in and it feels rare that the schedule is actually what it should be.
    • Was going to say if you want to save some face too have maybe a co-host join Danny - that at least to some extent would spare their blushes a bit and you have somebody to deal with the technical stuff (not talking over jingles, Whatsapp number). I guess the constraint is if the show comes from Salford and ideally you wouldn't want Vicky and Nat starting their new slot early. But then again there's Ore and James Cusack you could use alongside Danny if they're available. James always seems to be overlooked though when new positions come up under Aled.