Unofficial Mills
  1. J_B

J_B

2. TheSaviourisHere

TheSaviourisHere

• Greg is doing Breakfast from 7am-11am on 23rd May which is a thirty minute extension of his usual Friday show and consistent with Big Weekend timings. Also it looks like from the 1st June, Radio 1 Chillout Anthems at 4am is being replaced by Radio 1 Anthems with Maia Beth and will also air at the same time on a Sunday.
    • I mean I've been growing our engagement on Facebook in my department, there's still an untapped audience there. Also, as you alude to, the number of community groups has grown a lot since lockdown. I'd love to hear more about their thinking. If this had been Radio 1's strategy I don't think anyone would have disagreed.
    • I think they must’ve been slowly killing of their social media presence I know for Radio 2 and 6 they do have dedicated unofficial social media groups so there is an audience. All Request Friday and features like that has a place on social media as can get requests via comment sections but I think Facebook struggles to know what it is these days.
    • I just think it's more about what they're doing. If all you've got is a DJ dancing to Beyonce's latest hit for thirty seconds or Sara Cox reading out the All Request Friday number in a funny way it's not really what Facebook prioritises. I think it's great that studio interaction, but it does lend itself to Instagram and TikTok more. But I honestly believe there is a place for Facebook with the Radio 2 audience. The trouble is Radio 2 have barely used Facebook for the last year so there doesn't seem to have been a strategy there.
    • Agree, all I'd see on x was medical professionals from other health trusts having a very carefully worded pop at each other, mixed in with a clip of jeremy vine with a camera on his helmet, a very strange place indeed! I imagine they have some data to back it up, but is the r2 audience really using tiktok? 
    • I get not putting resources into X which these days is a strange mix of angry political debate and adult content only. But you'd think Facebook was still the most popular social channel amongst Radio 2 audiences.
    • Radio 2 seem to have decided that their strategy is just short video, so it does probably make sense with Instagram and TikTok. But I find it hard to believe there's not longer form content that wouldn't suit Facebook better.
    • These late announcements are so lacklustre. It's not quite like the time they announced Harry Styles last minute!
    • Friday - Nathan Dawe, Wilkinson Saturday - Jax Jones Sunday - London Grammar, Remi Woolf, AJ Tracey
    • Probably got fed up of the usual moaning bastards all over it, asking for Ken Bruce and Jimmy Young back on air. 
    • Think it may have been better to include Radio 1 in this and 1 xtra ultimately focus on boosting a BBC Sounds social media to bring the multi-generational content marketed to a broader audience through one singular channel and having a separate social brand skewed to younger audiences maybe they should consider just having a @BBC @BBCSounds  @BBCSport @BBCNews @BBCFresh (youth brand) social media acounts national. 
    • Although a lot of their target audience do seem to be moving across to Instagram now.
    • I suppose it's because not a lot of people use Twitter (or X) so maybe it's not worth their time, surprised about Facebook though.
    • Surprised to learn Radio 2 and 6 Music are moving away from X and Facebook, I would have thought there's more appeal in Radio 1 doing that instead. Their target audiences still use Facebook, and it's still a key way to reach a good mix of audiences. Agree about X though, don't see any need for it. https://radiotoday.co.uk/2024/05/bbc-radio-2-and-6-music-quit-facebook-and-x-publishing/
    • Just wondering…has any DJ got the answer wrong yet? I’ve not heard one and they are pretty tough questions! 😆