Unofficial Mills
  1. vorti

vorti

• I mean I've been growing our engagement on Facebook in my department, there's still an untapped audience there. Also, as you alude to, the number of community groups has grown a lot since lockdown. I'd love to hear more about their thinking. If this had been Radio 1's strategy I don't think anyone would have disagreed.
    • I think they must’ve been slowly killing of their social media presence I know for Radio 2 and 6 they do have dedicated unofficial social media groups so there is an audience. All Request Friday and features like that has a place on social media as can get requests via comment sections but I think Facebook struggles to know what it is these days.
    • I just think it's more about what they're doing. If all you've got is a DJ dancing to Beyonce's latest hit for thirty seconds or Sara Cox reading out the All Request Friday number in a funny way it's not really what Facebook prioritises. I think it's great that studio interaction, but it does lend itself to Instagram and TikTok more. But I honestly believe there is a place for Facebook with the Radio 2 audience. The trouble is Radio 2 have barely used Facebook for the last year so there doesn't seem to have been a strategy there.
    • Agree, all I'd see on x was medical professionals from other health trusts having a very carefully worded pop at each other, mixed in with a clip of jeremy vine with a camera on his helmet, a very strange place indeed! I imagine they have some data to back it up, but is the r2 audience really using tiktok? 
    • I get not putting resources into X which these days is a strange mix of angry political debate and adult content only. But you'd think Facebook was still the most popular social channel amongst Radio 2 audiences.
    • Radio 2 seem to have decided that their strategy is just short video, so it does probably make sense with Instagram and TikTok. But I find it hard to believe there's not longer form content that wouldn't suit Facebook better.
    • These late announcements are so lacklustre. It's not quite like the time they announced Harry Styles last minute!
    • Friday - Nathan Dawe, Wilkinson Saturday - Jax Jones Sunday - London Grammar, Remi Woolf, AJ Tracey
    • Probably got fed up of the usual moaning bastards all over it, asking for Ken Bruce and Jimmy Young back on air. 
    • Think it may have been better to include Radio 1 in this and 1 xtra ultimately focus on boosting a BBC Sounds social media to bring the multi-generational content marketed to a broader audience through one singular channel and having a separate social brand skewed to younger audiences maybe they should consider just having a @BBC @BBCSounds  @BBCSport @BBCNews @BBCFresh (youth brand) social media acounts national. 
    • Although a lot of their target audience do seem to be moving across to Instagram now.
    • I suppose it's because not a lot of people use Twitter (or X) so maybe it's not worth their time, surprised about Facebook though.
    • Surprised to learn Radio 2 and 6 Music are moving away from X and Facebook, I would have thought there's more appeal in Radio 1 doing that instead. Their target audiences still use Facebook, and it's still a key way to reach a good mix of audiences. Agree about X though, don't see any need for it. https://radiotoday.co.uk/2024/05/bbc-radio-2-and-6-music-quit-facebook-and-x-publishing/
    • Just wondering…has any DJ got the answer wrong yet? I’ve not heard one and they are pretty tough questions! 😆
    • On the weekends theme @Bluestraw said this in the chatbox but I was listening live to James cusack's show yesterday and agree it would be a travesty if he doesn't feature in the weekend plans. Both the greg james fb page and users on digital spy are saying similar. Imagine that, being both part of the LGBTQ+ community but able to appreciate good presenters in 2024.