Unofficial Mills

Aled's back in Stoke! (& a big THANKS!)

Lucie

He's gone and got his face on a double page spread in our local paper!

Even though giving awards to kids in Stoke doesn't sound particularly glamorous, I want to say a massive THANK YOU! to Aled for doing it. Nothing really ever happens around here because of our reputation, but Aled doing things like this really makes me smile. Since The Chris Moyles Show were kind enough to do a Karaoke Night here, the show seems to mention Stoke-on-Trent more too, and not usually in a negative light either!

Sorry to preach but it has to be said, Radio 1 events really does reach out to the whole country and help out in the long term. Thank you Aled and the R1 team! :)

Anyway, here's the link (there's a nice picture included too):

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/High-achievers-receive-awards-hard-work/article-2655838-detail/article.html

Radio One personality Aled Jones, who presents Sunday Surgery and produces the Chris Moyles Show, presented the awards for the category of academic excellence.

He told The Sentinel he was "very happy" to be presenting awards to people he felt he could identify with.

He said: "I was someone who at school did not do very well academically, but my achievements came from the extra-curricular activities I got involved with and through my work experience with the BBC I managed, with hard work and sheer determination, to get to where I wanted to be.

"It was not down to what I did in the classroom. But there are a lot of young people in Stoke-on-Trent who have aspirations and I hope that by recognising what they have done, they will realise that they can succeed."

Chris Butler received an award for academic excellence.

The Stoke-on-Trent College student who studied a BTEC in media, will be starting a degree in TV Production at university in Bournemouth today.

The 18-year-old entered a BBC competition last year and was one of the lucky winners in the editing category.

He said: "I was thrilled when I found out I had won a placement with the BBC in London editing programmes including The Culture Show.

"It was so exciting. I don't think my feet ever touched the ground.

"I'm honoured to receive an award. I studied hard to get my BTEC but I enjoyed it every step of the way."

He's gone and got his face on a double page spread in our local paper!

Even though giving awards to kids in Stoke doesn't sound particularly glamorous, I want to say a massive THANK YOU! to Aled for doing it. Nothing really ever happens around here because of our reputation, but Aled doing things like this really makes me smile. Since The Chris Moyles Show were kind enough to do a Karaoke Night here, the show seems to mention Stoke-on-Trent more too, and not usually in a negative light either!

Sorry to preach but it has to be said, Radio 1 events really does reach out to the whole country and help out in the long term. Thank you Aled and the R1 team! :)

That's beautifully written. Very genuine. Nice to see Aled involved in stuff like this. :)

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0