Unofficial Mills

iPad

E*F*4L

the new Apple iPad looks & sounds :D

apple-tablet-keynote_049.jpg

“iPad is powered by our own custom silicon. Our own chip. It’s called the A4, and it screams.†1GHz. 16, 32, or 64GB of flash storage. “It’s got the latest in wireless: 802.11n, WiFi, and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, accelerometer, compass, speaker, mic, dock connector. And it’s got battery. (10 hours)

it will start at $499 for the 16GB rising to $899 for the 64GB one a 3G enabled version is a bit more money.

* image & italic text courtesy of >>> http://live.gdgt.com/2010/01/27/live-apple-come-see-our-latest-creation-tablet-event-coverage/#10-31-28-am

what do people think :

i think it looks cool.

:)

To me, it's all looks, but the functionality is just gimmicky.. it's a hyped e-reader, with iPod. But, with all the E-reader apps available for the iPod Touch, I think it's just too similar to a jailbroken iPod Touch.

it is basically a Apple netbook, in the UK it will not be far off that Samsung netbook (the best netbook there is) in price & the ipad can do a lot more, if you want to do basic stuff then it will be fine, Apple's never seem to break down, maybe the second version will be a bit better with more memory i suppose it will be released 12 months after.

Yeah.. It's not too overcomplicated, but that's, as always, due to Apple's restrictons. Eugh. But, you're right, it will sell. It's new, it's something that looks good, and most people won't think twice thanks to the persuasivness of the demos and the looks.

However, not all Apple products are looks > functionality. For instance, the iMac is just incredible. I've used it in Apple stores and it's just like "Hello. I am the epic win," on a desk.

Were you following, Alan? Jobs actually said that he hated netbooks. So I don't think he'd like that comparison ;)

samozzy.png

yeah he has said many times that he doesn't like netbooks & when asked he said Apple cannot make a product cheaper than a macbook, because if it was any cheaper it wouldn't have the Apple quality etc, so they have done it slightly differently its a Apple netbook in all but name ;)

I have an iphone and from what I see its exactly the same only bigger, more expensive, more powerful, better graphics and ebooks. Have I missed anything?

Its disappointing and doesn't even have multitasking or push notifications. What a massive disappointment it is.

Looking forward to new iPhone 4.0 OS this year and the new iPhone in june.

SamMillsBish.png

Sort of, but much more revelutionary in my opinion... And anyone that knows me realises how much a don't like Apple kit.

I would agree with you there, and it's only generation 1, I'm surprised with the lack of camera though.

I wouldn't rate it until I get my hands on one, I couldn't personally see myself even thinking about getting one until a few generations time at the very least.

Re: the name.

I don't like it, iSlate would have been a much better choice in my opinion, although, in 2001 the name iPod was a weird choice and look where it is now.

I think it's a good price for the basic model ($499)

Their likely competitor is the Kindle DX which is Amazons e-reader which sells for around $429, they do have an app store on its way, but it will have nothing on the iPad, $70 extra isn't a lot for what you're getting.

Sure it's a glorified iPod touch, but this is only the start of something that could be revolutionary, and that's coming from someone who isn't a fan of Apple in the slightest.

It's going to be a record breaking item in terms of sales, Apple being Apple could sell a range of scented candles baring the Apple logo and make a fortune.

it is basically a Apple netbook.

I would say it's more along the lines of an iPod Touch than a netbook.

(it has the same OS as the iPod Touch too, as far as I'm aware)

Attunement.png

Someone made the point in The Guardian that it doesn't have a lid like a laptop or any way of protecting it, making sure the screen doesn't get damaged. It doesn't fit in your pocket. I guess they'll sell a plethora of bags and cases to keep the things dry. I'm not really convinced it's anything that amazing though, just seems to be an iPhone/BlackBerry/HTC smartphone in a slightly bigger size, without the phoning or camera capabilities. And it's pretty expensive. I won't be investing in one, but that's hardly a surprise since I don't own/use any Apple products.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Someone made the point in The Guardian that it doesn't have a lid like a laptop or any way of protecting it, making sure the screen doesn't get damaged. It doesn't fit in your pocket. I guess they'll sell a plethora of bags and cases to keep the things dry.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/ (Scroll down to the end)

There is an official cover which doubles as a stand - looks very nice, don't know if it comes with it.

Secondly it was never meant to fit in anybody's pocket.

And it's not meant to replace your phone. It's meant to be more of what a laptop does, a webcam built in would have been nice though.

Y4Ar5.png

the iPad is targeting is the casual users who don't want to learn how to use computers, they want something that can do a few things that they want (i.e. show off photos to their friends, read magazines), and do it extremely well, it's not a netbook, far from it.

Attunement.png

http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/ (Scroll down to the end)

There is an official cover which doubles as a stand - looks very nice, don't know if it comes with it.

Secondly it was never meant to fit in anybody's pocket.

And it's not meant to replace your phone. It's meant to be more of what a laptop does, a webcam built in would have been nice though.

No.. It's not included.. But IF I get one (very unlikely) I'll definitely get the case. It not only protects it when it closes, but it acts as a stand, like you said. However, if the case doesn't leave gaps at the end to plug it in/use the dock simultaneously I shall be highly annoyed.

My official verdict (and respective blog post (shameless self-plug :P)) will come as soon as it gets in the Apple Stores, and I get in one to try one out. I don't think ANYONE's opinion is, in my opinion, properly valid. They have seen pictures and, though not always, a small demo. People need to TRY to see if they want to BUY. (or make an opinion at least! ;))

samozzy.png

Try to bear in mind that I'm a massive Apple geek, and as far as I'm concerned what I write next is sacrilege.

I don't want it.

After extensively looking over EVERYTHING I can find, tech specs, Videos, etc. etc. I've concluded that it is a Fat iPod Touch. There is nothing revolutionary, Nothing you can't find anywhere else, and nothing that makes me want it more than a iPod. It essentially has the bulkyness of a notebook, with the functionality of an iPod. And thats a very poor mix. It has nothing appealing that I can't get on my Touch, can't fit in my pocket, and is... poor. A poor attempt at getting something new out. If it was a proper Tablet Mac (see the Dell Tablet if you don't quite get what I mean) Then I would be raving. But it isn't. It's nothing.

And I hate myself so much for saying that.

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

I agree with what people say about it just being a big iPod Touch. The idea of having the apple-monitored app store being the only way to get apps onto it (unless you jailbreak) is always a bad thing. I do realise it means not having to hunt around the internet for apps but it also means you don't get quite a lot of decent apps just because they compete with apple ones or they break apple's terms of use when they're really not that bad. Not to mention the fact that it doesn't have multitasking and it's meant to compete with netbooks and it doesn't have a camera or countless other things.

Also, netbooks cost a lot less than that. If you were going to pay that much for a computer, you wouldn't get a netbook - you'd get a laptop or a desktop so in a way it should be judged alongside those. And when judging it in that way, it's safe to say you'd be much better off spending your money on a 13-15 inch laptop or a desktop than a giant iPod Touch.

www.GottaBeAndrew.com