Unofficial Mills

Matt Edmondson joins BBC Radio 1

Jono

It looks like we have a new Radio 1 presenter and a new alternative to Perez for Fearne's show...

446matt_edmondson.jpg

BBC Radio 1 announces today that rising star Matt Edmondson is to join the station.

Matt is to appear on Fearne Cotton's morning show every Friday to report on all the latest entertainment news and showbiz gossip.

He'll be hosting some shows too – deputising for presenters when they are off.

Even though Matt is just 24 he has a string of TV and writing credits to his name from hosting T in the Park coverage for BBC Three, writing and presenting for Holy Moly and fronting cult online music show Pocket TV.

With his relaxed, conversational and fearless approach to showbiz interviews, Matt has a reputation for being able to get the best out of his interviewees – from putting Sir Alan Sugar through his paces for a job as a janitor, discussing judging dog competitions with Simon Cowell and giving advice to Marilyn Manson!

Matt says: "I've not been this excited since I got a Superman costume for my fourth birthday. I am genuinely delighted to be joining Radio 1 and working with Fearne – I can't wait to get started."

Ben Cooper, Deputy Controller, Radio 1, says: "Bringing Matt to Radio 1 continues to demonstrate our commitment to developing new and young talent at the station. I'm pleased that he is joining our growing stable of young talent to line up alongside the likes of Greg James, Annie Mac and Dev."

Matt makes his debut in Fearne's show on Friday 15 January between 10.00am and 12.45pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2010/01_january/08/matt.shtml

I don't doubt we'll see him the line-up in September to be honest if it works but probably weekend breakfast or early breakfast. He could end up another Miquita Oliver though.

They picked a good day to announce it - Annie Mac out of the country, Sara Cox ill, Fearne Cotton ill and Huw on the air.

I'm in the target audience and I don't want young people presenting. I want characters and institutions such as Coxy, Chris, Scott, Zane, and even Annie Nightingale and Jo Whiley. Its better when their older because theres always that little bit of you that wants to work at radio 1 some day, but if everyones young and nearer to the audience, then theres less of that. Because you don't have time to get your foot on the ladder. Radio 1 is an institution and these people might have some talent or a bit of stardom but their not institutions yet, because they've not worked up to it. I don't like this fast tracking and picking of people just for their current celebrity standings.

Sam

I'm in the target audience and I don't want young people presenting. I want characters and institutions such as Coxy, Chris, Scott, Zane, and even Annie Nightingale and Jo Whiley. Its better when their older because theres always that little bit of you that wants to work at radio 1 some day, but if everyones young and nearer to the audience, then theres less of that. Because you don't have time to get your foot on the ladder. Radio 1 is an institution and these people might have some talent or a bit of stardom but their not institutions yet, because they've not worked up to it. I don't like this fast tracking and picking of people just for their current celebrity standings.
To be fair, people like that are institutions BECAUSE they've worked at Radio 1. Chris, Scott and Coxy all started there in their early 20s, and it's only because they've been around for so long that they've acheived their current status. I like the sound of Matt Edmondson, and I reckon he could grow into a really good presenter. It's nice that they're hiring someone a bit different and a bit edgy too.

To be fair, people like that are institutions BECAUSE they've worked at Radio 1. Chris, Scott and Coxy all started there in their early 20s, and it's only because they've been around for so long that they've acheived their current status. I like the sound of Matt Edmondson, and I reckon he could grow into a really good presenter. It's nice that they're hiring someone a bit different and a bit edgy too.

Scott's been in radio since he was 16 was it? And Chris was at loads of stations before Radio 1. Coxy was meant more as a character but she did modeling and TV including a music show before then co-hosted then she went from there.

Sam

Scott's been in radio since he was 16 was it? And Chris was at loads of stations before Radio 1. Coxy was meant more as a character but she did modeling and TV including a music show before then co-hosted then she went from there.
But local radio just isn't taking the risks on presenters like Chris and Scott like it was 10 or 15 years ago. They've got to find new talent from somewhere.

I rather enjoyed F&R! Though it's now kinda obvious Reggie was carrying Fearne...

Off topic I know but Fearne and Reggie are both better when they are apart in my opinion, Reggie more so than Fearne who has for me been one of the highlights of the September move for me.

Anyway, it seems to me a tad unfair people are slagging off a up and coming young broadcaster before he's even started on the air yet. Yes he hasn't been a radio man so far in his career but that's the way the radio industry has moved now. Give the guy a chance, and to be honest he can't be much worse at filling in than Max.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I was so excited when I heard this announcement!

I love Matt Edmondson, and I think he'll be perfect with his showbiz job. If you haven't seen them already, watch one of his X Factor blogs (e.g.

) - he's very witty.

It would be interesting to hear him presenting a radio show too, I think he could be quite good on his own actually!

I wasn't saying I didn't like him. I was just saying that I don't think that bringing in younger people helps with the target audience dilemma. And if thats the reason why he or anyone else was brought in there is other options rather than just bringing TV persona's in.

Sam

But he's proven to be talented on various things - you just don't like it that he hasn't come from a radio background. I'd rather his route than Fearne's, which is largely preprepared scripted presenting.

No, not quite: just that there will be loads of people who have talent who will never have the opportunity, and that maybe people who already have standing: Ferne, Reggie, Kelly O, Vernen to some extent should stay where they are so that some completely new people like Gregg can come in.

Anyway he's not even got his own show ;)

Sam