Unofficial Mills

Newsbeat and pre-records

whoknowswhy

Are you talking about the fact that the music started before she had finished or was there something else? I think that was because they needed to get the timings correct in order to meet the news on time an hour later and her bulletins were over running

Did you hear the one at 8.30 though? Debbie got in a right pickle with the beds.

Are you talking about the fact that the music started before she had finished or was there something else? I think that was because they needed to get the timings correct in order to meet the news on time an hour later and her bulletins were over running

Did you hear the one at 8.30 though? Debbie got in a right pickle with the beds.

That sounded so unprofessional. There always seems to be problems at this time of year with news.

Was it Debbie or was it Max?

Was it Debbie or was it Max?

It would appear the long silence at the start of the bulletin was Max's fault as the R1 feed wasn't up yet the 1xtra feed was, so 1xtra heard the headlines but everything that went wrong from there on was probably because of what Newsbeat did

I found it quite funny how Debbie played out the closing bed and then Jamie Broughton decided to read the sport when they were only two stories through the proper news and then she added another story on the end. I do love christmas news :hahaha:

Whilst we're talking about messing up the news, I'm quite surprised that these news simulcasts with 1xtra at the weekends haven't messed up more often. It's quite disappointing.

There was a great one on Edith's show a few weeks ago where Edith introuduced "the news and sport with so and so and Jamie Broughton". The newsreader, whoever it was I forgot now read the news, then they both went to read the sport, interupted each other, both stopped and then the news reader just read the sport! Jamie did nothing! Poor bloke.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

• 7 months later...

I bet even I could get them working! It's simple:

News In

Main News Bed

Sports Bed

Weather (not on every bulletins)

News Closer

Easy!

Latest additions:

- Full Imaging Beds package (2009-2010)

- 2009 re-voice by Music4 (DRY+WET IDs, chart numbers 1-40)

- BBC Top Gear - Backing beds used in programs

Well, here's how it's meant to work:

News In

News Bed

Tail Bed

Sports

Weather (on some bulletins)

News Closer.

Here's how this bulletin went:

News In (with no newsreader's voice, as the feed wasn't up)

News Bed (without logo, just faded in from the headlines bed)

News Closer (instead of sports bed, plus, sports was meant to come AFTER another news story)

Final news story (as they presses the wrong button, the sports started too soon, so they had to add the final story after the sports)

Closing Statement (without news closer)

So really, there was something wrong with everything

Latest additions:

- Full Imaging Beds package (2009-2010)

- 2009 re-voice by Music4 (DRY+WET IDs, chart numbers 1-40)

- BBC Top Gear - Backing beds used in programs

… And how do you know if a show is pre-recorded?
there are three hints, but sometimes it's hard to tell.

a) the webcam may be switched off (but it is also switched off during outside broadcasts; or it may be switched on, but then you won't see anybody in the studio)

B) no texts and emails are read out and there are no phone calls (however when Coxy's Lie in was pre-recorded they did do phone calls, but still no texts and emails)

c) the DJ sounds bored. Presenting a show knowing millions of people are listening right now is totally different than knowing that no-one is actually listening and it's just going on tape. Between Christmas and New Year many shows are pre-recorded (Best of Big Weekend, Movies stuff etc), and you notice that there's just no excitement in the voice of the DJs

News are always live, so news is the most interesting bit. News readers have a time window to read the news when a show is prerecorded (two minutes I think). Sometimes there is a 5 seconds silence because the news reader was too fast, sometimes he crashes the beginning of the next recorded bit when he was too slow. Whenever these things happen it's safe to say a show is recorded.

unique...

Fearne did about 2 weeks worth of pre-records over last Christmas, and she made very little attempt to hide it, saying stuff like 'today, I'm probably sat on the sofa watching a Christmas DVD' or 'I'll probably still be stuffed from last nights turkey' etc etc.

Also, this may have been mentioned, but the DJ will rarely say who is doing the news, just incase the said person happens to be ill or not able to do the news.

take control

• 2 weeks later...
c) the DJ sounds bored. Presenting a show knowing millions of people are listening right now is totally different than knowing that no-one is actually listening and it's just going on tape. Between Christmas and New Year many shows are pre-recorded (Best of Big Weekend, Movies stuff etc), and you notice that there's just no excitement in the voice of the DJs

Aha, the final one did make me laugh :D .

It is probably quite true, I've done pre records before and sometimes the mind and voice does wander 'cos you sometimes get sick of having to not say certain things and trying your best to make it sound like it's live-ish and not on memorex.

You've also got to not accidentally drop in references that might make it sound like it's taped. Sometimes, there is occasionally an element of 'fúck it' and hence the not sounding too cheery on occasions.

Plus, sometimes pre-records are done at awkward hours, or times when you just want to go home - I don't blame people sometimes for the lack of enthusiasm. :P

Also, another one is to listen out for mistakes made during the recording that accidentally go on air, and are badly edited out, or not at all ... there is a clip floating around somewhere on t'internet of Spoony (I think?) cocking up a link and then saying a naughty word and and something along the lines of let's re-record that.

Other ones are, listen out for the sound quality. I do seem to remember some Christmases ago on one of the pre-rec Scott Mills shows the audio quality was atrocious; obviously someone must have pinched the sound clips off some website or podcast and reused them on air. 64kbps mp3 eat your heart out.