Unofficial Mills

The Tinsel Takeover

Jono

Wow, what a waste of a day of radio for those who wanted something the whole family could listen to.

I'm sorry but when a bunch of pillocks come on rhyming and playing Top 40 songs I had to switch off. It was a stark contrast from Greg's morning show which was alright to listen to with the family.

I've had to switch to Christmas music because that was too much to take.

It really is rubbish! How did these people get on over me???

I don't care if you can rhyme and also someone tried to say x factor ruined christmas number one but only proved how x factor saved Christmas, because without it the number one would go to utter rubbish!

O well, tis the season to be jolly and all! Merry Christmas UM! :)

It's a nice idea to find new talent.

I listened to some and wasn't impressed.

As cocky as it sounds, I kept thinking I could do a better job, and I thought of better things to say than the people on the shows did.

I'm sure lots of people here on UM could do a better job also. :)

Y4Ar5.png

It's quite rubbish! There was some kind of supposed workout section- sounded like it was recorded in a cupboard for a start!

I'm sorry that my living room isn't up to your sound standards.

I'll be honest, my 15 mins wasn't the best moment of radio ever but it's hard to drum up excitment at half past midnight while the rest of your family are sleeping. Idealy my mates would have been back from uni and we would have recorded it together but it was not going to be.

The fact that any of your thought that this could have been a way to find new talent astounds me. You really think that Radio 1 would judge someones worth on 15 min voiced tracked show?

The idea was for it to be fun, not a bunch of professionals doing a proper radio show. For once on Christmas Day was it really that bad? I'm sure you will survive to the new year after hearing it.

I'll be honest, my 15 mins wasn't the best moment of radio ever but it's hard to drum up excitment at half past midnight while the rest of your family are sleeping. Idealy my mates would have been back from uni and we would have recorded it together but it was not going to be.

The fact that any of your thought that this could have been a way to find new talent astounds me. You really think that Radio 1 would judge someones worth on 15 min voiced tracked show?

The idea was for it to be fun, not a bunch of professionals doing a proper radio show. For once on Christmas Day was it really that bad? I'm sure you will survive to the new year after hearing it.

Never say never - Greg James was plucked from the early breakfast takeovers!

Don't take it personally people's opinions. I think Radio 1 drummed it up as something that it wasn't. If I had been one of those 24 listeners I wouldn't want them to feel disheartened by it - I just think a few of us wanted something a little different on Christmas Day when the family were gathered around the radio.

I think if the format had been tweaked it might have worked better - that's why most of us have moaned - to give Radio 1 some feedback. Not to slag off everyone's efforts! :)

I would like to know what Radio 1 built it up as because to me it's exactly as it sounds. A bunch of amatuers on the radio for 15 mins at a time.

I don't mind people calling my effort rubbish. It clearly wasn't great.

I have always wanted to have my own radio show, although the end resault was poor and probably doesn't represent my best possible effort I'm glad to say that I did it.

I would also like to know how you would tweak it Jono?

i think it was too scripted. i think they should have done something else on christmas day and done the tinsel takeover live for a bit longer. i just think with fifteen minutes you can't be crazy and serious and come out of it without the sort of opinions people have left. if i tuned into scott mills for the first time and just heard him playing with a voice machine i would probably think the same about him. you need to hear a bit more. :)

Having not heard any of it, I can't comment on its output. But I would say please don't get too downhearted about the comments on here. At the end of the day, you had 15 minutes on world famous Radio 1. Keep going. Don't lose track of your dream, and your day will come. You have to work at it, to achieve your goal. So good luck with it mate

take control

I would like to know what Radio 1 built it up as because to me it's exactly as it sounds. A bunch of amatuers on the radio for 15 mins at a time.

I don't mind people calling my effort rubbish. It clearly wasn't great.

I have always wanted to have my own radio show, although the end resault was poor and probably doesn't represent my best possible effort I'm glad to say that I did it.

I would also like to know how you would tweak it Jono?

I heard your segment, well done for having a go and I hope you really enjoyed it, it's a great thing to say you've done. I'd probably have enjoyed listening to it if I could hear it, and that's not in anyway a criticism of you, not at all, but of Radio 1 for broadcasting it with the poor sound quality, it should have been re-recorded. As for the whole idea it's self, Christmas day I'd imagine listening figures are down, so I'd be doing what I can to keep people tuned in, and putting amateurs on air makes me want to turn it off, and not Edith Bowman forces me to turn off Radio 1.

ChrisHewgill.jpg

I thought home alone 2 bit was ok as it was me!!! (re post above)

Ross you did a great job, mine was recorded on an iPhone!! I don't expect a call from Radio One or any other station, not why I did it, it's just nice to be able to say I had my own show on Radio One.

Jono and everyone else are entitled to their opinions, if I am totally honest, I probably stay tuned as I knew I was on. That said it was listeners taking over and each taking their opportunity. Don't get down about a bit of criticism, just take it on the chin and bounce back.... I took loads of stick, it was played out in my packed local, I just milked it, have fun with it and good luck and keep going

Ross you did a great job, mine was recorded on an iPhone!! I don't expect a call from Radio One or any other station, not why I did it, it's just nice to be able to say I had my own show on Radio One.

Jono and everyone else are entitled to their opinions, if I am totally honest, I probably stay tuned as I knew I was on. That said it was listeners taking over and each taking their opportunity. Don't get down about a bit of criticism, just take it on the chin and bounce back.... I took loads of stick, it was played out in my packed local, I just milked it, have fun with it and good luck and keep going

Great attitude, I wasn't a fan of the feature but I had a go and am extremely jealous that I didn't get on, so well done to you! I purely and simple didn't enjoy listenng to it (the whole thing not just yours!) and that's my only reason for criticising!

ChrisHewgill.jpg

Good stuff as long as you and your friends enjoyed it it's all good.

Apologies, apologies- I was criticising Radio 1 more than you! I had expected them to bring people into a BBC studio to record- which now I think about it was pretty stupid, given the time, effort and amount of people they would have had to have devoted to it.

What kind of audience does R1 get on Christmas Day? Is it small enough not to warrant a couple of cover DJs to fill in? I know I wouldn't want to work Christmas Day, but it is national station!