Unofficial Mills

Chappers signs off from Unofficial Mills

Jono

He refused to join until the end but following your messages Chappers contacted me wishing to make one special post on Unofficial Mills:

Now then Geeks,

I write this from the Radio One toilet obviously. I am genuinely gobsmacked by the reaction I have received from people on the text, on my twitter and you guys since Becky and Scott both made a pig's ear of announcing my leaving. So I thought it was about time I wrote you a few words. I can't post myself so Jono will do it for me.

I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you for liking me, thank you for being nice about me even when I wasn't nice about you and thank you for allowing me to live out my childhood dream for the past ten and a half years. I listened to Simon Mayo when I was younger and knew then I wanted to work for Radio One. You can achieve your dreams and to see people write on here that listening to me got them into radio, radio one or football is actually quite humbling. I couldn't have wished for a better time at the world's biggest and best radio station and it will always be that way, unless someone from 5 Live is reading this in which case 5 Live is the biggest and the best. I have worked with some of the best people in the industry in Coxy, Scott, Becky and TOTDS. I have also worked with Dave. Me and Dave are not splitting up by the way, and if the gig bookings still come in and I don't appear like too much of an embarassing dad on stage then we will continue to do them.

Just to clear up a few other queries from people on here and twitter. Scott and Becky will be as amazing as ever next year and I will be listening from the toilet. I asked them to keep it as quiet as possible and not have a big leaving build up because I simply didn't want a fuss. I get very embarassed by all of that stuff, and I am leaving because I came in to Radio 1 as a sports presenter and that is what I want to do with my career. I can't make grumpy sarcastic comments with the odd nob gag thrown in for ever. I am so lucky to work for ESPN, 5 Live and BBC Sport and have a new BBC1 football show starting in January. Plus I have a football podcast every week and you may have heard I have a book out!!!

So thank you geeks. Have a great Christmas and a happy 2010. I am off to play in the snow with my kids because actually I am a big softie and nowhere near as miserable as a lot of people think!!!

It really has been very very special.

love

Chappers

x

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brilliant stuff. Once again good luck with everything. Good luck also to Man Utd against Leeds next month. With Becchio and Beckford on form, we'll turn you over! (Or maybe not)

Just remembering one of my favourite Chappers memories when he was on Coxy's breakfast show singing the chorus to the Junior Senior song, Move Your Feet (not that they had any other notable hits!)

take control