Unofficial Mills

iPODs

Viv

I am thinking of getting myself an iPOD in the near future, as I've decided to become a bit more.... er.... modern!!

What would people recommend?? I've had a look on Amazon this morning, and quite fancy a pink Apple iPOD. However, one of the reviews says you have to charge for 4 hours. Unfortunately, I will have to charge for only 3 hours (or less) at the library - does this matter? Would it still work anyway, even if not fully charged??

One review, btw, says this particular iPOD shuffle is great, another says it's not downloading the itunes, so it's best to have an ordinary MP3.

Advice / opinions would be really appreciated - thanx. :-)

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

For newcomers who want nothing but a good old music player with the odd video, then the iPod Nano should suffice.. I wouldn't recommend the Shuffle, it's hard to maneuver... Though if you want a bit more, go for the iPod Touch, it's the iPhone, but without the phone/camera. It has Wi-Fi (internet), apps, app store, you can download music on it (impossible on any other iPod, as far as I'm aware) and more. If you have a HUGE music library (I'm saying more than 30GB, unlikely), then you'd want the iPod Classic.

samozzy.png

Would you not have some difficulty getting music onto it if you don't have a computer of your own? If it's only charging that's an issue you can generally get wall charger kind of adaptors for them.

I'd recommend getting a Sony instead. My Sony is drag and drop which means you don't need any awkward software like iTunes, you just drag the stuff you want like onto it like you would to a USB stick. Or you can get cheap, low capacity mp3 players from pretty much anywhere for about £20 if you just want something to listen to while running, for example. No need to splash out £200 on an iPod if it's not what you need :)

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

Personally, I wouldn't be keen on buying things (such as music from iTunes) on a public computer to sync up to an ipod/mp3-player because of the potential security risks... I think that should maybe be a bigger consideration in this case than the merits of Apple products versus the others.

Consider buying a little netbook for close to the price of an iPod Touch and an internet connection for home first, Viv.

Smashing. Thanx for all the advice!! I hadn't realised there were so many security risks, so it's really good to know. :-)

Yeah.. Even if you just get a normal MP3, I'd advise getting your own Interwebs/Computer too, it'd be more convinient, otherwise you'd have to go to the library to charge it when it runs out or fork out an extra £20/£30 for a mains charger.

samozzy.png