Unofficial Mills

New male voiceover on Radio 1

jimbos

BBC Radio 1 are updating their station sound from next week. Already hinted at by Becky when talking about an email about the Podcast stagers, Jody Latham has been replaced by a new male v/o. It also sees a subtle name change in the vox. Listen to Radio 1 in the coming days and weeks I say. :)

Edit: Audio is here - http://www.unofficialmills.co.uk/communities/showthread.php?t=12268&page=2#18

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did notice the Big Weekend was referred to as 'BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend' on the promos and logos this year so it wouldn't surprise me. Heard a promo for Switch today as well and they used the full name.

When was the last time Radio 1 emphasised the BBC part of their name?

I'm pretty sure they advertise it as "BBC Radio 1 at Download" too.

I was starting to wonder whether the female voiceover who does a lot of the INMWT voiceovers was going to get more involved with the station - she's now doing stuff for Grimmy's show.

Guest inxces4308
I'm pretty sure they advertise it as "BBC Radio 1 at Download" too.

I was starting to wonder whether the female voiceover who does a lot of the INMWT voiceovers was going to get more involved with the station - she's now doing stuff for Grimmy's show.

No, that was just 'Radio 1 at Download' - well thats what the presenter said on the main promo.

Its about time to shift Jody off the imaging, its just past the big weekend and they change the male and female in alternate years so that it changes every 2 years after the big weekend (if that makes sense!).

I'd imagine it will be a voice that we haven't before so that Radio 1 stands out against its competition

Look forward to hearing some updates, there imaging is getting shockingly bad at the moment, hopefully it will get a little better with this refresh.

Already hinted at by Becky when talking about an email about the Podcast stagers

When did she say this? Anybody got a clip or exact time for the Iplayer? I don't tend to listen to the show that often!

Guest inxces4308
I don't like that vioceover

Everybody says that to start with.

I hated Holy to start with and the newsbeat stuff, but got to like it.

Also to be fair, when they say the 'BBC' on Radio 1 it sounds alot bigger and more professional....Will listen back to chappers and dave later probably to hear some stuff.

Good god it does sound like Dave with some weird reverb. Wow, they really have gone for bland. One would assume they just couldn't afford Jody Latham! Never mind it'll grow on us I'm sure.

Turns out it's this chap - a student who is doing the voices: http://twitter.com/d_c_w/

I think they're going for the young sounding idea. They'll end up bringing that squeeky girl back from a few years ago too no doubt ;)

radio1voiceovers_june09.mp3

Yakkk that sounds AWFUL! I'm not just saying it because it's new- it ACTUALLY sounds terrible
I don't think it sounds terrible, in fact it sounds OK, but it makes Radio 1 sound younger (too young in my opinion) and also it doesn't make it sound very 'big' or authoritative. You wouldn't know by listening to the jingles that it's got 11 million listeners.

Guest inxces4308

Sounds very very young and the new R1 jingles sound very very cheap in places....perhaps thats what they where going for?

They have gone very very bland now and lost the spark that R1 had always had....It just seems to be pitch bend after pitch bend with echo.....Zzzzz

I think the thing is they rush these new voiceovers out. Holly from Maidstone was all over the place in the first few weeks. She did eventually improve when they put in some work. Maybe that'll happen with this one.

He's not that bad on the 1tros it's the news he seems a bit out of place for. I notice there INMWT voiceovers were also used for Vernon's show at Silverstone. I think we'll be hearing more of them to balance things out in the next few months.