Unofficial Mills

Viv's Online Guide To Edinburgh!!

Viv

I'm not going to have the time for this next week, so am doing this today!! This guide should help (hopefully) people to understand what's on offer in the capital, plus advice regarding travel, accommodation, etc. for those of you who get lucky and get tickets to Scott's musical. :D

Edinburgh's population is almost 450,000, but swells to over 1m during the famous festivals in August!!

For accommodation in Edinburgh, here is a useful site: www.edinburghcastle.biz/edinburgh_bed_andbreakfasts.html. There are also hostels in Edinburgh. EH1, EH2, EH3, EH6 and EH7 postcodes are a good bunch of postcodes, to ensure you are near the city centre.

The number for the tourist information centre = 0845 225 5121 (Monday - Friday, 0900 hours until 1800 hours, and Saturday 0900 hours until 1700 hours). Or e-mail: [email protected] From ROI, the number = 1800 932 510, and from outside the United Kingdom = 00 44 1506 832 121.

You can obtain accommodation guides and maps from the Tourist Information Centre. I already have these, and they're very good.

Edinburgh is a very interesting city with lots to see, including a beautiful castle (love it) ; ghost tours; a great zoo; Palace of Holyroodhouse and excellent nightlife!!

St. Margaret's Chapel, in Edinburgh Castle, is the oldest building in the actual city, built in 1090 no less!!

This year, the Edinburgh and Lothians region are celebrating Scotland's contributions to the World. This is homecoming year: www.homecomingscotland2009.com. This year has been created and timed to mark the 250th anniversary of Scotland's poet, Robert Burns.

Re: travel - OK, so by rail - www.nationalrail.co.uk - Waverley Station is Edinburgh's main railway station.

By bus - Edinburgh bus station can be found in St. Andrew Sq., where most UK bus services arrive.

By air - Edinburgh International Airport is 12km west of the city centre. There is a 24 hour shuttle service. The journey takes around 25 minutes.

Other useful links include: www.visitscotland.com, www.sevendaysscotland.co.uk, and www.edinburgh.org

Re: accommodation PRICES, people have posting about this in the "Musical Topic" - the prices in Edinburgh will all be higher during the August period... the cheapest I could find was £20.00, but typically it was around £35.00 per night.

There are also the TOUR BUSES. You can find these on Waverley Bridge, near the railway station. If you get a ticket, it lasts all day, and you can get on and off the buses, thus enabling you to visit a number of attractions in the city!!

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

I can't get stuff to download... don't know how (must learn), but I'll take your word for it! ha ha

www.hostelworld.com

www.lastminute.com

www.hotels.com

www.pleasance.co.uk/edinburgh/location

Last Minute.com = 0871 222 3200

I forgot my "surviving Scotland" tips!!

1. A Glasgow Kiss is code for a punch!! So, if someone suggests they give you one of these, it's probably best to start running!!

2. A ba'heid (pronounced Baw Heed) is Scottish for idiot.

Oh, and re: pubs... I think Rose Street, behind Princess Street, is the place to go for all the bars??? (please drink responsibly).

• 1 month later...

Oh, and re: pubs... I think Rose Street, behind Princes Street, is the place to go for all the bars??? (please drink responsibly).

Rose Street is good as is George Street, the next street behind again- these will probably all be rammed with tourists though as is festival time!

caitlynmac.png

Viv, thanks so much for all the info.

I moved to Edinburgh three weeks ago (from Brighton - I'm not sure I could get any further from Edinburgh without falling into the sea) and it's actually pretty useful for me in general, as I don't really know anyone here. It's a pretty scary time!

You're welcome, Ortonangel!! It's always scary when you go anywhere new, that you've never been before. I'd recommend the tour buses, situated on Waverley Bridge, near the railway station. If you buy a ticket, you can get a tour of the city, and understand all the history, etc., etc., plus you can keep getting on and off, without it costing you any extra!!

Er.... kizmok, I wasn't actually kidding about the bagpipes!! There was something going on locally!! And I drink irn bru as well, but don't wear a kilt though!! Ha ha!! Or go running through glens!! :hahaha:

The Galleries are a must, lots of Andy Warhol.

Princess St is shut off for vehicles at the moment cos they're putting in the tram lines.

Theres lots of build up to the festival this week, I was walking through today and was bombarded with loads of leaflets. Jerry Springer the musical being a favourite...

twitter.com/emgreatorex

If the weather is nice (as it was this weekend) there are two outdoor bar areas which have been set up especially for the festival, Udderbelly's Pasture in Bristo Square and Udderbelly's Hullaballoo in George Square- great atmosphere and Pimms by the pint :)

caitlynmac.png