Unofficial Mills

The Sun: Moyles to lose the breakfast show

Jono

UPDATE: Read a response from Chris' producer Aled here.

CONTROVERSIAL CHRIS MOYLES, the self-proclaimed “Saviour of Radio 1”, is on his way OUT of the station’s flagship breakfast show.

He will be axed this year after he becomes the slot’s longest-serving host in September.

Chris, 35, is set to smash TONY BLACKBURN’s record of five years, nine months in the hot-seat.

But BBC bosses want a rising star for the prestigious job amid criticism that the station’s line-up is now too old for its listeners.

Drivetime presenter SCOTT MILLS will be asked to step in while a replacement is readied for the prized post.

A source at Broadcasting House said: “The BBC were planning to break the news gently by convincing Chris it was his decision to quit.

“He will be totally devastated to leave. His ego will take a battering.”

Award-winning Chris, from Leeds, replaced former breakfast host SARA COX in 2004 and quickly brought back a million listeners.

He now regularly draws more than seven million, but has often hit trouble with ill-judged comments — including a “gag” this year about Nazi concentration camp Auschwitz.

A station source said: “He’s been involved in big controversies. Patience was beginning to run out.”

Last night a Radio 1 spokesman insisted: “We’ve no plans to take Chris off breakfast. He hosts a highly successful show.”

But when asked how long Chris would stay at the station, the spokesman refused to comment.

And The Sun’s highly-placed source said: “The early plans to introduce a new generation of stars to the station are now underway.

“Chris is still in the dark about the moves behind the scenes, but Scott Mills has been made aware of the breakfast show plans for the next year.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article2382811.ece

post-5-145327872298_thumb.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's the sun creating shit. they've had it in for him for a while now. he is doing too well to just get thrown off breakfast unless there is a major shake up on the way. andy parfitt was praising chris moyles just this week and didn't sound bothered by the demographic issues: http://www.unofficialmills.co.uk/communities/showthread.php?t=11687

it would be a big disappointment if scott was given breakfast too as it would only be temporary until someone else could be found and then they have ruined two decent slots.

I was listening this morning and thinking he sounded as funny as ever. We know Sara Cox is parked in a slot she doesn't want - judging by the pre-records and there is a huge question mark over weekend breakfast when Grimmy goes to Colin's show. I just don't see it effecting breakfast. It hasn't been long since he gained half an hour!

Personally, I think it's quite unlikely. It's been a long time, I can understand them wanting something fresh, but at the same time the show is in a strong place. It's sounding good, it's in its stride, and is a good, solid brand. It's not just Chris Moyles presenting it, it's "The Christ Moyles Show", it's got the signature beds and jingles, the structure, it's the show that has the promos all over Radio 1: to a degree, it does make up an awful strong point for R1 aswell. Audience figures have dropped a bit, but they're still extremely strong.

However, there has been a bit of a turning in the mass media, moreso than usual, but I'm sick of the newspapers and their tirade against anything questionable for the sake of destroying the BBC. Moyles may have said some stupid things, and maybe did need a bit of a wakeup call, but I'd really like to see Radio 1 stand by him, and Aled and the team keeping on working well to keep the show going, and keeping it sounding fresh.

I'm reminded of a clip I heard on ChrisMoyles.net the other day, trying to find it, where Chris is ranting about everyone saying "just be a little bit careful this morning". Just wish the papers would shut up, and let them get on with a great morning show.

BritishGaming.co.uk | SciFi.co.uk

It's not just Chris Moyles presenting it, it's "The Christ Moyles Show", it's got the signature beds and jingles, the structure, it's the show that has the promos all over Radio 1: to a degree, it does make up an awful strong point for R1 aswell.

God, don't tell the Daily Mail that. The religious right-wing will be all over it like a fly on turd.

Well i sincerely hope its not true. Its very bad timing if it is, what with his on stage appearence at the big weekend coming up.

The bottom line here is that Chris is the most succesful dj in that slot ever on radio 1. The facts and figures show that. A replacement will be hard to come by

take control

Hello,

You are all forgetting that the BBC are under pressure to cut the costs of high paid stars. Chris is free lance which is very expensive. Radio 1 would save no end by using an in-house presenter. With contracts up for renewal soon it looks likely Chris will be get a much smaller offer which it sounds like they do not believe he will take.

I think they are all expecting him to go within the next 18 months but it sounds like this news has been put out by the media to ensure he goes sooner. Gordon Smart's articles don't usually make front page unless there is credible information behind it.

The BBC are very unlikely to do anything but deny this report. It is in their interests to support their DJs until they leave. It sounds like they are fearing the RAJAR figures will not remain successful.

Original post updated as the full story is now up.

As I expected, Scott is planned to stand in for a bit if deemed true. Could explain why our newbie reckoned Scott was looking very miserable yesterday!

Drivetime presenter SCOTT MILLS will be asked to step in while a replacement is readied for the prized post.

A source at Broadcasting House said: “The BBC were planning to break the news gently by convincing Chris it was his decision to quit.

“He will be totally devastated to leave. His ego will take a battering.”

If true it's very much a mess. They should be maintaining those seven million listeners not messing with them. The breakfast show is the main slot on the station and it doesn't sound like they have a clue about who should takeover. I think they should rethink this.

Cost analysis by Andy is interesting. I don't know anything about financials, and am weary of trusting newspaper figures seeing as despite the BBC telling them the Radio 1 advert cost half as much as reported they continued to use the reported figure... but I can say that to me, that's possibly the most realistic way of it happening, if it does. Though it would be a grave mistake. Scott Mills only as a temp replacement makes me wonder who would do it... and I don't know. It wouldn't be Greg, anyway in the chain of how things are right now he'd be covering Drivetime when Scott is covering Breakfast - and even though they may go with someone like Reggie, it would be a big, big mistake.

However, "break the news gently by convincing Chris it was his decision to quit"? That'd never work. He is the last person that would go quietly. Newspapers wouldn't want to carry his side, but he's the sort of person who would openly talk about the Beeb conspiring against him if it were to happen. One of the few that broke rank to talk about Ross/Brand, and often will criticise the current climate.

It's more that Vernon was filling for Chris himself, rather than Scott's team doing the slot - and it was Chris' choice of Vernon.

Anyway, on a funny note, this whole thing about leaving Radio 1 and replacing Chris is VERY funny to me right now, and uh, that may be made a bit clearer on Sunday's Lie-In. XD

Do you think they are wanting Vernon to do breakfast? They did let him cover for Moyles instead of Scott...

Vernon would still be freelance so don't think it would cut costs too much. They would be paying for a production company of some kind to sort it all.

he would have been told this before it got to the papers & as for a "new & upcoming" dj to replace him, there are none at Radio 1 who could take the job on, not sure about any other djs though.

if he is pushed (which i doubt - he would rather go out through the gates of hell on fire) R1 will lose a lot of listeners as he is still so popular and as for a younger audience is there really one out there?

i have heard a bit of my local breakfast shows and they are absolute crap. one station - galaxy - the presenters are about twelve years old, i thought the BBC was supposed to be different from what the other stations put out and they are.

if the BBC bosses think im to old for Moyles & ready for Wogan! they are VERY much mistaken incalculably so, i would rather listen to paint dry than Wogan !!!

Vern won't do it as it would interfere with his family life which he has said he will not do.

:)

Why?

As Jono suggests, shameless plug.

Well, I did the Shuffle for this week's Lie In (recorded Wednesday) and uh, there's some joking about succeeding Moyles and leaving Radio 1... Oh yeah, she said she'd still be there in 20 years, and I said something about holding on to the doors when being thrown out.

Just amusing that a prerecorded show has become topical!