Unofficial Mills

Would you meet someone off the internet?

Bumble_85

Does what it says on the tin.

I've had some odd conversations about this recently. Mostly with housemates. I've met plenty of people from the internet and arranged to meet more and they've all been lovely, interesting people. Yet some of my friends think I'm odd(er) for this and say they would never meet anyone from the internet ever but can't really give a reason why.

I met my best friend (and ex...) in October in Manchester and he was originally an internet freak*. I've known him 6 years and met up plenty of times before and yet I got plenty of texts off my friends asking if I was ok and things. It was most odd.

And of course my other best friend is originally an internet freak and I honestly have no idea what I would do without her now.

I threw a proper fit when my brother accused her of not being 'a proper friend' once because I'd met her on the internet. She's the only person who has never not been there for me. He hasn't tried that argument since...

*Internet freak is used as a term of endearment and I add freak onto internet when talking about people without even realising.

So I'm intrigued to know what all you internet freaks think! ;)

There/ They're/ Their. Different words.

I met my best friend on an Internet forum, And although I've screwed up multiple times with him, since we still promarily talk on the 'net, it's easy to patch up. Seriously though, hes done wonders for me lately, and I love him to bits (as a friend, nothing more xD)

Hopefully he'll be going to Alton Towers when I go in 26 days, yay!

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

I've met quite a few people off of the internet and it was a fun time. Never had any problems with it, one of my best mates I met through the net. She lives in Portsmouth and we both drive to see each other at least once a year. Depending on time and money.

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

I know what you mean. I've met 7 people off the internet. I just find people's reactions to that are funny. There's still a stigma attached, as though you met them in some kind of dodgy chatroom or as though anyone who wants to meet someone off the internet must be some kind of weirdo/stalker/paedophile/generally have bad intentions. I find myself being vague about how I know people sometimes.

I've met 7 people off the Internet. 4 lovely people off this site (although none are currently regulars), 2 for my dissertation and 1 who randomly added me on MSN messenger about 5 or 6 years ago when he meant to add someone else, we kept chatting, and then in December we met up in Brighton because he's now at uni there.

Oh and I have loads of friends who I only talk to online or sometimes by text, most of whom I've never met (but might meet in future), and a few of whom I went to school with at some point but don't see much and mostly talk to online. And this group of people has been with me through all the difficult times I've had in the last few years. In comparison, the people I considered close friends at school rarely talk to me any more and the people I know at uni I've hardly known any time. I don't know what I'd do without my internet friends.

'Forget happiness I'm fine, I'll forget everything in time'

I've never met anyone from the internet, im one of those people who think all people wanting to meet off've the internet are "weirdo/stalker/paedophile/generally have bad intentions" but i think thats only because ever since i was little whenever i join something new like facebook or bebo or even when i added msn my parents have always said i dont mind you using it but please be careful and dont meet anyone you've met of the internet they could be dangerous. I spose if i was talking to someone for a while i felt they were in fact the person they said they were that i would meet them.. in an open space like starbucks or something but i think i would still always feel a little bit scared just incase.

Yeah, there was a phase I went through of meeting people. Mostly those that I'd spoken to for a while on MySpace.

Some I met a few times and some were just the one off meeting. I think I was more bothered about what they would be like and what they would think of me, but I think it was a good test of finding out what strangers thought of me.

I made sure it was somewhere like the city centre in Norwich as opposed to anywhere creepy although I did meet Hannahisgreat in London and that was probably the riskiest yet I met her a few more times in the capital.

Ellie added me on MySpace first too and that wasn't a bad result :)

I'd definitely meet up with UM people as I know most of you pretty well by now, and as such wouldn't be too nervous about meeting up with any of you in real life. Telling my parents about it might be a bit trickier though, they do know I come on here but I'm not entirely sure what they'd say if I ever told them that I was going out to meet up with people I met off the internet. There is a bit of a stigma attached to meeting people off the internet in real life unfortunately, I'd probably only do it when I wasn't at home to avoid the hassle of having to explain it all to my parents, as they'd probably ask me a lot of awkward questions. But generally I trust that you are all who you say you are, so I'd be more than willing to meet up should the opportunity arise (and I'm not at home at the time).

On the other hand I don't honestly think I'd ever consider meeting up with anyone I'd met on MySpace/Facebook, there are a hell of a lot of weirdos on social networking sites and I'm very careful with who I add, these days I don't add anyone unless I know them in real life or I've spoken to them on UM. Same goes for MSN as well, I don't add anyone unless I know them.

So save the last dance

For me my love 'cause I

I see you as an angel freshly fallen from the sky...

Was he going to be who you met?

Nope. That'll be the very modest Northern meet next weekend that she's referring to.

I would agree with everything that Helen said above (apart from the parents bit as it doesn't really apply to me any longer, haha).

Everyone knows where I met the boyf.;)

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

I met my partner here, as many of you know - and she's the best thing since sliced bread.

I think if you're sensible about it and really get to know the person beforehand by talking extensively via all available media before you meet them (with practical safety concerns observed, as you would any with any other meeting), then why not?

Getting to know someone via the internet shouldn't have the social stigma it does really. I have found it has let me actually TALK to people way more than meeting them randomly in a pub or club would, letting me decide whether they were worth my attention in person or not, much better than otherwise.

I'm not sure I've put this very well, but hopefully you get my drift.

I think i would be happy to meet someone if i got to know them and had spoken on the phone and stuff.

If you're sensible and you only meet people who you speak to often and dont go meeting some stranger in a quiet place then its fine.

i stay in touch with people who ive only met a few times on facebook/ MSN but thats not the same as if you've never met them

Guest CancerForTheCure

I've only met one person off the internet. I've known him for about 4 or 5 years now and we used to be really really good friends. At the moment I don't really have enough time to talk to him regularly but I really miss those conversations. I think I met him after 2 years of knowing him and he is one of my favourite people in the world :)

What's different about meeting people from the internet and bumping in to people you don't know walking through the town centre?

There may be a few loonie bins knocking about the Internet, but I can gurantee there are more loonie bins who don't come online, yet you walk past hundreds of them each day.

For every bumhole that you come across online, there are 9 other genuine people out there who are online just for the same reason you are, to pass time. Just because you're on a forum or in a chatroom, it doesn't make you weird.

I'd meet anyone, I'm not really bothered.

I met my ex online. He flew here first and then I flew to the UK to see him...twice. Although my family were a little worried, I still did it. And aside from the end, it was a very fulfilling relationship and the longest one I've ever been in. So, I don't think you can really judge someones sanity nor motives just because they're online. Who isn't online these days? Its just another means of communication. Times are changing.