Unofficial Mills

Music : Old Versus New!!

Viv

The Mills says that music from the past is worse than today. What do you think of this? Personally, I found yesterday's broadcasting between the hours of approximately 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. a lot of guff (polite version). :evil:

There's some great stuff about right now - e.g. Friendly Fires (love that) and MGMT, but there's great stuff from the past as well!!

Scott purposely chose rubbish songs from the 80's, including "Shaddup On Yer Face" (I remember that), in order to illustrate his point. But what about other Bands such as Blondie, The Beatles, etc.

And surely many of these bands from the past are the influence for the generations to come. Check OASIS for example: everyone knows about their love for the Beatles! :evil:

Delta Machine, Depeche Mode - buy NOW !!

http://youtu.be/59dZzXLPRg0

To be fair Scott did say apart from The Beatles (even though I think they are rubbish!!), and Elvis.

My Mum and Dad's music colelction includes The Mama And The Papas. Whoever they were and man their music is rubbish! Mucho prefer the music of today with Slipknot, KoRn, Linkin Park, Metallica, MGMT, The Killers to name a few.

Only 'old' bands I like are AC/DC, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Blue Oyster Cult and one or two more.

So to me yeah I prefer new music!!!

I am Burdened with Glorious Purpose - Loki Laufeyson

Never heard of the Mamas & papas!!

I like both sets of music: i.e. jumping backwards and forwards!! The lie-in on Sundays is always so popular, which proves people want to hear old-fashioned stuff!!

Some of today's stuff can be awful: The Prodigy, for example. That Omen tune they have got out at the moment sounds like something from a horror movie.

Then there's the Red Light Company's "Arts & Crafts" which is dire.

From the past: what about New Order, Depeche Mode?! Love them!! According to EMI, Depeche Mode have sold over 75 million albums worldwide.

I hear New Order's 1983 hit, "Blue Monday" played backwards & forwards on R1.... though, why bother, if music from the past is such trash!

Never heard of the Mamas & papas!!

Yeah I know, really old me thinks!

I like both sets of music: i.e. jumping backwards and forwards!! The lie-in on Sundays is always so popular, which proves people want to hear old-fashioned stuff!!

Some of today's stuff can be awful: The Prodigy, for example. That Omen tune they have got out at the moment sounds like something from a horror movie.

Then there's the Red Light Company's "Arts & Crafts" which is dire.

I only listened to the lie-in for Chappers and Dave. Won't bother now that Sara Cox is doing it, some of the music was okay but at other times it was dire!

Prodigy bring out some great ones like Smack My Bitch Up and Firestarter and then come back with Omen. I agree that track is rubbish and I so won't be downloading it!

But I love Red Light COmpany's Arts and Crafts. Don't know why so many people don't but ah well!

From the past: what about New Order, Depeche Mode?! Love them!! According to EMI, Depeche Mode have sold over 75 million albums worldwide.

I hear New Order's 1983 hit, "Blue Monday" played backwards & forwards on R1.... though, why bother, if music from the past is such trash!

I can't remember that one lol It's just peoples taste at the end of the day. But yeah they are another good band Depeche Mode :D

And surely many of these bands from the past are the influence for the generations to come. Check OASIS for example: everyone knows about their love for the Beatles! :evil:

Blatent plagiarism you mean?;)

It's impossible to pick just old or new. The end.

Agreed. I think you either enjoy music or you don't. I love music so much that it can p*ss off friends and family members on occasion. Got the most eclectic collection on my laptop. Lots of great Spanish and French stuff too. Gonna have a Creedence Clearwater Revival moment later 'cos Steph just reminded me of them.

I would agree that Scott's argument was decidedly dodgy though. He picked a right load of cack from the past. It'll be Englebert Humperdinck next!:rolleyes:

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

Gonna have a Credence Clearwater Revival moment later 'cos Steph just reminded me of them.

I would agree that Scott's argument was decidedly dodgy though. He picked a right load of cack from the past. It'll be Englebert Humperdinck next!:rolleyes:

They are a good band! Bad Moon Rising is my fave of theirs!

Scott does like to pick rubbish and then get people arguing about it. Birdie song was amusin though.

Pleeeeeasseeeeeee releeeassssseeeeeee me let me goooooooooooooooo!!! I just hear Peter Kay now from that advert :)

I didn't know until last night that the "Shaddup On Yer Face" tune was not sung by an Italian!! lol

I like French stuff too, like you, KTWWH - did you ever like Indochine?

i think recently manufactured crap has been automatically filtered out of the charts, i mean you get the odd studio band making the top 10, but nothing like the 90's. like if steps or s club 7 were to exist today, they wouldn't be half as successful.

but the 60, to me, was the time for good music, when artists couldn't mime, and everything was original. however there's still very good bands around today.

They are a good band! Bad Moon Rising is my fave of theirs!

Scoot does like to pick rubbish and then get people arguing about it. Birdie song was amusin though.

Pleeeeeasseeeeeee releeeassssseeeeeee me let me goooooooooooooooo!!! I just hear Peter Kay now from that advert :)

This is pure class, definitely my favourite:

I like French stuff too, like you, KTWWH - did you ever like Indochine?

Yes I do. I also rather like Carla Bruni (the president's wife):

, Serge Gainsbourg, Manu Chao, MC Solaar, Edit Piaf and Charles Aznavor obviously and I adore Saint Germain:

Enjoy.:)

'To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity'.

to be honest I'm not keen on music from today. Well, the "mainstream" music anyway (I.E all the crap played in the daytime), but there are a few gems out there. Friendly Fires, White Lies, etc. But I like the more alternative/electro music I listen to. There are a few rather good bands from the past though, to name a few:

Smiths

Pink Floyd

Joy Division

The Beatles

Just to name a few. Basically, music from then, and music from now, can't be compared. they're equal, as long as you compare the good stuff and not the bad (like scott did the other day...).

Nik B.

Born to Toads.

All music can be appreciated form some angle from any genre or age. My 2 favorite artists are Duffy (from present) and The Sweet (started in late 60's I think). So why don't we all join hands in a unity of musical appreciation.

The geek formally known as Scott Mills Guru

Thanks, KTWWH :-)

The Beyonce "Single Ladies" contains some of the worst lyrics I have heard in my life!!

its catchy though, as much as i dont like the song. i love that fact my 2 year old cousin copies her dance routine really well (for a 2 year old :D)

Anyway yeah at the moment i am prefering bands like black sabbeth but i am also listening to more recent songs, i do like a bit of both

Kitty <3

Ive got a friend who pobbibly has the worst taste in music ever. Just some of the things on his ipod are, Motzart, The lion King album and s club 7.

I listen to some things from a while ago but mainly popular bands that are still quite popular now like queen.

to be honest I'm not keen on music from today. Well, the "mainstream" music anyway (I.E all the crap played in the daytime), but there are a few gems out there. Friendly Fires, White Lies, etc. But I like the more alternative/electro music I listen to. There are a few rather good bands from the past though, to name a few:

Smiths

Pink Floyd

Joy Division

The Beatles

Just to name a few. Basically, music from then, and music from now, can't be compared. they're equal, as long as you compare the good stuff and not the bad (like scott did the other day...).

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma"- P. Star The Secret Box

to be honest I'm not keen on music from today...there are a few rather good bands from the past though, to name a few:

Smiths

Pink Floyd

Joy Division

The Beatles

You can't go wrong there. They're my favourite bands of all time. I'd throw in the Manic Street Preachers as a fifth.

I get tired of hearing critics make fun of musicians that keep going into their sixties and beyond. Call the Stones old and tired all you want, they still rocked when I saw them on their last tour. I'd wager to say a lot of us won't have that level of energy at their age.

"The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma"- P. Star The Secret Box